main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What should be the end result of the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I was throwing that out there based on the original concept of Luke as a 200 year old hero of old (not too dissimilar to King Arthur as the once and future king) and Yoda's quote to Luke. Ending the movies with the droids telling the story to children in the future (something GL hinted at in an old interview, maybe the tie into a long time ago) and telling them that the Skywalker is out there, waiting to help in a time of need, would be a nice send off of the Saga.

Now, if this happened, I wouldn't expect them to actually use Luke again in any future movie, just end the saga like this.

TKT and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  2. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Prepare to boycott!!

One of the questions about Ep VII being asked....were there any Jedi in hiding during the OT? If yes, they'd be 55-70 at a minimum at the begining of EpVII (surviving younglings during the Clone Wars could still be alive 50+ years later).

If the Jedi Order has been recreated by the time EPVII, then the majority would be 25years old or under (leaving ol' Luke and whoever survived to mentor them). Also, the Jedi have been known to be arrogant in their abilities, and considering how difficult young adults can be, unleashing them on the Galaxy could actually be more counter productive than productive.

I doubt we'll see a full fledged order until its members are matured enough to shoulder its responsibilty and be an asset to the Republic

Cheers, KH.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Q: What should be the end result of the sequel trilogy?

A: The Credits [face_party]

plaidphoenix and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Well Lucas did have treatments of episodes 10,11 and 12 so expect those movies in the future.

5. K Ran

K Ran Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2014
    Well the PTs made the Order seem pretty silly and partially responsible for what happened over the next few decades.

I doubt civilians of the galaxy will support force users since they will not even know what happened over Endor. It is probably just assumed that the Emperor and Vader were blowed up, unless Luke had a press conference.

I am guessing Luke will be serving as a mentor to some force users, but it will probably still be a secret by the point of 7. Most of the galaxy might not even know who Luke is or that the force exists/ever existed.

6. K Ran

K Ran Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2014
    So maybe the arc in the new trilogy will focus on Luke rebuilding the order due to a Sith presence and against the wishes of the new republic.

The new republic may still be cleaning up remnants of the empire. I could see Ford being a military leader for the new republic and needing to convince Luke to come out of hiding to help. Wouldn't that be great to see Han convincing Luke this time around?

7. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    The end result? It should be the end to all Star Wars movies, so when I am on my Death Bed, I can die knowing I saw all the Star Wars movies!

K Ran likes this.
  8. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    There has to be a way of watching starwars in heaven or it wouldn't be heaven:p

9. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Atheist here.... [face_dunno]

10. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Iguese
    I guess your out of luck then, you can only hope to live as long as yoda to see all the starwars movies.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. K Ran

K Ran Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2014
    Star Wars will surpass Yoda's lifespan and become it's own genre.

12. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I don't think I would like to see a fully restored and powerful New Republic by the end of the ST. By this point the galaxy should be fairly skeptical of a massive centralized power, if only because the old republic and the empire had been such miserable failures.

Politically, the ST should leave the galaxy fractured, though not necessarily in a full out civil war. This is both reasonable within the time frame that the ST will likely take place in and leaves room for conflict in the future.

K Ran and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. K Ran

K Ran Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2014
    Yes, I think the New Republic should be struggling internally as well as dealing with remnants of the empire, and any new factions that have popped up.

As much as I don't want to see the empire, it doesn't make sense that it doesn't still exist in some form due to its scope in comparison to the rebellion at the end of 6.

14. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    Unlearn what the EU taught you about how quickly a Jedi can be trained and how many can be trained by a single master. The son of the Chosen One might have gotten a crash course in a couple of weeks, but all other canon evidence suggests that the training takes years or even a decade or more of one-on-one instruction.

Let's be ambitious; let's presume that Luke starts immediately and is such an awesome teacher that he can train someone to knighthood in just five years, that none of these Jedi go dark or are killed and that they're ready to become a Master (i.e. take an apprentice for themselves) within just five years of becoming a Jedi. Here's how that would breakdown;

- after 5 years you'd have 2 Jedi (Luke and his first apprentice)
    - after 10 years you'd have 3 Jedi (Luke, 1 knight and Luke's second apprentice)
    - after 15 years you'd have 5 Jedi (Luke, 1 master, 1 knight and 2 apprentices)
    - after 20 years you'd have 8 Jedi (Luke, 2 masters, 2 knights and 3 apprentices)
    - after 25 years you'd have 13 Jedi (Luke, 4 masters, 3 knights and 5 apprentices)
    - after 30 years you'd have 21 Jedi (Luke, 7 masters, 5 knights and 8 apprentices)

That's BEST CASE. If Luke takes ten years learning more about what it means to be a Jedi before he takes his first student (which would put him at a mere 33 years old when he begins training a student) then you're down to just 8 Jedi in the galaxy.

If his first apprentice falls or dies before he can train an apprentice of his own you're down to 13 or fewer Jedi (depending how long Luke waited to start training his first apprentice... there would be just 5 if he also waited a decade to start training).

If I'm overly optimistic and it actually takes a decade to train a normal Jedi knight (and another five years after that before the knight is ready to be a master) you'd be lucky to have 7 Jedi and any number less than that wouldn't be unreasonable. Indeed, Episode VII could easily begin with just Luke and a single apprentice as the only Jedi in the galaxy. All it would take is for Luke to not think he's ready to start training until he's in his 30's (not unreasonable given Obi-Wan's counsel about Anakin's fall) only to have that first apprentice fall and/or die five years into their training. Luke then withdraws for a few years to contemplate where things went wrong and, having learned from his mistake, takes a new apprentice who would be ready to become a Jedi Knight right around the time Episode VII opens).

Building a new Jedi Order is realistically the work of generations, even under the best of conditions (under absolutely ideal circumstances with no failures or deaths for the entire period there might be 1500 Jedi present to celebrate Luke's 100th birthday; still just a tiny fraction of the ten thousand of the PT)... and I doubt the movies are going to give us 'best conditions' simply because its more interesting not to.

My guess is that we'll see the foundations for a New Jedi Order laid as part of Episode IX, but for it to truly bear fruit we'd need a later trilogy that jumps ahead by a couple of centuries (though a thousand years feels like a nice symmetrical number to match the Sith's preparation to destroy the Order) to truly see the New Jedi Order in all its glory.

15. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    How many Jedi can Luke and his subsequent students even train in the 30 year time frame ? Considering we don't know if they they even have the means to seak out force sensitives. Not many I would imagine.

I think there will be a handful of Jedi, 10-12 at the most. I don't envisage there will be a centralised Jedi order or even one at all. They would be like wandering Samurai out in the outer rim away from the Republic trying to do good on lawless planets fighting crime syndicates etc while seeking out force sensitives.

Despite Luke's heroics in ROTJ the New Republic is distrustful and fearful especially after the events that led to the Republics and the Jedi's own demise

The end could possibly be the Jedi once again being restored and being recognised by the New Republic and the Galaxy as a whole as the guardians of peace with a new Jedi order fully restored.

16. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    IRIS OUT

TKT and Victorian Time Traveler like this.
  17. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I hope that this trilogy is to the OT what "LOTR" was to "The Hobbit"... a whole new direction that only builds on existing elements left over after 30 years. There are no big questions to resolve. We need a great story, not contrived nostalgic drama.

18. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I could easily see the ST ending with the foundations of a New Jedi Order finally being solidified. It pains me to say this, but it doesn't seem illogical to have Episode VII start out with there being just 3 or 4 Jedi running around. Consider that it's possible Luke would have taken 10 years directly after the events of ROTJ just to learn more about the Force by himself and to also teach Leia whenever possible. After that period, he could've then decided to start training just one apprentice (perhaps a Solo kid). Say that takes about another 10-15 years. Then, who's to say that that apprentice doesn't turn to the dark side...that could prompt the conflict in Episode VII and could prompt Luke to have reservations on training a new apprentice (but eventually takes on Boyega as an apprentice in the end :D).

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Nope. [face_not_talking]

A: Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy Box Set with over 10 hrs of bonus features... +100 hrs on the limited time Collectors Edition

Blazer-Smith and plaidphoenix like this.
  20. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Including the X-Rays from when Harrison Ford got taken to the hospital.

Blazer-Smith, darklordoftech and Ryus like this.
  21. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello everyone. I think the ending to this trilogy obviously hasn't been written yet. There maybe a vague outline of the overall story, but Disney will wait and see exactly how well the ST is received and if the new characters are 100 % accepted by everyone (which is upon the shoulders of the writers, actors, director etc). Wether hardcore fans and casual cinema goers feel true empathy for them? If so? Then it's entirely possible Disney will give the go ahead for a further trilogy focusing entirely on the new stars of the ST.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

in the eu, Luke was 27 when he trained adults, and it was rocky at first, but it worked, and when the republic needed Jedi Luke had 100 . This works, and should be used again.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    That bit of the EU was written LONG before the PT came out when the authors only had Luke's training as an example to go off of and presumed that it was typical and that such instruction could be provided like it was some sort of modern martial arts course. Unlearn what you have learned from the EU. The PT and TCW established pretty clearly that, outside of the most basic introductory elements, the Jedi have only ever trained one-on-one, master to apprentice, and that, with the exception of crash courses for someone with the Force potential of the Chosen One, it is a process that takes years to complete (i.e. more like the intensive training used by Eastern monastic traditions than a mass market self-defense course).

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That might also be because they're training people from infancy to adulthood.

When a person's already an adult - the course may not need to be as long.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Twist ending. Billy Skywalker wasn't meant to prevent Judgement Day, only survive it.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.