main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What RPG supplements are considered canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_HaNotsri, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_HaNotsri

Darth_HaNotsri Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2007
    Is there a website that gives concrete information on this? I tried looking on Wookieepedia to no avail.

Are the old West End items canon?

A list would be helpful...thank you

2. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    I believe that most sourcebooks are considered canon (they were frequently used by the Bantam-authors in the early '90s, as well as the Dark Horse Star Wars-authors of that time)... There's lots of usefull information in the sourcebooks, which is being used in the later (New) Essential Guides and the new RPG-books by Wizards...

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    All of them are canon. Some have superceded information in later sources, but that doesn't negate the canon of the rest of the book.

4. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Yeah, I thought they were all canon. That's the great thing about SW. If it's got the Star Wars brand on it, but no "Infinities" label (or Polyhedron, right?), then you should never have to ask "Is it canon?" Because the answer is always "yes".

5. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Some of the older RPG supplements are S-canon, though.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You have a source on that? Last I heard:

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Perhaps he means stuff like "The Ordeal of Boba Fett" and the original backstory of the mutiny on the Rand Ecliptic, which have been rewritten or ignored by newer sources. There are only a few things like that, but they are there. [face_thinking]

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Right, but that's why I said certain stuff was superceded (sizes, measurements, certain "certain point of view" stories, etc.).

I hadn't heard anything about canon-status changing as a whole.

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Also, game statistics, while not *ignored*, aren't canon either.

Other than that, though, it's all C-canon, from the first WEG book in '87 through the Wizards Saga Edition stuff coming out now.

In large part, it's actually thanks to WEG that we *have* a coherent EU canon to begin with. They did a lot of the fact checking and continuity doctoring before Lucasfilm had the good idea to create a continuity database in-house.

10. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    President Palpatine versus Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, for instance.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Right, statistics are often either incomplete or change radically between sources. So they're perhaps useful as guidelines--for example, if it says so-and-so can write in Rodese or somesuch or perhaps as relative comparisons between characters in the same RPG system. For instance, if Thrawn has tactics +24 and Pelly has tactics -5.

12. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Tactics -5
    Retreat +20
    Gardening +12

Kam

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Fixed.

14. SonofZeus

SonofZeus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2007
    Concerning the game-stats. Newer sources had the line in it that "other versions of the same character" could exist in other sources. They are changable, just for game-use and not canon.

Even if Abel quoted the Game-stats of Darth Lumi as a source for inforamtion (she spoke Sith there). So they might be of help sometimes.

Timothy Zahn had a good cooperation with WEG back in the 90ies. I remember his interview where he mentioned their great work for a few times. And how fantastic it was to have hteir books.

The Imperial Sourcebook for example was ground-breaking concerning ships of the Empire. Lancer-Frigates, StarGaleons, Rendili-Dreadnaughts and Torpedo-Spheres were all invented there. Later, especially through Rebellion (the Computer-Game) almost all of it became canon.

I think CompForce was invented there, too.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, the Imperial source book was very cool. For being pre-prequels the descriptions and histories hold up well against what came later. Compnor was a very cool idea that was never expanded upon in the novels and the Starship specs were incredible. The RPG stuff provided a great base of knowledge for the EU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.