main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Series/ Trilogy/Novel Is best to Read First?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SSWildcat06, Jun 1, 2003.

?

What Series/ Trilogy/Novel Is best to Read First?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. New Jedi Order

4.5%
  2. X-Wing Series

6.8%
  3. Thrawn Trilogy

68.2%
  4. Hand Of Thrawn Duology

4.5%
  5. Jedi Acadamy Trilogy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

15.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSWildcat06

SSWildcat06 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2003
  2. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Truce at Bakura, though I don't recommend reading all the novels in order from TAB on, I think It's better to read that before the thrawn trilogy.

3. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    Courtship of Princess Leia. There are no "essential" novels beforehand, and there are no original characters, ships, or places which need a backstory to be understood.

Tatooine Ghost is also a good place to start. It has a good lead in to the essential Thrawn Trilogy, and it sums up much of what happened in Courtship. If you plan on going farther into the EU, like into the NJO, then Courtship is a more important novel.

4. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    Thrawn Trilogy, because they were the first Expanded Universe books to be written. Almost every other book that takes place after ROTJ has some little nuance or reference to that trilogy and they are all based around it's time period.

5. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Being a fan of reading the novels in order, to get the best EU exerience, I feel starting at Truce at Bakura is the way to go for any fan of Star Wars.

6. Talz

Talz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    Thrawn Trilogy

These are the novels that refreshed my sense of wonderment in Star Wars, resuscitating the "fan" in me after a period of dormancy.

7. SSWildcat06

SSWildcat06 Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2003
    I also Think the Thrawn Trilogy, It makes up for the third trilogy lucas didnt write.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Thrawn Trilogy or X-Wing.

9. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    this is a no-brainer. THRAWN TRILOGY!

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Thrawn Trilogy.

-Evan

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    X-Wing. Definitely X-Wing.

12. Master_DuSai

Master_DuSai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    I voted for the Thrawn trilogy, just because it felt most like the movies to me.

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Read them in order, or start with the Thrawn trilogy

14. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Either Thrawn Trilogy or Shadows of the Empire for the uninitiated.

After that, start with Truce at Bakura and work your way foreward. Just don't lose hope in the mess of mediocrity between the end of Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn, in spite of a few jewels (Isard's Revenge, Starfighters of Adumar, etc. :))

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Thrawn Trilogy, because they were the first Expanded Universe books to be written.

You are more than a decade off of the first Expanded Universe books written. Splinter of the Mind's Eye was first released in 1978. In 1979 you saw the first two book in the Han Solo Adventures, the original Han Solo trilogy, released. 1980 saw the release of the last book in the Han Solo Adventures. And 1983 saw all three books in the Lando Calrissian Adventures released, less than a decade before Heir to the Empire would make it's appearance yet still years before it. Yet that's seven books in the EU out before Zahn ever wrote one. And that's not counting the various childrens books.

16. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    They were the first post-hype Star Wars novel series, however. After Star Wars became a dead/dormant entity around 85 or so (Marvel wasn't far behind, they cancelled their series in 87, I believe), there was little or no material coming down the pipe.

The quality of Tim Zahn's novels (and to a lesser extent, Dark Empire) brought SW back to the world of popular culture. They're not the first EU ever, but merely the first of a new generation, and largely responsible for its resurrection.

Come on, if a sub-par book like Crystal Star had been released first in 1991 instead of Heir, the Bantam line would have withered on the vine.

17. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    I'd say read them in order from the first, but the Thrawn Trilogy is always a nice way to be broken into the EU. :p

18. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Thrawn Trilogy, hands down.

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    After Star Wars became a dead/dormant entity around 85 or so (Marvel wasn't far behind, they cancelled their series in 87, I believe), there was little or no material coming down the pipe.

Actually, dead/dormant does not fit. From '84 to June of '91 when HttE is first released, Star Wars would see the following (dates from the bibliographies in the EGtC and the NEGtC):

• In October 1987 West End Games released the first edition of their Star Wars: Roleplaying Game. In November of that same year they released the Star Wars Sourcebook.

• December '87 through the fall of '88 would see Blackthorne Publishing release their Star Wars 3D issues 1-3 comics.

• September 7, 1985 through November 30th of that same year saw the Ewoks and Droids Adventure Hour cartoons.

• November 1, 1986 through September 5, 1987 saw the All-New Ewoks cartoon series.

• The Great Heep aired June 7, 1986

• The Ewok Adventure: Caravan of Courage, the first of two Ewok movies made for tv, airs November 25, 1984

• Ewoks: Battle for Endor airs November 24, 1985, barely less than a year after the first one airs.

• 1984 would see at least six children's books released: Three Cheers for Kneesaa! An Ewok Adventure, The Ewoks' Hang Gliding Adventure, How the Ewoks Saved the Tree: An Old Ewok Legend, The Adventures of Teebo: A Tale of Magic and Suspense, The Baby Ewoks' Picnic Surprise, and Wicket Finds a Way: An Ewok Adventure.

• At least three children's books are released in 1985: The Ewoks and the Lost Children, Wicket and the Dandelion Warriors: An Ewok Adventure, and The Lost Prince: A Droid Adventure.

• There would be at least seven children's books to be released in 1987: Escape from the Monster Ship: A Droid Adventure, The Ring, the Witch, and the Crystal: An Ewok Adventure, The Shadow Stone, An Ewok Adventure, The White Witch: a Droid Adventure, Wicket Goes Fishing: An Ewok Adventure, The Red Ghost: An Ewok Adventure, and The Pirates of Tarnoonga: A Droid Adventure.

• December 1984 would see the first edition of A Guide to the Star Wars Universe.

• 1988 sees WEG release at least two books Strike Force: Shantipole and Tatooine Manhunt.

• In 1989 WEG releases Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
    • , Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races (written by Troy Denning by the way), the Starfighter Battle Book, the Imperial Sourcebook, and Crisis on Cloud City.

• 1990 sees WEG release the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, [iGalaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi
    • , and Jedi's Honor (also by Troy Denning).

And that's just a few of the items, which were Star Wars that came out between '84 and June '91. Just some of what was used for source material for the EGtC and the NEGtC. Now you may argue that none of that counts because it was not SW novels. But the point was to show that Star Wars was not dead/dormant prior the release of Zahn's HttE. I didn't add Marvels Droids series, their Ewoks series, or their Annuals series which would all have issues that would fall within this time frame. Nor did I add their Return of the Jedi series, written by Archie Goodwin, which ended in January of '84. I also didn't add WEG material from 1991, or the Star Wars #1-3 newspaper strip collection from the same year, as I didn't have the months needed. As I already stated, this is just a portion of everything released in the timeframe I've given.

20. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    If you're sticking to novels post RotJ then I'd suggest just going in order starting with the Truce At Bakura and work your way through. Continuity is much less confusing that way.

But from the lot that you've mentioned in the poll I'd go with The Thrawn Trilogy.

:)

21. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    The Thrawn Trilogy, of course.

22. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The X-Wing series is good.

23. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    "Actually, dead/dormant does not fit."

With the exception of the Ewok TV movies, none of those kept SW in the national zeitgeist. As good as the WEG materials were, they never occupied more than a small niche. The release of a high-profile novel series by established sci-fi authors changed all of that. I'd hazard a guess that in 1997, a full two years before Episode I, there were a lot more active fans then in 1987.

24. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    The Thrawn Trilogy is very good as an introductory series. If you like everything in order though, Truce at Bakura would be best. :)

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Thrawn Trilogy. It's amazing and only requires knowledge of the films. Actually, one of my friends read it without even that much. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.