main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What should I be reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Okay, single mother of two... gotta pay the bills! Not like I got tons of time to spend with my face in a Jeter or Hambley novel so I'm gonna post some books I've been considering to read and anybidy who cares can help by telling me which are going to be a waste of my time:

-Splinter of a Mind's eye

-Cloak of Deception

-Vector Prime

-Star by Star

I think that's the lot of 'em. So which must I pick up right away and which can wait? Let's try the star system; one* being the lowest and four**** the highest.

~also, If Splinter and Vector are any good I'll probably find myself with each author's AOTC books as well.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Just to remind you, despite my unargumentative style, I do in fact carry my genitals on the outside. That said:

-Splinter of a Mind's eye -- A good read, it's the first EU novel written. It doesn't really tie-in with any other novels, though.

-Cloak of Deception -- A very good read, this book explains why what happens in TPM happens. This is probably the one I'd pick.

-Vector Prime -- The beginning of the New Jedi Order series.

-Star by Star -- Don't get me wrong, this is a great book -- but it's also the centerpiece of a big series, so you should definitely not pick this up yet.

3. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Thanks Madge, I think it finally sunk in! ;)

I was afraid of "Splinter" not fitting in properly. Although, I feel a little obligated to buy it since it'll give me a taste of his style before "The Approching Storm"?

What happened to my *stars*? :_|

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, he wrote it almost twenty-five years ago, and he's written TONS of books since, so don't worry about that too much. But it is a good and fun book...

5. Farmboy

Farmboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2002
    I agree with Mastadge. Vector Prime and Star by Star are very good, but you will get addicted to it too fast. Cloak of Deception made Episode One much better.

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Wasn't he also responsible for a certain ghostwritten book that those not in the know attribute to Lucas? That being the original novelization, which just celebrated it's 25th birthday/release last month. Speaking of which, aside from a special novel collection of the orginal trilogy novelizations and the release of AotC this year, any ideas how Star Wars will be celebrating it's silver birthday?

7. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    That's right! I've read the original novelizaton of ANH and loved it to death! How could I have forgotten that ADF actually wrote it?! Well, that settles it; I have had a taste of his style and am confident to go forth and tackle both Splinter and Approaching. Thanks to everyone who was kind ebough to respond.

Though, I have to wonder... can we really call ADF's ANH book a novelization if it came out way before the film? :confused:

8. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    PA...
    "Way" is relative. Novellizations of films usually are out before the actual movie.

All the Star Wars novels have been this way.

ANH just happened to be out 5 months prior instead of one or two months prior. No biggie - it's still the novellization based off the script/screenplay of the movie.

So, yes - even if it was released in 1973, it would still be the novellization as long as it was based on the same script/screenplay the movie was based on.

9. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    "More to say have you?...."

10. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Because they contain material that doesn't appear in the movies, I always consider the novelizations a part of the EU as well as movie material. But despite that fact, the novelizations follow very closely what happens in the movies. As Genghis pointed out, this is because they are based on the screenplays. So yes, the novelization to ANH should be called a novelization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.