Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. JediObiKat Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just finished the trilogy now, and I have to agree with all of your points, Boga! I liked the books, but I thought a lot was left unresolved at the end.
    -Like you said, Boga, is Jag still alive?!?!?! I really was hoping that he and Jaina would get back together by the end of the series, too...
    -Do Jaina and Zekk cease to be "mindmates?" I just found the whole part about them becoming Joiners a bit creepy, especially when they acted like bugs, too *shiver*
    -Does Jacen ever tell his parents about Allana????
    -I definitely like Luke and Mara being able to see the holos of Padmé, but it was never resolved why R2-D2 had the holos in the first place.

-I liked the fact that Luke realized that he was taking the Jedi down the wrong path (i.e. by saying that ends justify the means, etc.) and took steps to correct it. I have mixed feelings about him saying that you have to either commit yourself wholly to the Jedi or get out. On one hand, being a Jedi should be a full-time commitment (like in the Old Republic), but on the other hand, it seems mean to people like Danni and Tenel Ka who want to use the Force but whose 'destinies lie along other paths.' Also, Luke becoming the "Grand Master" of the Jedi order (it sounds a bit Masonic)...yes, the Jedi needed some order, but power corrupts, so we'll see where this goes
    -And, above all I hate bugs. It was neat to have discovered the Killiks, but I completely agree with Han when it comes to bugs.

Overall, I give the trilogy a thumbs up, I thought it was a pretty enjoyable read!
    Has anyone heard anything about books set after this trilogy?
  2. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    remember everyone.. it is okay to post spoilers on books that are past six months old.. esp when they are several years old.. the rest of us .. at least myself I know.. want to read what you are talking about.. the blackout is driving me crazy.. I can't scrub it off and see what is beneath no matter how hard I try cleaning my monitor screen.. and MJDS is thinking I am quite whacko!!8-} ;)
  3. jedimomchandra Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm about half-way through Outbound Flight and I'm loving it! I absolutely love Timothy Zahn's writing style. I've previously read the Thrawn Trilogy and this book is giving me much more insight into the characters and events that take place down the road. After Outbound, I'll start reading the Hand of Thrawn Duology.
  4. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    Hand of Thrawn is a good set.. I am very excited about reading Outbound Flight.. I have read Survivor's Quest and can't wait till I get a copy of Outbound Flight! Let us know what you think of the book.
  5. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Wow, it has been a while since I started Showdown at Centerpoint. God, almost two months of that book sitting in my backpack doing nothing. Well, I just sat down the other day and read it. I said, "screw this, I need to finish this book" and I did in two nights. I have to sya it was a good read, though definately not the best. The entire trilogy was about average for me. There were A LOT of typos, especially in Ambush at Corellia, but the typos got better by the second and third books. The ending to Showdown was pretty good. I definately did not see Lando getting hitched, and for love, not money. There really isn't much to say about the book, it was OK; not spectacular, but not horrible either, just OK. That's all for now. After finals are over, I will start another book, but until then I just don't have the time.
  6. Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I just finished re-reading The Unifying Force from the New Jedi Order series. I must say that re-reading it has made me see the book in a completely different light. I enjoyed it whereas before I hated it. This time I could relax and really read it instead of rushing through it and then feeling ripped off.

7. jedimomchandra Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Okay, I finished Outbound Flight and was really impressed with it. I have to say that I am in love with Thrawn now. I definitely hope that Zahn will be writing more SW novels in the near future. [face_praying] I am now about part-way through Specter of the Past, and I came across a part where it mentions a past connection between Mirax and Karrde. Anyone know off hand what book that might be in? It has me intrigued. Happy reading!
  8. Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Both are smugglers. IIRC, Mirax has run a few shipments for Karrde. Plus Booster Terik and Karrde are friendly.
  9. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    ARGH!!! I want to read this book.. I so need to take care of my overdue library books. I am truly wondering as to why you are in love with Thrawn now.. I am SO INTRIGUED!!! Zahn is indeed great.. I love his books.
  10. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    This is a little late. Anyway, last Friday I finished reading for the first time Survivor's Quest. There are a couple of things I want to say about this book.

1. I rrreeeaaallllllyyy want to read Outbound Flight now.

After reading six of Zhan's seven SW books, I feel it is safe to say:

2. Timothy Zhan is a SW GOD!!!

3. One of the best reads of my life.

That's it for now. I am about a third of the way through Dark Lord right now. Liking it, just got grossed out as Luceno again goes into WAY too much detail about things (i.e. Vader's body in the suit[face_sick]). Don't need to know that.
  11. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Wow, that was fast. I finished Survivor's Quest and started Dark Lord less than a week ago. And guess what, I finished Dark Lord. There really is not much to say about this book other than: so what? I know this has been said before, but the only really useful part of the entire book was the last chapter. But even then, we could all assume that Obi-Wan finds out Vader is alive between Eps. III and IV. All in all, this book was good, but completely useless. Right now I am going to take a long break from SW, and read other books :eek: (I know, is he mad, there are other books). I want to reread (for the umpteenth time) the HP series. I also have a few other books I want to read. Who knows, maybe by the end of the summer I will be back to reading SW books. Meh, whatever.
  12. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    Tim, while I loved all the extra little details thrown at me in Dark Lord about Vader, I too admit a lot of it was just filler.. I did enjoy the new characters added in though, would like to see more of their stories as well... but just not in conjuction with Vader.. I wish it had really been a book just solely about Anakin/Vader and what was going on in his mind.. I still want a book that delves more deeply into his psyche.. and to you and Chandra both.. as for survivor's quest, I totally agree.. I just started Outbound Flight yesterday.. and I am already really enjoying it.. I will keep ya'll posted on this read. Problem is.. after reading it I will have to go back and reread Survivor's Quest to refresh my memory of all the subtleties, I read SQ in Dec 2004.. so it's been a while.

I'm still waiting for GL to allow someone to write more on Padme'!!!
  13. dialswiftjustice Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Cat I need those two SW library books back or the library stromtroopers are gonna come lookin for me!
  14. tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just recently read Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn. My favorite character from the Expanded Universe is Mara Jade. Since being introduced in 1991 as the Emperor's Hand, I always suspected that she may be the one for Luke. But, besides the trade paperback depicting the Skywalkers' wedding day, nothing had been written about the days after Luke and Mara discovered their love for each other until the New Jedi Order series. I was happy that Zahn was chosen to write this novel which depicts the couple shortly after they were married. Nice to see how Luke and Mara grew as a married couple, continuing to learn about one another as any married couple would in real life.
  15. MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Cat has the visual dictionaries that you brought over, she keeps them right beside her, but I don't remember ever seeing the other books you mentioned.. I will ask Frank and Katie though.
  16. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to admit as much as I did/did not like the Callista storyline, sometimes liking it more than others... some of the SWEU authors don't have that great of handle on the SWU in general. but I have to say I had actually rooted for Luke to wind up with Callista, and for Mara to wind up with Lando.. but as it unfolded I was accepting of the scenario, and now I have grown to like it... but the romance of how he was with Callista was actually sweeter.

Dustin, ditto what Jake said in the post above.. but I will ask Frankie and Katie if they saw the books and put them somewhere when cleaning.
  17. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, I JUST finished Outbound Flight. And, wow. I stand by what I said about Timothy Zhan, he is a SW GOD. I loved the entire book, even the battle where Outbound Flight is destroyed. I had no idea Thrawn was actually a decent person. He was not evil in any way. His alliance with Sidious is on situational, because Sidious got to him first. Thrawn is an amazing character. I am now curious as to how Thrawn manipulates Palpatine to making him a Grand Admiral. I sense that Timothy Zhan is not done writing SW books.
  18. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    OMG!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe what just happened to me!!! I could kick myself in the bottom dozens of times over this.. I am only on page 170 and now I know the whole secret!!! I was getting ready to whine about the blacked out portion.. knowing full well it was too soon to post the spoilers this soon after the release of the book... and LOL LOL LOL.. I went to quote your post, do you know what happens when you attempt to quote a blacked out portion of a post.. it shows you what was blacked out.. with the mark up codes to black it out again!!! LOL I just found out the whole darn jist of the book.. Leave it to me to accidentally spoil the story for myself.
  19. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    I am so bad.. I just went page by page and quoted every post with blacked out portions.. and now I know what everyone said.. sigh.. I am a sad and self book ruining soul.. but I just can not help it!!![face_beatup] to self

okay.. now back to page 171 of outbound flight!! O:) 8-} [face_skull]
  20. cathiecat Jedi Master

star 4
    I just finished outbound flight about 20 minutes ago.. what a great book, boy oh boy did it get fast in the last seven chapters.. it moved slow in the first six.. but then it picked up.. and by the final seven it was a page a minute turner.. I could NOT put it down at all. I have to reread survivor's quest now.. just to refresh my memory.. wowsa it was good!! I think Thrawn was an amazing man, the chiss would appear to be much more than I ever thought from the Chiss Ascendancy books I have read up until now. Lorana Jinzler's story more than met my expectations. I just knew C'boath would turn into a mad man before it was over..knowing he was nuts ahead of time helped... but still what a great read!! I would say your sure to enjoy this book if you read it, though knowing a bit about the characters before hand helps.. I would suggest reading the Thrawn trilogy, then survivor's quest and then onto Outbound Flight...and unlike me.. read them in succession.. not years apart, otherwise, like me.. you have to reread them.
  21. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Hey, Im gonna be really bored this summer with lotsa free time on my hands, and I was wondering if I could borrow some good SW Novels. I love reading, but I havent gotten around to it in awhile. Thanks in advance.
  22. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I havent read any of these books this thread is talking about. The only recent SW novels I have read are the Dark Lord rise of Darth Vader, and Revenge of the Sith. Im goin to San Fransisco next tuesday, so im gonna need somethin to read on the plane. Thanks.
  23. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling

star 3
    [face_beatup] Hey sorry I'm being REALLY annoying but I could really use a few books to borrow...
    Sorry again for whining. Got nothin else to do...:rolleyes: [face_whistling]
  24. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Wow, I forgot to post this one a while ago. Backa t the beginning of the month, I finished 'Rogue Planet'. It was a pretty good read. For those that don't know, this tells the story of Obi-Wan and Anakin's visit to Zonama Sekot. It takes place three years after TPM. This book also shows a drastic change in Anakin's attitude. He starts out the book his TPM, immature and reckless self. By the end of the book, he is the more mature (though still whiny) young man he is in AOTC. For those that are interested, this book also brings to light the Yuuzhan Vong in an era that I did not expect it to be in. I would recommend reading this book after you have finished the NJO series (add Outbound Flight to that list as well). It really brings to mind the fact that the Vong have been out there since the beginning, just not in the galaxy yet.

The real reson I am posting now is for the next book I will finish tomorrow. I know I have not yet finished, but I have about 40 pages left. This book is 'The Joiner King', the first Dark Nest book. I am going to say this once, and put it in bold, for Cat specifically (Jake, if you could pass this along) Cat, read this book. Especially pay close attention to the little side-story. (Also, highlight at your own risk). I don't know about the other two books yet, if they continue the side-story of Luke learning Padme's name, and all the events that happen in ROTS. I now want to read this trilogy, not because of the main plot, but this side-story that is already making me anxious to continue.
  25. timstephens4 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I finished 'The Unseen Queen' last night. I just have to say that it continued the goodness stated in the first book. The side-story continues in this book (which is VERY good). Cat, read these books. I know you will enjoy them. I am going to start 'The Swarm War' tonight, can't wait.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie