main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Should Happen To Kyp? NJO Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lianna, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    When the series began, Kyp was a rather contraversial character. He was a Jedi whose ideas differed from the revered Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker and made some choices that others consider rather questionable. All making him a point of contention in the storyline and on many SW boards.

Many expected Kyp to be a contending character in the NJO right until the end, even with the character change in DJ.

But, ever since DJ we have seen Kyp's characer mellow out even to the point of being almost uneccasary(sp). In the current trilogy his appearance was brief to say the least and there is no hope of him showing up in the next book, Reunion.

What should happen to his character? Should he continue to mellow and fade into the background, joining an ever growing list of characters that serve no real purpose to the story? Should he re-emerge as a main character? Or should he (as some people have expressed in the past) die, perhaps in a hero's death, finally to redeem himself?

2. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Kyp for the moment is largely satisfied, he is a member of the jedi council, so Luke has included him in the decision making process, and luke has taken a far more aggresive look on the war against the YV... Kyp probably still has some role left to play, and he'll surely be a player in TFP/TUF.

3. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    While I dislike Kyp's character, he does play an important role in the series. However he will never be a main character. He is always going to be a secondary character who will have big parts in certain novels, when he is truly needed, but will also disappear from novels altogether for awhile.

There are many characters in the Star Wars universe like this, Corran, Wedge, and even Mara up until the NJO. They would have big parts in certain novels, and then vanish for many novels on end.

It would be a nice touch if he were to die a hero's death in The Unifying Force.

4. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I think he should go out in a blaze of glory.

5. Jedi_Jason5001

Jedi_Jason5001 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2001
    I'm actually quite surprised that Kyp hasnt shown up in the last little while. I noticed his disappearance and wondered what happened to him. Heh, I thought that he might have taken a trip to EU limbo land, to kick back with (fill in limbo characters here). I think that his role as being on the council is good enough.

6. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    he should die. right before Luke dies.

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    He shouldnt die in a blaze of glory because he already sacrificed himself for Jaina. Why do it twice?

IMO, he will just fade into the background.

8. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    He should lose confidence in the force and stop using it.

9. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    he should die at the hands of shimmra in a quick duel. no blaze of glory, no heroic finale, no sacrificial offering...just a quick painful death that will send shudders through the force of how terrible the death was.

10. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think he should survive the NJO and finally find the happiness that he deserves for the rest of his days. Of course we know that aint gonna happen, though. [face_plain]

Ultimately I agree with RF that he'll most likely just fade into the background, which may just be a fate worse than death...

11. Lord_of_the_Siths

Lord_of_the_Siths Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2003
    He should just lay down, and die.

12. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    can we say,

NONE SHALL PASS!

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm not fond of him and would like to see him die, but he's too important now...

14. Lianna

Lianna Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Pretty typical. So many want Kyp to die. I would love for him to re-emerge as an important character and contribute to the story in some major way. But as RF and Dvader brought out, he will mostly likely just fade into the background-a fate worse than death imo. :(

I just can't stand to see his character brushed to the side as it has been in the last few books. :mad:

15. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    He should open a restaurant. The Sun Crusher Sloppy Joe and the Sith Smoothiee.

16. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    A hero's death in a gallant battle. At least then his character woud be stomachable. He's just so wishy-washy.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Vector Prime started the whole fiasco off. While it was good to finally see some POV from him, and he was inventive in fending off the grutchins, the Dozen-and-Two Avengers name was utterly ridiculous.

Why not call it Supreme Durron Squadron, like Captain America?

And why hunt down smugglers, when you could place higher priority like slavers and pirates?

I'd be just as annoyed if he ate the ax as, say, Shada, would. They're useful supporting characters to have and integrate into a storyline, but series has to show DEVELOPMENT and that's what we've seen with him. And his need to atone his grievous activities as an 18yo is a powerful subplot that can always be employed . . .

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Vector Prime started the whole fiasco off. While it was good to finally see some POV from him, and he was inventive in fending off the grutchins, the Dozen-and-Two Avengers name was utterly ridiculous.

Why not call it Supreme Durron Squadron, like Captain America?

And why hunt down smugglers, when you could place higher priority like slavers and pirates?

I'd be just as annoyed if he ate the ax as, say, Shada, would. They're useful supporting characters to have and integrate into a storyline, but series has to show DEVELOPMENT and that's what we've seen with him. And his need to atone his grievous activities as an 18yo is a powerful subplot that can always be employed . . .

19. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    He should die a hero's death. When a character reaches a point when they become that unecessary...they are killed off. Not exactly in a bad way, but killed off all the same. The way I see it, The New Jedi Order is essentially the story of the Solo children, Tahiri and the Yuuzhan Vong, specifically Nom Anor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.