What religious beliefs do you have?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 7, 2001.

?

What religious beliefs do you have?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Christian 585 vote(s) 54.5%
Judaism 25 vote(s) 2.3%
Islam 19 vote(s) 1.8%
Buddhist 20 vote(s) 1.9%
Agnostic 93 vote(s) 8.7%
Athiest 188 vote(s) 17.5%
Other 143 vote(s) 13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Athiest through and through.

And to those that seem to want to spout figures,

Largest Religious Group: Christianity

Largest Organised Religion: Islam/Muslim.

There is a difference.
  2. AurraMouse Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm an atheist, and I find that in this world, it's pretty hard to be one. Every one's god blessing this, and godding that every second, and you cant really complain, because, you're in an unrespected minority.
  3. JediWarrior Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As you may know, I'm Mr. Super-Religion, I combine Jainism, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Hindu, Native and various pagan beliefs into one super-duper religion :D Hey, I take the best of each, and leave behind the messy stuff! :)

Anyways, the following is *NOT* my beliefs, just a summary of many people's in this thread.

God is a concept
    By which we measure
    Our pain
    I'll say it again
    God is a concept
    By which we measure
    Our pain

I don't believe in magic
    I don't believe in I-ching
    I don't believe in Bible
    I don't believe in tarot
    I don't believe in Hitler
    I don't believe in Jesus
    I don't believe in Kennedy
    I don't believe in Buddha
    I don't believe in Mantra
    I don't believe in Gita
    I don't believe in Yoga
    I don't believe in kings
    I don't believe in Elvis
    I don't believe in Zimmerman
    I don't believe in Beatles
    I just believe in me

-John Lennon, 1970
  4. Demodex Jedi Master

star 4
    "Jesus has never let me down, he's the only one who hasn't."

Considering that Jesus is dead, he really hasn't done anything for me.

5. Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm a non-denominational Christian. I go to the largest church in the United States with about 40,000 members, so a lot of people tell me I'm in a cult. But so far I haven't drank cyanide, so it's not one yet. :p
  6. IronParrot Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm an agnostic ex-atheist. You see, I realized that my argument for atheism was just as contrived and unjustified as any argument that attempts to "prove" the existence of a supreme being. God is a matter of Faith, and I'm not exactly the sort of person who just relies on faith.

You want to know what I really believe in?

I believe in the Bohemian ideals of truth, beauty, freedom, and above all things... LOVE! Love is like oxygen! Love is a many-splendored thing! Love lifts us up where we belong! All you need is... okay, okay, I'll stop :)
  7. Primetime_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
  8. ktwsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Protestant. I don't get the whole Pope and Saints stuff.
  9. Demodex Jedi Master

star 4
    "Jesus is alive."

Um, last time I checked, he died on a big cross or something.
  10. Rev-mel'akiym Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Qabbalistic Judaism.

For those of you who aren't aware of what that is, that's Jewish mysticism.

I have respect for all religions (having at one time or another professed faith in most of them). There is truth in every religion, G-d hears your prayers no matter what you believe in. He (I should say It, because G-d has no gender, there'd be no reason for Him to) will take care of you, because you are His child (in a manner of speaking). Eventually, we will all reach a level of unity with G-d and then we will know no pain. There is truth in every system of thought (even Atheism, as weird as that may sound).

To anyone who tells you there way is the only way, whilst that person may believe it and I respect that, I believe they are wrong and frankly that belief does annoy me alot, but I do respect it.

Love each other. That's the key.
  11. Primetime_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    "Um, last time I checked, he died on a big cross or something."

Um, last time I checked the tomb, it was empty.

"Love each other. That's the key."

So, are you claiming that this is the only way?
  12. Rapture-X Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm a Christian, thank you.
  13. Bubba Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Christian and Jew, and I go to a Catholic church. :D
  14. Rev-mel'akiym Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Am I claiming that's the only way? No. I'm just saying that's the key to leading a good life.
  15. AdmiralZaarin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Christianity.
    God and Jesus rule.
    "I am the resurrection, I am the life. If you believe in me you'll ne-ever die!"
    Lyrics to my fav church song.
  16. DarthNut Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Roman Catholic all the way!

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
  17. Ransom Jedi Knight

star 3
    Recovering Catholic. ;)

Agnostic but I wouldn't mind an epiphany. Unfortunately, unlike Augustine I've picked up and read the Gospel many times and it has yet to grab me. I don't understand faith. It is either a self-delusion or a gift of grace from God. I refuse to delude myself, but I'm open to the grace.

I'm trying hard to be the shepherd...

18. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    let's just say that Christianty kept me away from the one I love...so you guess what my opinion is, but I still do respect Christians' beliefs (whenever I have a religious conversation with that special girl, our different point of views are very interesting, so that's a good point for Christianism...). The problem is that usually tolerance is a word, and acceptance is another. That girl tolerates my beliefs, and I accept hers...even though I do not agree with it...Yeah it is a very subtle thing to come down to one of the oldest features of a human being (religion).
    I voted Agnostic. I sure wish I could have voted Jedi. It is to me a perfect incarnation of what I truly belief : no GOD, but a special thing (my grandfather calls it energy and says it has different colors -just like the spectrum- that all have different purposes...don't worry he's not in a sect !), human mind powers that can lead to perfection...
  19. jediguy Force Ghost

star 5
    For all those people that think Atheism is as unprovable as any other Theist religion, you're partly right:

There are two types of Atheism. Strong Atheism and Weak Atheism. Strong Atheists believe that THERE IS NO GOD. Weak Atheists LACK a belief in god.

One is active, and the other is not. Please don't group all Atheists into the Strong Atheist category.

20. FurryDuck Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Aerica Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, I did not know that, Jedi Guy! I learn something new every day....
  22. Redwing Jedi Knight

star 1
    But...but...you forgot "Jedi"! :D

Just kidding. Christian. :)
  23. Ender Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Good point, Jediguy. I should've mentioned that.
  24. ArtyEwok LFL Artist

VIP
    star 4
    Agnostic over here.. and I believe what IP believes. Share the love baby.

Imagine no religion, it's easy if you try. No Hell below us, above us only sky.

@set me=neo-hippy ;)

I don't think any religion is right or any religion is wrong, but this isn't the place to discuss my eclectic beliefs.
  25. Ransom Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jediguy, I think your "weak atheism" is really another way of saying agnostic. If you lack a belief in god, but do not affirmatively believe that there is no god, then you do not have a belief one way or the other. You would be agnostic.

A person would be an atheist, even though he or she cannot prove the non-existence of god, if he or she beleived on the basis of the limited evidence available that it was more likely that a god does NOT exist than that a god does exist. We make decisions based on incomplete evidence all the time. This type of "weak atheist" has an affirmative belief that there is no god, but would be willing to change that view if new evidence (whatever it might be) were discovered. A *dogmatic atheist* is absurd. That is someone believes that it is absolutely true that there is no god. Many religious types use the dogmatic atheist as a straw man to make atheists look like they are being logically inconsistent or hypocritical, but it's just a straw man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.