main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What shorthand name should be given to Episodes 1 through 6?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, May 8, 2016.

?

What shorthand name should be given to Episodes 1 through 6?

1. The Original Saga

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. The Original Six

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. The Classic Saga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lucas's Saga

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Vader's Saga or The Saga of Vader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Anakin's Saga or The Saga of Anakin

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. The Imperial Saga

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. The Saga of the Prophecy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Saga of the Chosen One

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    "The first six films directed by Lucas" or "the films that tell Anakin's story" is kind of an awkward way to refer to Episodes I through VI, so it might be helpful if we could come to a consensus for a shorthand name to call these 6 films, just as Ep. 1 - 3 are known as the Prequel Trilogy and 4 - 6 are known are the Classic or Original Trilogy.

I've listed a number of choices in this poll. Please vote and leave your comments about why you made your choice. Your reasons might be helpful to others who find it hard to choose.

If you can come up with another good name that represents Episodes 1 through 6 in its entirety, please include it, and it can be added to the options.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Neither the Saga of the Prophecy nor the Saga of the Chosen One since neither of those terms were mentioned in the OT.

I prefer the Lucas Saga myself but I could see the Classic Saga or the Original Saga. Kind of on the fence about the Saga of Vader or Anakin--I would not know which one to choose, and it also kind of leaves out Luke's journey.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd personally say no to the first four, extreme as that may sound. Despite the whole "they didn't use his treatments" stuff, it was later made clear they did take a good amount of inspiration from them, and I highly doubt they didn't use anything. GL is known to exaggerate a lot or outright lie about things

Likely unpopular, but I personally like Chosen One Saga

It starts with his discovery by the Jedi and his childhood, and then it ends with his death and fulfillment of the prophecy

I wouldn't use Anakin Saga or Vader Saga either, because he still plays a pretty big posthumous role in the ST via his mark on the galaxy and his descendants' prominence

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Original Saga or Classic Saga.
    Or George Lucas Saga.

oierem, Dandelo and Darth Nerdling like this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Ah! Good thread.

I'm quite fond of the elegant simplicity of either "The George Lucas Saga" (GLS) or "George's Original Saga" (GOS).

Probably more so the latter: "The gos saga. Seen it? Yeah, it's pretty good."

Or perhaps: "Lucas' Original Star (Wars) Saga". Because that spells LOSS. Which seems highly appropriate for, hopefully, obvious reasons.

Or maybe even: "George's Original Space Homiletic/Serial Homage". Because that spells GOSH and is also a bit esoteric.

GOSH, you guys, what a LOSS.

And now we have the ST (Sequel Seditious Trilogy). Okay, I'm being mean.

Or maybe the GSS: George's Six Shooter.

Too phallic? This is Star Wars! And I like the allusion to revolving/revolutions -- cycles.

Add the word "Saga", as in the preceding suggestions, and it can be reformulated as:

G3S.

The G3S. Yeah, I kinda like that one.

Sounds like Nvidia's next graphics accelerator card.

Or maybe: GNOSTIC.

Don't know what those letters might stand for, other than "G" for "George", but if someone could make that into an acceptable acronym, I'd probably do my level best to spread it around.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Lucas only directed four of them.

Personally, I don't feel the need to have a specific term for the first six movies, but if I were to use one, it would probably be the "original saga" or something like that.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the Original Saga. They're first chronologically. They'll probably remain the first lineally (i.e. there won't be prequels to the prequels, only sequels to the OT, although there will probably spinoffs from the PT).

Also, those 1st 6 films are very original in their own ways.

ANH was incredibly original for its time with its main characters apparently droids for its first 20 minutes and its combination of westerns, samurai flicks, fantasies, serials, war films, sci-fi, and eastern philosophy. TESB had an original tone, twist, ending, and structure with its big battle at its beginning. In ROTJ, Luke and Vader resolve their conflict with Palpatine in a original way, through self-sacrifice and an even an act of pacifism.

The PT has gotten some criticism, but even its critics admit that the films are original. TPM sees its main character killed and its apparently happy ending actually serves Palpatine. After a double twist about the origins of the Clone Army, ATOC reveals that Palpatine created them and that he controls both sides of the war. Finally, ROTS is probably the 1st blockbuster tragedy ever made. So, this is my logic for leaning towards the Original Saga.

Cael-Fenton and Ezon Pin like this.
  8. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    THE TRAGEDY OF DARTH VADER

9. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    My personal choice is the same as Pyro's above, "The Tragedy of Darth Vader". I always felt that Lucas intended the PT and OT together to form "The Tragedy of Darth Vader" and the OT and ST together (if he got around to making the ST) to form "The Triumph of Luke Skywalker" (perhaps someone on the boards can think of a better description than "triumph"?). That being said, I do understand how since the ST seems to want to tell a slightly different story in which the tragedy of Vader still plays some part, this may not be the clearest name either. So far I just write "Episodes I through VI" all the time.

My opinion on the other names:
    • "The Original Saga" and "The Classic Saga" both seem to run the risk of being confused with the OT. "The Lucas Saga" and "Lucas's Saga" both seem to focus very much on the distinction with Disney's ST and I'm not sure if it's healthy to keep rubbing the distinction in. Personally, I always thought that "Prequel Trilogy", "Original Trilogy" and "Sequel Trilogy" are not the best names - they seem to make people think that the job of the PT was to be foremost a backstory for the OT, instead of the first three episodes of a six-part saga, and I think that something similar has happened in the case of the ST.
    • I guess "Vader's Saga"/"The Saga of Vader" or "Anakin's Saga"/"The Saga of Anakin" would be closest to "The Tragedy of Darth Vader" that I mentioned above, but has the same problems as it.
    • The PT has nothing about Imperials except for Palpatine's mention of a Galactic Empire, so "The Imperial Saga" might bring to mind only the OT.
    • "The Saga of the Prophecy" or "The Saga of the Chosen One" would probably make the Star Wars fans who have never made their peace with the idea of a prophecy/Chosen One kind of mad. :p There's also the problem that some fans seem to want to reinterpret the prophecy/Chosen One in light of the ST, although I doubt the creators of the ST intended this consequence.

10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    "Real Star Wars"...no, no...I kid, I kid:p

I voted "Original Saga," though I can see how that might not quite suit those who are more enthusiastic about the current direction of SW under Disney and might be likely to feel that such a title suggests that Eps 7-9 aren't somehow equally part of the SW saga. Though I don't think we know the full story now (and maybe we never will...), I'm not quite as optimistic as some about the level of GL-inspiration that actually ended up making it into TFA.

I guess I actually think that "the George Lucas Saga" or "the Lucas Saga" might be the "best" choice in terms of what might be the most acceptable to the greatest number of fans, but I still prefer the sound of "Original Saga".

In practice around the boards currently, I see a lot of people simply referring to "the first six films" or "GL's SW."

11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    THE TRAGEDY OF JAR JAR.

I think this fits much more with the trilogy[face_batting]

12. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    The Fox Fanfare Saga

13. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    "The Original Six" is what I've been using. It's shorter than writing out "episodes one through six" while also being less ambiguous than saying "Lucas' movies/saga" as then it may be unclear whether ESB and RotJ are included or not since they had a different director, or if the ST is included since technically it is part of the same "saga".

Sarchet likes this.
  14. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Torib I'm stealing that. Though the abbreviation may confuse some Trekkies....

Torib likes this.
  15. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I like 'Imperial Saga', as a distinction that's purely narrative, and frames the events of I through VI as the rise and reign of the Empire.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  16. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    George's Nearly Original Series Terrifically Inspired by Campbell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Star Wars Saga.

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    1-6.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  20. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Out of the above choices: The Lucas or Original Saga. As a side choice: I really like The Tragedy of Darth Vader, as Pyrogenic suggested. Sounds like a Shakespearean play.

Pyrogenic likes this.
  21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The "L-1338" Saga[face_dancing]

22. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I've already caught myself saying "the Lucas Saga", so I voted for that. However much they've taken from his stories or notes, he's no longer in control, and I think that's a natural dividing line.

I'm also fine with Original Saga.

DarthCricketer and Pensivia like this.
  23. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    "The films are designed to be one movie. It started out as the tragedy of Darth Vader, it was meant to be one movie, you never knew what came ahead, you never knew what came behind, but in order to write it, I had to write a backstory first...and the subtitle of the movie really was The Tragedy of Darth Vader. It started out with this monster coming in, throwing everybody around, threatening people, choking guys, and halfway through the movie you realize the monster is actually a man. He's the father of the hero. And then at the end of the movie you realize that this son inspires the monster, or the father, to be the hero of the movie, and that he'd been living this terrible life. You know, trapped in this suit, he sold his soul to the devil - and all that stuff was supposed to be stronger than it was when I ended up breaking it into three parts. And the icon of Darth Vader became so strong that he was the icon of evil, it was hard to sort of think of him as a tragic character...now with the prequel trilogy in place, I hope people think of it as The Tragedy of Darth Vader, which the story was originally meant to be." - George Lucas

Ezon Pin and QueenSabe7 like this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The Palpatine Shenanigans

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I now refer to them as the Original six or O6 but the Original Saga would do as well.