main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Quoted for truth.

I just recently re-read the book and it is a book that can easily stand on its own without the rest of the series.

Also, folks . . . if you want to do a spoiler the best way to do it is to use the black highlight function. You should all see the Options on the left hand side of the reply box. Make sure you have Format Bar checked. Then you will see all the options you can use like colored text and underlining etc

For spoilers, just use the black highlight. If you type it in manually use [ hl=black][/hl] (I put an extra space in there so you can see it.

So, if I wanted to type a spoiler about Starfighters of Adumar, I would black out the text and say:

IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME WEDGE AND WHATS HER FACE GOT TOGETHER. IELLA, THAT'S HER NAME. AND THE RIDICULOUS OUTFITS . . . OMGLOLROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Then if someone wants to read the spoiler they can highlight it.

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, just finished reading New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy and I have to say that the second time around I liked it alot more.

It is really interesting to see how Nem Yim and Tahiri discover what Mezhan Kwaad did to both of them by putting Nem Yim's memories into Tahiri. They really had a connection after that and Nem Yim's death was even more poignant. She had finally discovered the origins of the Yuuzhan Vong and with that knowledge she was murdered.

So, instead of logically going on to re-read The Unifying Force book I'm now reading Dark Lord. [face_laugh]

3. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    I finished 'Crystal Star' last night. I just have to say that I have no clue what you guys are talking about. I found this book, somewhat enjoyable. Though it was not the best books of the series, it was not the worst. That honor goes to 'Planet of Twilight' in my opinion. 'Crystal Star' was not very exciting, but it still kept my interest somehow. I didn't even have to force myself to read the book, I just could not put it down. Last night I got home and started on page 60-sonething, and when I got up to drink, I was on page 250-something. At that point I was pretty tired, but said to myself, "What the heck, I'll just finish this tonight" and lo and behold I did. I do have to say that it was really uneventful. All the book is about is Leia trying to find her children, while Han and Luke are on another wild-bantha chase for more Jedi. They all eventually end up together by chance, and all is well. There isn't even a fight at the end of the book between anyone and Hethrir, the bad guy. Hethrir dies because of his own failures. Kinda anticlamactic, but not horrible.

On another note, the bookstore on campus had a copy of 'The New Essential Chronology', so I bought it. It is a heck of a lot better than the old Essential Chronology because now it has what happens in AOTC and ROTS, plus all of the Yuuzhan Vong stuff, and even the Dark Nest stuff. It also has this great map of the galaxy in the back that shows almost every planet ever mentioned in the Movies and EU. I haven't read through it yet, but I can tell it will plae incomarison to reading the books, but will give a nice summary of what happens in each. I am now off to read some of my Physics Textbook, then 'The Black Fleet Crisis' Trilogy.

4. DarthTwiztid

DarthTwiztid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2005
    Well i broke down and read dark lord (in a day and a half at work) even though i still havent found my half finished copy of labrynth of evil. I had low expectations going into it (Dark Lord) and was pleasently suprised by how good that book was!

5. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    can you guys not pull an area 51 on us please
    this isnt roswell
    you dont have to put the black bar things just put a spoiler alert or else theres like no reason to put that info

but it is a lil cooler to have the black bar
    for people who dont know how to read it

6. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    the group decided they wanted to black bar out all spoilers until the book is thirty days old.. this is a new rule for keeping those that do not want to read the spoilers..However some of the books that have been blacked out are WAY over thirty days old.. so ya'll.. I myself would prefer to read what the book is about and what you thought.. and not have the blacked out bars on stuff that came out years ago. I myself love spoilers.. if it becomes a big deal we can make a spoiler thread.. If we do that it will just say

****SPOILERS(books and movies.. read at your own risk)****

7. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, I have no clue what to do about the potential spoilers, so I am just going to make this easy on myself and not highlight. If I happen to spoil the book for you, well, the one I am reading has been out for 8 years, so live with it.

Anyway, back to business. I finished the first book of the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy today, and I cannot wait to start reading the second one. Technically, I am not finished with the book becasue I have te omnibus edition, but I just had to post this now, while it is fresh in my mind, and why I want to finish the trilogy. The books focus on three (as of right now) different plots. If I venture to guess, these will all come together, just don't see how.

One of the stories is about this ghost ship that the New Republic finds, and Lando gets hijacked on. Not that interesting yet, but you never know how this will turn out.

Another story is the one where the Trilogy gets it's name. Leia must now deal with a new crisis facing the Republic, and Han must fight it. This crisis deals with the lost Black Fleet, an Imperial Fleet with new technology that could spell doom for the Republic (*yawn* nothing new there). Just venturing a guess, the New Republic will come out victorious, and all will be well until the next book.

This third story really peaks my interest. Luke is on a quest to find his mother, presumed still alive, after a strange woman tells Luke that his mother may still be alive. The woman (don't remember name at this moment) tells Luke his mother's name in this ultra secret, Super-Force sensitive organization, Nashira. I just wanna see if Luke finds out the woman is lying to him or not. Or if GL really screwed-up with Padme's story.

Well, that's about it for now. I am going to continue reading this trilogy now. TTFN.

8. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    CATHIECAT ! I didn't know you were a character in a STAR WARS book![face_laugh] =D= [face_laugh] :D [face_whistling]

9. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    :eek: NOT THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS!!!!! [face_sick] [face_worried] [face_frustrated] :mad: [face_beatup] :p

I think there are two POVs with BFC - love and extreme hate ;)

Just finished reading Dark Lord and [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Wow! It really does show Anakin embracing himself as Dark Vader.

10. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    I'm on Tales of the Bounty Hunters right now...yeah big surprise huh? :p The last SW book I read was The Mandalorian Armor---I did enjoy it (of course, if it involves Fett, I enjoy it anyway...) I was going to go onto Slave Ship after Tales, but I think I will hit Dark Lord next...I also received copies of Joiner King and Unseen Queen for Christmas as well, so I gotta get those in sometime.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    [face_laugh] o_O [face_thinking] :cool:

12. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Ok, I am not yet done with Black Fleet Crisis, but I just have to say somethign about what I just read. I am about two chapters into the third book, and it just took a major turn for the better. First of all, Chewie is off with his family, when Han is captured by the Yevetha. Now Chewie must save Han, but his entire family goes along. I know this description is kinda lacking, but after reading this, I just flash-foward to Vector Prime and what happens in that book, and I get all choked up thinking about the consequences of that book. I just cannot believe how loyal and honorable Wookiees are. After reading that, I have found another level of my respect and admiration of the Wookiee race. I always repsected that race, but this just raised the bar for any every other race in the universe. I cannot wait to continue reading this, should be done before Friday.

P.S. - Jack, you can quote me all you want on this post.

13. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Man, bless you for liking that trilogy Tim. I just hated it.

OK, in the Census forum they have been having a Tournament and they are on the Championship Round for SW Novels.

Star by Star vs. Revenge of the Sith

14. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I guess I am weird. I seem to enjoy the books everybody else doesn't. I guess I just like reading so much. There is nothing I like more than to lay on my bed and read for hours on end.

Anyway, I JUST finished the Black Fleet Crisis. I do have to say that right now my feelings about the trilogy are "meh." It had its strong points, and its weaknesses. I would have liked it more if the three stories told throughout the book were separate books, and not thrown together. The trilogy just jumped between them all at very good places. One story would end on a cliff-hanger, forcing me to read on until I knew it all. The other thing that really threw we off was the complete difference in how the books were layed out. Book 1 was like a normal book, with each chapter being its own separate entity. Book 2 was three separate minibooks, a la Lord of the Rings style in The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Book 3 was back to a somewhat normal book, but with Lando's story thrown in randomly and not even really a part of the overall plot. It was weird.

One other thing I am now wanting to read is a book in which Luke and Leia learn about Padme. One of the stories in this trilogy was Luke looking for her, but in the end, the main lead he had turned out to be a lie. Now that the films are complete and we know who Padme is, Luke and Leia still do not. I want them to find out who their mother really was, and what she did for the Republic and the Rebellion. How she stood up to Vader, how Vader turned after Padme became pregnant. That's just me ranting and raving. Anyway, enough of that for now. I am now off to start reading 'The New Rebellion', a book I hadn't even heard of until I bought it at Bookman's. It is another female author, so I don't know what to expect.

15. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Read DARK LORD the other day. I enjoyed it. It gave some new insight into how the Sith view each other. No wonder they keep losing.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Tim I so agree.. I would love to read a book about Luke and Leia discovering who their mother was and what she meant to them, Anakin, the republic and the beginning of the rebellion.. though I have to go one step further and say that I would like to see the book reveal that there was a giant secret and in reality she did not die but was put onto a Morichro Trance... and have the book go from there in the past to tell the story of what happened to Padme after ROTS and how she continued to live on for a while helping in rebellion in secret.. then tell the story of her REAL death. What a great story this would make. I want to write it desperately.. just scared everyone will pummel my fan fiction.

17. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I finished The New Rebellion today, and really enjoyed it. The book was written so that each chapter ended on a major cliffhanger, and you had to continue reading to find out what happens. The chapters themselves were also really short, so the book flew by a lot faster. I loved how Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin are all old enough now to start to understand their powers, and have a lot more control over them, yet still be wiley five and seven-year-olds. I loved all of Anakin's practical jokes. I also liked how near the end, everybody's in danger, and Anakin calls Han because he is scared of Kueller. Han's response was so awesome, Han really does have the most sweetest of hearts. If I were gay, and he not married, [face_love]. I also really liked how Luke would not accept Kueller as the man he turned into. Also, the way Luke escapes from Kueller's dungeon is brilliant, and had me laughing at the irony the whole time. I don't know, I can't really find anything bad to say about this book. Oh well, there are just some books like that. As of tomorrow, I start the Correlian Trilogy, then I just have the Hand of Thrawn Duology, and Survivor's Quest, and then I am done with my goal of reading every New Republic Era book in sequence.

18. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Anybody read or know anything about OUTBOUND FLIGHT by Timothy Zahn?
    I ordered it blindly and know nada about it.
    Otherwise I guess I'll find out something about it when I get it.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    you should really read Survivor's Quest before reading Outbound Flight.. I have Survivor's Quest if you want to borrow it btw.

it's about the ship of Jedi and people that plan on making a colony in space and what happens to them.. don't want to say more.. for fear of spoilers.. but it is a book I have been really looking forward to reading.

20. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Ok, I'll borrow it if U don't mind

21. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I don't mind at all.

22. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, I just finished Ambuch on Corellia, the first book in the Corellian Trilogy. It wasn't that bad, it may have been better if I didn't have to read about 6 chapters in textbooks last week and take a rather long break in the middle of the book. I really liked how we finally get to see Corellia. I know we got to see a little of it in I, Jedi, but that was a few chapters, and not really all that much. Now, we have three whole books devoted to that system. The one thing that confused the heck out of me was the description of where the Corellian System is located. The book itself leaves off at a major cliffhanger that just forces you to read the next book. And that is what I going to do starting tomorrow.

23. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I just finished, like thirty seconds ago, Assault at Selonia. It was a great read, though it would have been better if I had the time to read it faster. With Spring Break in less than two weks, I hope to be able to read a lot more. I do have to say that I am enjoying this trilogy a lot. There is a lot more insight into the Solo children, and a lot of history on the Corellian system. This book in particular focused a lot on the formation of the Corellian system. I really liked how the book left me knowing exactly where everything is about to go down, but not how. I am really liking this. I really like knowing what happens in the end, but trying to discover how it all happens. The biggest dissappointment in this book, though, was the lack of Luke. Luke shows up, and has a fairly major role, but is barely in the picture a whole lot. I actually kinda enjoyed the fact that everybody meets up at the end. It just seemed too predictable to happen, so I dismissed it, but it happened anyway. I guess I am just used to reading SW books in which you know everybody will meet up at the end, but not until the end of the trilogy, not the middle of it. I also really liked how the author sets up Luke's love life. This spoiler tag is for Cat, who probably can't stand the fact that Luke marries Mara after the Hand of Thrawn. I will spoiler that one, just like I will spoiler for Jack the fact that Chewie dies in Vector Prime. I don't know, I can't wait to read Showdown at Centerpoint, hmmmm I wonder where this book takes place. After this trilogy is finished, it is The Hand of Thrawn, and then Survivor's Quest.

24. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    I just finished The Dark Nest Trilogy by Troy Denning and right now I'm going [face_frustrated] because once again we are left hanging on stuff.

OK, if you haven't read the books, don't highlight to read.

Troy Denning! You! . . . You!!!!! :mad: GRRRRRR :mad:

1. Great! Jaina is "seduced" by bugs? Oh give me a break. Not Jaina. C'mon! She isn't going to fall for that.

2. I did like Jacen's edginess. I like that for once a Jedi isn't all wrapped up in being sanctimonious and he does something "selfish" to save himself . . . and rid the galaxy of the pest that Ta Chume is. Hate that woman. But now we have the mystery of Allana hanging around. Don't just leave us hanging like that. GRRRR!!!!! :mad:

3. Jagged Fel - for the love of all that is holy you can't leave us not knowing if Jag is dead or alive! We are weak individuals! Don't do that to us!

4. I liked Luke finally getting some testoterol fortitude with Kyp and the Council of Masters. IT'S ABOUT TIME!

OK, is it worth the read? Well, um, I read it. I'd recommend it but you do end up with some frustrations.

The end. :p

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    anytime anyone wants to loan me a copy of outbound flight.. or see if the library has one and Jake can go and get it for me with his library card.. I am so wanting to read it.