main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What should go into a Literature forum FAQ, and how and where should it appear?

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Just as the title says. Give us your input. :)

2. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Spoiler rules.

Anti-bashing rules.

Should be along the top in big bright fonts.

3. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    In bold "stickied" at the top. Also in the top bar. With the stuff WK said. Maybe the guide to threads, too, so there aren't so many redundant threads.

4. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    What Wild_kardde said. Maybe some simple etiquette tips ('whatever sucks' is not an argument!). Maybe some sock guidelines? I don't have anything against socks unless people use them to be total schmucks.

5. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Also in etiquette tips: Do not compare anyone or anything to 9/11, no matter how much it reminds you of it, because you will be flamed.

EDIT: Oh, and abbreviations of book titles and what they mean.

6. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Er... I think Gandolf made one of these a while ago, and it was really good except it fell after a life-or-death duel with an ancient fiery monster...

Sorry, that was Gandalf

I also think a short set of bios of some lesser-known characters might be helpful... and what's happened to the others. Not neccessarily for sticky, but it'd be helpful nonetheless. Shira Brie, for example, could be entry one. Daala, Karrde, Soontir Fel.

~monogpfm

7. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    And tell people what PoT means, and that they do have it in the UK. :D

Only really old-school users will get this. Probably noone besides me will remember it though. Poor Poodu :(

8. kowikan_monkey

kowikan_monkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, I agree with Flying-Fishi. I've seen way too many "Who is Shira Brie?" topics in my history with the JC. Posting biographies of lesser-known characters would be helpful to newbs.

9. Thejedikiller

Thejedikiller Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 26, 1999
    Oh I remember the whole PoT thing w_k. It was one of those things that is hard to forget. ;)

10. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    Strangely enough, the number of DE-'what is it ?' related threads has dropped dramatically this year, so something is being done right in that area.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Please mention that an SSD is 12.8 km long, for god's sake!

12. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Yay! I'm not the only one who remembered one of the funniest threads in Lit history :D

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    wampa's FAQ and acronym list are already pretty good, it's just that not that many people visit them. Sturm was supposed to be working on an FAQ as well. We should get those two guys together to combine everything they have. I still post to Sturm's official FAQ project topic when I have ideas. wampa usually combines everything to his FAQ when posted in Sturm's thread.

If there is going to be an official one, I think it should divided into four parts:
    1) Forum policy related questions
    - spoiler guidelines
    - netiquette
    - former & current codenames
    - in jokes (mayor of sernpidal, monkeys, etc.)
    - etc.
    2) EU literature questions
    - see wampas FAQ
    - blurbs about not too well known characters "The Essential Guide to Minor Characters" :)
    3) acronym list
    - again see wampas acronym list
    4) links to online EU resources
    - Literature Index
    - other FAQs
    - TOS Databank
    - Time Tales
    - Timeline
    - Unofficical Encyclopedia
    - Timelie Gold
    - Literature Compendium
    - JediNet Literature
    - TFN Books, Comics, RPG
    - Dark Horse Timeline
    - Del Rey Timeline
    - official sites
    ---- TOS
    ---- Dark Horse Star Wars
    ---- Del Rey Star Wars
    ---- WotC Star Wars RPG
    ---- Star Wars Fan Club
    ---- etc.

I contributed to the Lit Index and EU FAQ already, and I'd be willing to help out more if Sturm/wampa, or whoever ends up owning the project, wants help.

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    We should just keep one sticky thread at the top. In it have a link to the web page for the FAQ, Acronym list, and Lit Index along with all the policies for EU Lit.

Also check out the Games forum. They have a fancy moving side scrolling banner at the top for announcements.

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    On the announcements thing, that is easy to do and set up. We've had it at times, but recently there hasn't been all that much to put in it.

16. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I also think it's worthy to point out that Wampa hasn't been working on the index much, mostly becuase of his job at swsotf now.

17. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I think we should have a sticky thread with links to the Official and Review Threads of recent novels, but maybe that's just me.

18. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Those links should be in the Lit. Index. That's the whole point of it. If wampa is slowing down, maybe he should take on a partner , or hand it over.

19. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I will volenter.

20. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    how about "official book discussion" or "official book speculation" thread links? That way, newer registrees don't automatically create a thread or something.

Or does that sound stupid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.