main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What should I do with my EU collection?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ben Schlosser, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Schlosser

Ben Schlosser Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2014
    I'm facing a tough decision. A couple of years ago, before The Great Retcon, I had started collecting EU novels. It all started at a yard sale where I scored a box containing nearly all the Bantam era books, mostly hardcovers and in like new condition, and all the various trilogies in softcover in decent condition, for $30. I began reading them in publication order, so after reading the movie novelizations, splinter of the minds eye, and the Han solo and lando adventures, I tore into the Thrawn trilogy, which was of course awesome.

While reading, I continued to expand my collection, buying up anything I could find at the local used book store, even overpaid for a couple of em at B&N, if I saw it, I had to get it. As a result, I now own over 100 novels, half hardback and half softcover. But so far I've only actually read the Thrawn trilogy, and Truce at Bakura.

But my reading and collecting came to a grinding halt that day the Mouse killed the EU. I haven't read or bought any since, and I don't know if I should now that they are all null and void. Like I said, I own a good 3/4 of all the EU novels, and was hoping to one day read them all.

Part of me wants to keep going until I own the full set of retconned novels, so if nothing else I could one day sell it to a hardcore collector. But I'm at a financial crisis point and need to sell some of my stuff to pay bills. I told my gf I was just going to take all the books and sell them at the used book store for pennies on the dollar. She said that would be a mistake and I should try to sell them to a collector instead. Problem is, they're in different formats and conditions, I have no idea what they're worth now that they're retconned. Maybe more, maybe a lot less.

But I still want to read at least some of the stories. I don't know what I should do anymore. The majority of my books are set in the New Republic Era, which means they are the books most likely to be completely and utterly gutted by the new film trilogy. I was especially looking forward to the Jedi Academy, New Jedi Order, Fate of the Jedi and Legacy of the Force series, but those are going to be completely contradicted by the upcoming movies.

The Old Republic and Rise of the Empire era is where I have the biggest gap in my collection, I don't own any of the Republic Commando or Coruscant Nights, or any of the "Darth ____" novels. The last book I bought was Shatterpoint based on its popularity on this forum, and I plan to buy Shadows of Mindor since that one also seems to get a lot of recs.

Sorry for such a long winded post from a noob, but I seek the wisdom of the Jedi Council on this one. Should I keep reading? And if so, which ones should I start with? Which should I avoid? And if I need to sell some of them to keep gas in the tank, which ones do you think I could get away with skipping entirely?

May the Force be with you.

2. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Keep collecting. When you can. Star Wars is a universe where you can choose your own ending.

Sorry drl is treating you rough friend. Books of any kind will be a tough sell anywhere :/

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If you're still curious keep buying as you can and set aside the ones you want to read most. I'd suggest that the Mouse's actions only matter if you let them. :)

4. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Aw man, ARE YOU INSANE?! Screw Disney and their stupid canon! What matters is YOUR CANON. You think I'm going to throw away my beloved novels just so I can watch that lame tv Show Rebels just because disney says that's canon and awesome epic masterpieces like Darth Plagueis and The Darth Bane Trilogy aren't? don't be a follower, be a leader and stick to enjoying what you enjoy...and as far as post Return of the Jedi stuff...I'm keeping my Thrawn trilogy...even if it contradicts episode 7 or not..remember ALL this stuff is just a legend...it's not like we're establishing Biblical canon or something like that...Star Wars isn't real, just enjoy the stories you love no matter what the stupid mouse with the big ears says...

Plus the expanded universe was never truly canon to begin with as far as fitting in with the films...the books follow their own cannon but it never 100 percent coincided with the films...so in theory nothing has changed for you...only that some dumb mouse is saying that all new releases from here on out will be canon along with the films...HA! WE will be the judge of that..and so far Rebels is more meaningless to me that the Star Wars Christmas Special...

5. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Keep them. I recently bought several novels, and one of them has already been labeled Legends. Doesn't matter to me. I only have 12 more to go. I'm not stopping now. It's too much fun. I have yet to buy the new stuff but am planning to. Go ahead and read what you have. Some of it you may not like but I'm almost certain you will like some. You're not going to get a whole lot of money for the books anyway. Enjoy them.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep them. Or send them to fans who need them.
    I am never giving mine up. No way no how.
    I do have some duplicates I might get rid of eventually.

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Keep them and read them. No damned mouse is gonna tell me what counts and what doesn't Lucas couldn't do that, and sure as hell Mickey can't either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.