main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What role does the Walt Disney Company actually play in the day-to-day running of Lucasfilm?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    If we were so wealthy we'd buy back the franchise.

Darth Basin and DarthKuriboh like this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

[​IMG]

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm sure somewhere in Marx Doctrine has a answer to this but I know nothing of Marx Doctrine.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    HAH! Another Imperial faction and Dark Sider leading it is fresh? and the Skywalker/Solo family is in a worse place in the NEU than they ever were in the EU.
    Jumping out of the fire, into another fire.

The only reason the Sith were defeated during Ania's arc (not that I would call that a satisfying ending) was because of the buyout.

Plenty of stories left to tell in the old EU.
    Thousands (if not millions or billions) of years before the Old Republic and Jedi, 20,000 years between DOTJ and TOTJ, the thousand year New Sith Wars, the thousand years of peace before the PT, the Dark Times, other characters during the OT, New Republic and NJO eras. 6 years between NJO and DNT, 4 years between DNT and LOTF, 2-3 years between LOTF and FOTJ and 80 years between FOTJ and Legacy comics. I'd rather have new stories in this era, if they were justing going to jump back to the Empire and a Dark Sider with the NEU.

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

We announce the New World Order of Star Wars, Brother!

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    This is precisely why the EU died unfinished, there was so much potential left untapped. What an utter tragedy.

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    For as much support as these EU groups 'claim' they have and as large of numbers as they 'claim' they have they sure don't have many people willing to do much about it.

The latest project they have has less than seventy people willing to give any type of donation. And I'm sure most of the people who are donating are people who are either running EU facebook pages or are friends with people running EU facebook pages.

https://www.twin-suns.net/?site=tsf&page=donate

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's the Internet my friend. Everyone here is all bark no bite. Meet some of them in real life, and they're facade falls apart.

10. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Darth Droid, thank you for saving me an entire post's worth of typing. Nothing you posted had anything related to my points on how people are ignorant of how corporations act in regards to their subsidiary organizations, and this ignorance is not a rationale to create byzantine theories out of the sky. :*

Ok, Darth Invictus, let us take the idea of direct adaptions of Legends novels, baring the influence/concurrent thematic material in The Force Awakens. Many fans are notorious for any changes to the source material of an adaption; read the Game of Thrones thread for such examples. Changes will be made in the adaption process. Will any potential compression of LOTF, NJO, X-Wing, or any long series show a disrespect to the source material? If Disney went the adaption route there would not be nineteen films. What is the criteria for eliminating this character or that character? How would this not simply result in the same soulless Sauron mentality that you are contending?

jSarek likes this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Heck even if you did a long running series like Harry Potter for example you still have to change thing. I mean I love the Harry Potter movies but there was a lot so tuff cut out from the books. Stuff that I miss in certain areas, other stuff not so much. But it is important to know the medium you are working with

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    So, just so we're clear, you think stories with no ties to the original trilogy were the reason Legends being lost is bad?

Despite that being entirely possible in the new canon?

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    What makes that same potential not available in canon?

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Timeline wise the canon verse isn't as vast for starters, secondly from what I gather its less eventful IU, thirdly I'm just not that interested.

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    That's a whole lot of assumptions save for the last line.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    No the canonverse isn't as vast as the EU was yet. However wait ten years and then we'll see. The NEU is growing at a much more rapid pace than the EU did and its structure is much better as well.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they get content or info for stuff millions of years before the movies, I will be pleasantly surprised.
    What point are we saying for the old EU? Can't really fault it in the 70's/80's and no PT until the late 90's.
    Though, TOTJ first came out in 1993. so the old EU expanded to 4000+ years in two and a half years after the Thrawn books first came out while the NEU is still at what? 66 years?
    Not impressed.

There are connections but the EU was not that bad.

18. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I think it's great they want to develop a bit more organically the past, and have it and its consequences a little more thought out and interconnected than throwing it an author and going, "Make something cool. We'll work it out in retcons." - I truly hope that the first big time jump we get goes no further than 1000 years, with the conflict that's already begun to be described in other media. Flesh that out and what THAT looks like, and then maybe work a bit more backwards so the designs can organically evolve, and look like there's some consistency (unlike, say, TOTJ to KOTOR to TOR)

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I just miss the EU-sheds tears and bashes head against the wall.

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

She lives in you.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker and Daneira like this.
  21. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I don't understand what your first point means, but to your second, you're confusing "less eventful" with "they haven't revealed those events yet." That's the untapped potential we're talking about.

22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yep. I imagine that after the ST is done in a few years and all restraints on content are lifted for the thirty year gap between ROTJ and TFA the NEU is going to be great fun to read for most everyone but the most extreme EU supporters who refuse to get into any universe that doesn't have Jaina or Mara Jade in it.

And if they choose to do a time jump forward after Ep. IX to a point where Rey, Finn, and Poe are no longer living the NEU will mostly be able to fill in the rest of their lives.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I have just received word that my Disney masters wish to dissolve this thread, permanently. The last traces of Legends and its fans must be swept away.*

The question posed by this thread has been effectively answered and the discussion around it seems to have played out. What's left, as far as I can tell, is another retread of the tired Legends/NU stuff we've seen a million times, before, with the same principals emerging to stoke the same flames. No, thanks.

[​IMG]

*How many of you are going to think that this is the real reason and I'm just trying to deflect suspicion with the truth? XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.