main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What sequences in the OT have great music to convey the scene at hand?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by JediBeowulf, Apr 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Simple enough question... I'll begin with 2 examples:

In ESB, I think the music for when Yoda lifts Luke's X-wing out of the swamp is excellent. At this point, you realize that really, "size matters not". The music here is majestic and triumphant, and plus it's Yoda's kickass theme.

Secondly, in ROTJ, before Vader (now Anakin) throws the Emperor to his demise, the music perfectly captures the turmoil that Vader is facing [this has got to be one of the coolest sequences in all movie history] when Luke is yelling at him, "Father....Help meeeee!". You hear the Emperor's theme in the background, but there is something else lingering there too....something that shows the good that is still left in Vader.

Ok folks, now its your turn. Whaddya think?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Um...pretty much all of them? ;)

I'd say:

"Carbon Freeze/Escape From Cloud City/Hyperspace" are another perfect example of music & action.

So is "Into The Trap" (Rebel fleet arrives at Endor)

And:

Binary Sunset(Luke on Tatooine)
    The Dark Side Beckons(Luke defeats Vader, ROTJ)
    Duel Of The Fates(I think you know what this is)
    Light Of The Force(Ani's funeral)
    Darth Vader's Death(Kinda self-explanatory)
    Anakin Destroys the Battleship(This is the Force triumphing in it's savior)

3. Captain Page

Captain Page Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah, all of them I'd say.
    Especially:

...Well all of them. I can't think of just one (or 20)

4. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Come on, I know that *all* of them are great, but there has to be one or two that really stick out in your mind...and that's what i'm asking for.

5. Batmanyeo

Batmanyeo Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2001
    Interestingly enough, the first sequence that comes to me is from The Empire Strikes Back: when Yoda talks to Luke after he fails to lift the X-Wing out of the swamp.
    The track is "Yoda and the Force" on the SE.
    This is a beautifully scored sequence especially the climax of the track when Yoda proceeds to lift the massive X-Wing up and sets it down. Very emotional and driving home a very good lesson.

Another fan favorite and one of the most discussed cues is from the same movie--track title "Asteroid Field". I'm sure everybody knows this one by heart. We even had a topic where everybody was humming the tunes!
    But this scene is so full of energy and action, Williams really scored this scene so well. The intensity and urgency of the track so perfectly matches every movement of the characters and environment, not to mention the Falcon itself.

Its great isn't it?

6. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    All the scenes. That's what makes Star Wars music so good. There are parts where you can tell exactly what happens just by listening to the music.

7. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    I'll have to agree with all that's already been said: every sequence. :D Let me see if I can think of just a few in particular....definitely the carbon freeze sequence -- Han and Leia's theme being wrenched away by the Empire's dark themes....definitely the Asteroid field, Yoda and the Force....

Ah, I know a good one: the music when Leia defrosts Han. Now that is some good stuff: very mysterious and eerie, but eventually sweeping into Han and Leia's theme as Leia is unmasked, then plummeting down to Jabba's theme as they are discovered. Great stuff!

8. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Luke looking at the twin sunset in ANH. Without a doubt.

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The asteroid field. Especially that end sequence with the part where the Falcon goes down the hole...

The battle of Hoth.

The Arrival at Coruscant.

The Death Star Trench Run.

Into the Trap.

Tracks 9, 10, and 11 of ESB.

Desert Duel.

The Dark Side Beckons.

10. Obey_Wonk_and_No_Bee

Obey_Wonk_and_No_Bee Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    Definitely Obi-Wan's intro in ANH - great stuff!

11. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I'd have to agree with everything that's been mentioned. Another great one is "Burning Homestead," which really captures Luke's feeling of urgency as he runs to his speeder and races home and then his anguish at the sight of his aunt and uncle's charred corpses.

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    You're right Jeff, I forgot about that one!

Another good one is the part just after C-3PO lands on Tatooine... "What a desolate place this is..."

The pulsing horns and dragged-out strings make it *sound* desolate, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.