main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I bought Tempest yesterday, the day after it came out...I think this is a record for me. I've only read the first chapter, but the book is already following a great Star Wars tradition: a character who should be dead is miraculously still alive! [face_skull]

2. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    Come on people, read Legacy of the Force!!!

I just finished Tempest, and all I have to say is...what will Jacen do next?

3. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    I have about 60 pages left in Tempest, but can say a few things about the story. First, Troy Denning is the PERFECT author to write for this series. He has made his career writing about the Solo's, and with this series being centered on the Solo family, Denning is wonderful. I was really surprised to see which characters survived and who made returns in this book. Like the rest of the books in this series, you really need to read ALL of the other SW books before even starting the series. For this book especially read all of Troy Denning's other SW books, because he hints at events that happened in the past a lot, and doesn't explain them. I still do not like where the series is going, but am excited to read it because I want to see how it all turns out in the end. Cannot wait until February for the next book to come out.

4. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I have to ask, had anyone heard of Lumiya before reading this series??
    While I think Lumiya's a good character (well, really bad), I find it odd that the Star Wars book gurus would pick an obscure (at least to me) comic book character for such an important part.

5. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, about as unusual as Kyle Katarn being written into (if only briefly) the Yuz'han Vong invasion series, Jedi Master meetings. As for Lumiya, I haven't heard squat about her before Betrayal. But then again, I don't do comics anymore like I used to.

Vangarian out.

6. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I loved that Kyle Katarn was written into the books, he's great!

7. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    THIS PROVES IT!! PADME WILL RESURFACE AT SOME POINT!! SHE IS ALIVE!!

On another point.. I find it funny that LFI has authors writing for them that don't know enough about the series and add in characters that are deceased.. then again.. perhaps LFI is giving them permission to resucitate certain characters. Either way.. Padme is Alive!!

8. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    In this instance the character should have been dead because she was an adult in the TPM!! (Sorry, Cat, it wasn't Padmé)

9. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Well, Cat? You know you're going to have to write that story of Padme's second coming now. Because if not you, it's just a matter of time before someone else up and does it. Come on gal. Now is not the time to be bashful about it either. Learn from the masters. Then write, write, write. Even if you make mistakes, don't be afraid of ridicule. Seek out those you trust to be your helpful critics, because they will be of benefit to your heart's desire to write that story. DO IT! THERE IS NO TRY! THERE IS ONLY DO!!! O:) [face_love] =D=

10. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    FINALLY, I've received the first three books of the Legacy of the Force series, as my Christmas gifts from my wife. Needless to say I've got some catching up to do so that I may be up to snuff for the next RPG on the 12th of January.

11. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    Get reading Vangarian! I can't wait for the next Legacy of the Force book.

I finished reading Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire and Outbound Flight this past week.
    The Dark Forces book was surprisingly good, complete with a few pictures :) You learn where Kyle Katarn comes from, which for a Dark Forces fan like me was interesting to read.
    Outbound Flight just proves Thrawn's genius. I was trying to tell my dad about Thrawn and what does he ask me but, "Was he the founder of the Blue Man Group?" :confused: ]-} Great book though, Zahn writes some great characters. Did I mention Thrawn is a genius? The only thing I don't get is why a smart guy like Thrawn would go to work for Palpatine one day...

12. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Never mind about Thrawn. Your Dad's cool. [face_laugh] :p :D

13. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    So, I finished the Darth Bane book last night. It was pretty good. The book deals with Bane coming up with the Rule of Two, and how he realized it. If you have played KOTOR, then this book is good for you. It is written by one of the guys on the KOTOR Team. Not much to say about it, other than it was informational about how the Sith think. It really has nothing to do with the rest of the SW Canon because we already knew the major points of what happens, but it is still a good read. The book also explains why the Darth title is used, or not used. All in all, very informative.

14. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Well, I've got my latest copy in the "Legacy of The Force" series of books, "Exile". So far I like how Bloodlines reads. Its much more to my liking as far as that goes with its faster pace. I won't make further commentary as to story line or plot other than that it is a good read. It's rather satisfying that Luke finally wakes up.
    Luke:[face_worried] :confused: [face_thinking]
    Mara::rolleyes:[face_worried] :mad:
    Lumia:[face_devil][face_skull] :mad:
    Lea:[face_shhh][face_love]
    Jacen:[face_liarliar]:confused: [face_talk_hand]
    Ben:[face_plain][face_idea]
    Thracken::mad:[face_skull]
    Han:[face_frustrated][face_cowboy]:mad:
    Bobo:[face_sick] [face_skull][face_thinking]

15. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    I'm really digging the Legacy series. I haven't picked up Exile yet, but just finished Tempest a week or so ago.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of backstory alluding to the Dark Nest series. I hadn't read that yet; I was told it wasn't that great of a series. But since there's quite a few references to it, I've decided to go back and read those before I read Exile...

16. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    The acts of Jacen during the Dark Nest series are coming back to haunt him, I'm sure of that. Those acts are what helped to compromise his earlier convictions later on in the Legacy of The Force series. Oh, and in one of the DNT books you see where Han and Lea had a perfect chance to introduce the deflector technology from Star Trek and completely blew it. [face_mischief] :p :D

17. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I feel so behind the times.. I am going to catch up folks I swear.. in the meantime I am starting Allegiance tonight.. has anyone else other than Cheryl read this one already.. I am told this is one the DSG should really take to. It is mainly about Stormtroopers apparantly.. I will let you know as soon as I complete it.. I am reading Force Heretic I each day I sit at Barnes and Nobles while Jake is at work so I don't have to buy the copy of the book they have.. I guess that might seem cheap.. but I can't find a copy at Bookman's I can afford.. I guess I am in trouble when it is time to read Force Heretic II.. they don't have that one in stock.. but thanks to Kat we now own Force Heretic III. Also everyone.. we now have quite a number of books here at the house on the shelf. The library is growing.. so please do come and check out the books if you want to check anything out.

18. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I just finished reading Exile...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (that's a scream, not a sigh of relief) Jacen's decision at the very end was horrifying. The part with Ben going to Ziost was interesting, but I really think Luke and Mara didn't worry enough that their son was missing. I liked the Zekk-Jag competition that was going on (I'm still rooting for Jag). I was also glad to see Lando back and to see Han, Leia, Luke, and Mara working together once more. Last comment...Alema needs to die already, she has more spare lives than a cat.
    All in all, a good read, and yet again I can't wait for (and I'm dreading) the next book.

19. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Agreed on the blacked out part and same for Lumiya [face_plain]

I really like this series but at the same time I hate it.

I just finished re-reading Darth Bane and I'll again say that this is one of the best SW books I've ever read and I think one of the reasons is because it doesn't involve Saga characters. It firmly and completely solidified the Rule of Two for me.

20. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm catching up, Kathryn. I'm reading Tempest. Boy is Jacen getting arrogant or what? I'm starting to not like this boy.

21. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    and he hasn't even become a Sith yet...I've been ranting about Jacen's behavior for a long time now. I liked him in the Young Jedi Knights series, then in the New Jedi Order he was too soft and indecisive, now he's just doing things that are wrong even to his own conscience because he feels he must in order to bring order to the galaxy. Oy vey!!

22. fishy3232

fishy3232 Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2007
    Does any one have a copy of Exile I could borrow?I've read every other Legacy of the Force book but that one.

23. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    What are the books I've heard talk of that every one "Ooohs and Ahhhs" over?

I stoped reading half way through NJO and never went beyone that (I was going in order from "heir to the empire" on)

24. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    The ones from the "Legacy of The Force", series includes: Betrayal, Bloodlines, Tempest and Exile. All top notch stuff so far. I was partial to Bloodlines with Bobo Fett's story unfolding. While Tempest is a little slow in some areas, it's still getting me fired up at the manipulation of Jacen by Lumiya and the unexpected help she gets from that little vixon, Alema. The only hope I see for Jacen seems to be in young Ben, according to Mara's statement to Luke.

25. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    AAAA, OK. That good huh? A Keeper? The only EU SW book I've kept is "I, Jedi" and "The Jedi Academy Trilogy".
    This takes place after NJO?

Is this the series one of the Solo Kids Turn to the dark side?

So I should pick up copy(s) at C4 and maybe get them signed?