main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA what should be my next costume prodject?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Padmesmaleclone, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padmesmaleclone

Padmesmaleclone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2004
    I want to start a new costume but I don't have much money to work with. Any ideas for a costume on a tight budget.

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Battle droid. ;)

Sure it'll be a tight fit, but it's less materials. :p

3. TarikJanis

TarikJanis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2003
    How much are you wanting to spend??

4. Padmesmaleclone

May 15, 2004
    thats the problem. i don't have much to spend at all.

5. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    So... are you ever going to email me so I can send you that picture of you in costume from Halloween?

6. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    If there is one thing I've learned, all costumes are expensive. Even my Jedi Robes, once you add in the boots and parksaber, cost well over $700. *sigh*

7. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    I'm doing a conceptual Jedi costume right now, so far I've bought the fabric, the materials to make my lightsaber and I know how much my boots are gonna cost. So far its been $209 dollars, plus I still have to buy the leather for my belt and pouches. I think if you go to www.padawansguide.com they have a thing on there for a low budget Dark Jedi costume. Take a look and see! :)

8. TarikJanis

Jun 11, 2003
    Linda, I wanted a Parksaber SO BAD for my costume. I've wanted the M2 since before comic-con last year....but I couldn't afford it...so I made mine out of a sink pipe.....Looks pretty good....just doesn't light up or have a blade... :(

9. Tal-Kender

Tal-Kender Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2002
    Depends on what costumes you have, how much time you want to spend on it, and what you want to make.

I made my Barriss Offee costume in one weekend, and spent about $15 on materials. My generic Jedi cost about $25 (including the $3 for boots)

The secret is knowing where to shop. I get almost all my material at the swap meet, where I just got velvet, ultrasuede and some great crinkle cottons for 50 cents a yard. Since prom season is over, they have all the brocades, taffetas and velvets (thinking of royal and senatorial gowns here) for really cheap.

Too bad they don't sell armor :)

10. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Is that at Kobey's Swap Meet, Jess?

Those fabrics would also be great for pirate garb. :D

(I want Captain Hook's tailor - from the new movie, not the Disney).

11. Tal-Kender

Tal-Kender Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2002
    It's the Sweet Water Swap Meet at the old drive in right off the 54 west. They had oodles of colors of velvet and taffeta, some great organza and brocades too. I took a friend there just for giggles, and she ended up buying 15 yards of silk for $5, and the merchant threw in some nice green ultrasuede for free. I also picked up some blue velvet for Senatorial Guard robes, now if I can just find a hat. :)

12. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Oh, okay. A bit of a drive but it might be worth it. ;)

Thanks.

13. Padmesmaleclone

May 15, 2004
    If no one has a problem with it i kind of would like to do another padme costume. I mean why not just for fun. but i din't know which one to do that won't cost an arm and a leg.

14. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Personally Josh, since this is a family-oriented club I don't think cross-dressing would be readily embraced. But that is the opinion of a parent who has to explain to children why a man would dress as Padme.

15. vkyoshi

vkyoshi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    besides you've already done that.
    mabey it's time to try something diffrent.

16. Padmesmaleclone

May 15, 2004
    It was just a suggestion. I was thinking for halloween, but after the disscusion today I won't. I do want to find a new costume though. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I am not that way at all. If I can find black material I kind iof want to do a black Jedi or Camo pattern Jedi.

17. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    For what it's worth, we've just said that it's a costume and so the person is pretending and doing it for fun so it doesn't matter if it's cross dressing.
    Gavin has a good sense of pretend and such though so maybe we're lucky. That and we're not big on the "gender roles" around here.

Like I said..for what it's worth...

18. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    But Kat, your kids are still really small and don't understand. It's explaining it to a 10-year old that's hard to do.

Some of our younger members are under 18 and are only with us through the goodwill of their parents. I know some parents who would immediately pull their kids over this. Not everyone is as open-minded as we are.

19. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Oh, I know that we tend to be in the minority. It read like Josh felt a little bad for bringing it up and I wanted to let him know that not everyone minded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.