main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What should IATI do?

Discussion in 'Community' started by I Are The Internets, Dec 9, 2015.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is a silly thing and not that important, but I'm looking for advice from people on the internet regardless. Currently, I'm behind a generation console wise. As some of you fellow gamers may know, I've been itching to get a PS4 for about 6 months now. Now the obvious solution would be to go out and actually buy one and quit whining, but there's a bit more to this. I have just one more class to take to finish my college diploma, and my parents have said that once that's finished, the PS4 will be a graduation present.

However, I applied to the University of Minnesota to get said class done a month ago. They finally emailed me back yesterday saying my high school still hasn't sent my transcript in. My guess is, I might be taking this class next fall. Now I don't want to wait a year to get my new console, holiday bonuses from my job will be piling on since I'm working every single day until the 17th, I'm getting gift checks from relatives, and I have more than enough savings to survive this potential huge chunk of money spent. Should I get one now or wait?

It's not big a deal to me either way. I have a ton of movies in my library to watch along with a ton of games in my gaming library. Again, this is a silly little thing and nothing major. There's just a ton of exclusives this holiday season that I want to play.

TLDR Should I get a PS4 or wait a year?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have a GameCube, and an 8-bit NES that we soldered a parallel-port into so we can control it from a PC...

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This should have gone in the first world problems thread.

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's more than a first world problem!

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Not really, no.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Buy it. Then your parents can get you games as a graduation present. Or the PS5.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Are you a gamer by chance Diggy? I've probably asked this before.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Perhaps it's the brand indoctrination of Playstation Experience talking, or the fact that Adam Boyes is holding a gun to my head, but I've got to tell you: with the recent rollout of a temporary price reduction to $300 which allows you to pick up both the improved model and a copy of the critically acclaimed Nathan Drake Collection for one fantastic low price, and the numerous digital and physical holiday deals currently available, there's never been a better time to join the Playstation Nation™.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    No, I sort of grew out of it. But I think a sequel to Red Dead Redemption could pull me back in.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What Ramza said. There are currently a lot of package deals, so this is actually a good time to get one. Reward yourself for hard work.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    God damn I love that game so much. But I'd rather they not make a sequel unless it's with different characters.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They will. Otherwise they'd have to go backward in terms of weaponry, and I can;t see that happening.

And as it happens some alledged leaks came out just today.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Get a PC and join the superior race.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Shouldn't you be spending your money on hot babes?

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I haven't owned a console since...the N64...but these days is there a particular reason to get a PS4 over an XBox-whatever-number-they're-on-now, considering that a lot of games are released on multiple platforms?

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There are just enough exclusives that if you care about any of them you basically have a preference automatically, but they're certainly at the lowest percentage of overall releases that they've ever been at.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well looks like I'll be getting the SW Battlefront PS4 bundle for Xmas that's $299.000 (thanks Ramza, for letting me know the temporary price) since I'm paying for half of it!

However, now I have to think of a better grad gift. New laptop?

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Hookers and coke.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Get the PS4 now and play Witcher. If you're waiting until next fall for the class that's what you must do. There's no reason to wait.

As for the new grad gift ask them to help you with your moving costs when you move out eventually.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's a great idea regarding the grad gift since my family and I have been discussing me moving out this past week.

I really want to get and play Witcher 3, but do I need to play the first two to gain a better understanding of gameplay/storyline? Or does it matter?

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't think you should wait, for any reason, to play Witcher 3. It's an incredible experience, and I think it stands alone well enough.

If you have a chance to sometime play Witcher 2, it is a good game as well, though nothing close to its sequel.

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    you should stop referring to yourself in the third person

heels1785 likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm taking a break on dating for a while actually. I'm happy where I am right now for the most part.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Who said anything about dating?

SuperWatto likes this.