main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Speculation What role will Han Solo play in the ST?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by StarWars2015, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Everyone dies, kid. Let it go.

Darth Chiznuk and Sarge like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope to see Han have a smuggler protege under his wing. Give us a good non-force sensitive person to follow in the ST.

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Han should play Leia.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I think he played her during the last trilogy... :cool:

5. Little Mike

Little Mike Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2013
    Maybe Han should just play a house hubbie.

6. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Oh, I absolutely believe it would ruin YOUR Star Wars forever, no question about it. MY Star Wars will be just fine.

And SW2015, honestly, don't you think this Han-worship of yours is getting old (you know, like Han himself is)? And to want him to take five steps back in maturity on top of that, just so you can see an old man trying (and likely failing) to play a role exactly the way he played it in his youth?

Let's be real here: no one's going to fork out their money strictly to see an old Harrison Ford dressed up as a young Han Solo. The young Han Solo you want to see so badly is already dead; he's been dead for decades; he died in the course of his story arc in the last trilogy! Whatever Han Solo is now, you probably wouldn't recognize him; he would neither look nor act like the Han Solo of thirty years ago. He can't; life just isn't like that, not even life in the Star Wars universe. And if indeed they're going for newer, younger blood in addition to the Old Guard, then it's a safe bet that the Big Three aren't going to be so big now. There's little screen time in a two-hour movie for Han to be developed properly as a character if they also have to service two other characters from the OT on top of three or four major characters who will probably become the new leads. And yet you repeatedly demonstrate by nearly each and every post you make that for you, it's all about Han Solo and nothing else; the rest of it, apparently, would be just stuff you sit through impatiently until Han comes back on the screen.

Since I'm probably going to be frowned upon if I just yell again, all I can do is ask it outright, with sincere concern for you: don't you think it's possible that this approach of yours is annoying people?

But to kill the character outright? No, there I completely agree with you; unless it serves the story in such a way as to motivate the new lead characters, Han Solo shouldn't be killed off. In all honestly, that role belongs to Luke, if anyone. By that reckoning, Luke is really the only absolutely essential member of the Big Three that would need to be in Episode VII; the other two are entirely optional.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  7. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I dunno, I think it would be kinda cool if Han goes out in a blaze of glory. How about his death isn't about motivation for the protagonists, and more about a sacrifice to save the protagonists? That is, of course, if the character is to die, which obviously, none of us know.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Force Ghost star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    He should turn into a well mannered, Downton Abbeyesque gentleman in his older years. The 'net reaction would be priceless.

StoneRiver likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Lawgiver & Casual Flyer star 5 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Hokey plotlines and ancient wishes are no match for a good paycheck at your side, kid. :)

10. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Listen Pfuegemeister, I have no desire to get into a verbel debate with you on this, none whatsoever because I think I will never convince you to agree or see my point of view no matter what I say. However, I will say this. It is clear to me after reading your replys to certain things I post that you have some type of anger complex, It almost like you are trying to go totally darkside with pinned up anger, but your hate and fear have not made you powerful yet................

As far as Han Solo goes, I amit Im a fanboy ,I love Han Solo, I consider the character the greatest most iconic character in the history of big screen movies, I think Harrison Ford had the role of a lifetime, and only wanted Han killed off in Jedi because he had no backstory, and he knew at the time that George Lucas did not plan any more movies, George purposefully ended Jedi the way he did so he would not have the make any more movies for a long, long time. Now that we know we are gettting Hans Orgin story in a spinoff and then his smuggling day in another spinoff, then I think Ford will reconsider and lend a helping hand to disney in any way they ask, even if he makes a apperance in a Spinoff (kinda like old Spock did in the latest Star Trek films.).

Let me address this other point of yours as well, I do not see how me being a fanboy of Han Solo offends anyone, and you take should a techinal viewpoint of everything, that I really dont see how you are going to enjoy the new movies, you are your own worst critic, the slightest little error that they make in storytelling will ruin yr experience because you will let it, I on the otherhand are making one request only, Allow Han Solo to Survive and play a big role in Episode 7, You are correct that we have not seen him in decades and its time to see him again.........................Nuff said.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Sean Sinclair likes this.
  12. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    My heroes are often people late into their lives. I would like to see older Han and Chewie in more daring adventures and walk away in one piece. Like James Bond and Indiana Jones. I do not want their demise. This is a fantasy, not documentary.

13. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think Han will personally fly Luke in the Falcon back to Anchorhead on Tatooine so he can go to Tosche Station and pick up his Power Converters. He and Chewie will then fly off into the (binary) sunset.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  14. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    He'll be in some officious position where he'll take kickbacks from other smugglers to look the other way, and ensure big New Republic contracts get awarded to small, disadvantaged, native-owned (i.e., Wookie) business pals. So, he still be a smuggler, just on a higher and more influential level.

Sean Sinclair likes this.
  15. Joe

Joe Jedi Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I'm fine with Han helping in some capacity for the entirety of the ST - he's old, not dead. Hell, Jean-Luc Picard was old and still kicking ass and taking names. I can't imagine Han taking any major threat to the galaxy without fighting it. However, the film still should be focused on the new characters. Just because the focus isn't on him doesn't mean he can't be in the film in a Wedge-type background role.

If they kill him, then it better be for significant character development on the behalf of the 'new' cast. If not, I see no reason why Harrison Ford can't work for his (massive) paycheck.

16. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Han will be a.... Popsicle!!!

17. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    An old cowboy.

I imagine he'll be more involved with the kids and ongoing adventure than Luke and Leia who will probably be knee deep in political matters on some level.

Han would never accept a desk job or government position so that would leave him pretty much free to go out and shoot people.