main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What should Ahsoka's fate be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Aug 6, 2010.

?

What should Ahsoka's fate be?

1. Killed in a lightsaber duel (Grievous, Ventress, etc)

11.2%
  2. Killed by someone else (Bane, Vizsla, Boba, etc)

14.0%
  3. Noble self-sacrifice (ie. Weapons Factory)

17.5%
  4. Expelled from the Jedi Order

12.6%
  5. Away on a solo mission

3.7%
  6. Assigned to a new master

4.6%
  7. Knighted and away on a mission

4.9%
  8. Inserted in Order 66 sequence being killed

11.7%
  9. Fallen to the Dark Side

6.0%
  10. MIA/POW

13.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Nope. Having some requisite number of episodes (arbitrarily determined by you) each season with Ahsoka and Barriss together just to convince you is ridiculous.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And my being told that I'm supposed to assume that this "close friendship" continued off screen although Ahsoka never so much as mentions Barriss in three years, is not ridiculous, how exactly?

Sorry if my standards for a "best friend" actually include, you know, interactions that indicate friendship.

It was Filoni's job to convince the viewer that they were best friends in order to sell the "betrayal" storyline, and with me, he failed. Telling me what I was "supposed to" see or believe regarding their "BFF ship" doesn't make it happen.

3. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I whole-heartedly agree with this. I'll accept that for the story's sake that they are best friends, they did not do a good job portraying their friendship over the course of the series though.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Quite a point of view.

LIES! FLIPPANT DISREGARD!

Or the Jedi way of detachment, but whatever.

Though I know EU doesn't count, Luminara and Barriss perhaps had one of the closest Master-Padawan relationships in the Jedi Order.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a hard time accepting anything "for the story's sake" when there is no other indication of it whatsoever.

Sadly, Filoni could have planned early on for them to be BFFs and shown a continuation of the friendship from Weapons Factory throughout seasons 3 and 4. He chose not to do this, and instead tells us that we're supposed to accept that they're close enough friends that Ahsoka would feel "betrayed." All I saw was a former classmate of Ahsoka's going bad.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think Barriss counts as more than a former classmate since they did go through some serious and dramatic ordeals together, but yeah, they had plenty of time to remind the audience that they were best friends. For whatever reason, they ignored Barriss for a long time.

I kind of wish it had been her supervising the younglings in the Young Jedi arc, or involved in the Onderon arc. Maybe we could've seen some character development that would've paid off.

rumblewagon and Darth_Quintonis like this.
  7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Or maybe Barriss and Ahsoka could have been supervising the Younglings together. Barriss was just another victim of how long it took TCW to comeback to anyways because of how broad TCW's scope can be. Think of how many different things and places we saw in seasons 3 and 4.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If they had been seen supervising the younglings together, on some other mission together (think of how often TCW managed to throw Anakin and Padme together, often in ways that didn't make sense--hello, Mon Cal), or if Ahsoka had even mentioned Barriss in the many times she appeared in Seasons 3 and 4, it would have made more sense.

As it was, and I've mentioned this before, it seems that the writers decided: We need Ahsoka to be betrayed by a close friend. It can't be Anakin or Padme for obvious reasons. It's too late to introduce a new character. The only one left is Barriss.

Bad writing FTL.

9. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Still doesn't make me believe they're friends. Remember, show, don't tell.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I say that stuff in hindsight because sure, TCW could have used more screentime to develop Barriss and Ahsoka friendship. However I see 'show' in how Barriss and Ahsoka were good friends. They were in two damn near, near death experiences first in the tank and then with the brain invader worms. When two soldiers fights a battle or enter a situation in which they nearly die its common for them to become close friends in a short amount of time and maintain that friendship through this bond. I've heard the stories from soldiers who fought.. Honestly this did happen with Ahsoka and Padme as well in the Blue Shadow Virus two parter where both nearly succumbed to the virus.

There is ground work there for Barriss's betrayal on screen from things like the way she was left to die to the tank by her own Master while Ahsoka's wouldn't give on her. Her greater blood lust bloodlust in "Brain Invaders" is suspect. She might have fallen all the way back then.. Barriss actually takes the leadership role over Ahsoka throughout both "Weapons Factory" and "Brain Invaders".. Its her who jumps to hold the clone troopers at saber tip after the first round of attacks. While Ahsoka mainly disarms. Barriss killed multiple clones. She deflects one blast into a clone's face. Then as I mentioned before her last line of dialogue in the episode was wanting to be killed. In reverse, I think she would have killed Ahsoka.

As I mentioned earlier Barriss's Jedi Master coldness might have rubbed off on the wrong way on a young lady who seems pretty shy and impressionable. Barriss being a healer in the EU would have been first on the scene and seen the war at a gnarliest. I actually take back what I said about confidence. I think there was a recipe there for easy corruption corruption.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I agree with this, though to be fair Filoni is not the only one, Anakin and Obi-wan are meant to be best friends but Lucas never really bothered to show it in the PT which makes Obi-wan and even Vader talking about it on the OT so jarring

Seerow likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's true, there was not nearly enough Anakin/Obi-Wan friendship in the PT. The writers of TCW were able to compensate for that I thought.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think the PT relies alot on the viewer having the omnipresence to know that Anakin was Obi-wan's apprentices and they were like brothers. The movies assume we know that Anakin and Obi-wan go though alot while training and in the war and don't need to be shown given the limited amount of time the movies have to give. The same as TCW tries to rely on the viewers to know that the characters are going through a major war even when off screen and that Barriss and Ahsoka have continued with the close friendship they gained from nearly dying together in "Weapons Factory" and "Brain Invaders" off screen, likely fighting in other battles together until they were shown together again in the Ahsoka Fugitive arcs. Really that much doesn't need to be assumed to understand why they would be BFFs by the time we got there. You just have to know they nearly died together twice, IMO.

rumblewagon and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  14. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    What's this?! A voice of reason?

darth fluffy likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's "unreasonable" to expect a friendship that is supposed to be so damn important, to be shown onscreen for more than ten minutes and more recently than three years ago? [face_laugh]. OK.

16. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think that their friendship was shining through better than Obi-wan and Anakin's had. Obi-wan and Anakin often argued and could not relate to each other, where Ahsoka and Barris are both similar in personality and age, so it makes sense they would be friends. I thought it was great that TCW better elaborated on Anakin and Obi-wan.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Obi-Wan and Anakin aren't the issue here and "it was better than Obi-Wan and Anakin's PT friendship!" isn't exactly a good selling point--even if I agreed with that, it's not saying much.

18. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    To me, Barris seemed like an innocuous background character that I was not expected to pay any attention to. In fact I can't help but wonder if some of the reason for her turn to the dark side because she felt inadequate as a padawan and always 'sidelined'?

Seerow likes this.
  19. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Let me clarify my position on this Barriss/Ahsoka BFF nonsense. I said that they didn't do a good job portraying them as best friends. They could have at least had two or three more episodes devoted to Barriss and Ahsoka's friendship. I WILL accept, that they CLAIM that they were best friends, that's all I meant. I do agree with what you guys are saying, that it wasn't convincing that they were "BFF" or what have you. Yet I am arguing, that like it or not, it's now canon that they were best friends. I see no point in arguing that they were not, only in arguing how it could have been portrayed on screen better. That's all I meant.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I accept that Filoni's canon (T-canon or whatever they're calling it) says that they were best friends.

But I still say that I'm racking my brain trying to remember all the 15 minute conversations I had in 2010, and who they were with, so I can remember who my "best friends" are.

As far as arguing how it could have been portrayed on screen better...hell, how much bandwidth does this place have? Just about any way would have been better.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Although Ahsoka and Barriss had like 20 minutes combined screentime together in 'Weapons Factory' and 'Brain Invader'. IU they would have been together much longer than that. The trek through the caverns under the factory didn't take 20 minutes. Being trapped in the tank probably wasn't just 20 minutes long and even if it was, those 20 minutes about to run out of air to breath would have felt like days. Then after that they were evacuated to recover and could have spent a while together then. The flight in "Brain Invaders" likely wasn't a 20 minute flight. I agree more episodes with Barriss and Ahsoka together however there is atleast some groundwork, IMO, you just have to know they nearly died together twice.

This has crossed my mind. Along with Barriss being to quiet and perhaps lacking a close bond with a mentor given hos Luminara so quickly writes her off in "Weapons Factory". Imagine finding that out?

22. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I think it would be pretty awesome if there was a sub-plot in one of the RoTS-ANH era spinoffs, in which Ashley E. appeared looking like herself (i.e. no alien makeup, looking human), as a hard-ass mercenary or something, operating under an alias... But who over the course of her screentime dropped enough hints that SW-savvy viewers who had watched TCW would realize this must be Ahsoka herself, under the influence of some kinda nanites such as Obi-Wan used when impersonating Rako Hardeen (for whatever reason, maybe cover for some other job she was working at the time). Nothing too overt or shoved in your face, but enough that people who know their SW could put a couple pieces together and realize it could logically be no-one else.

What an easter egg that would be.

23. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Where is it canon that they are best friends? I thought Anakin only said "go be with your friend, Ahsoka".

Seerow likes this.
  24. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    They are best friends, here they are just hanging out:
    [​IMG]

25. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Ahsoka and Barriss are best friends the way Utena and Anthy are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.