main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What should Indy go after next?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Obironsolo, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    So okay, assuming there will be a fifth movie, what should be Indy's quest?

There is the city of Atlantis.
    Or the Fountain of Youth.
    Or the Lost World.

None of them are objects, I realize, by the way. And he always goes after an object.

I'm curious if anyone can think of any legit possibilities?

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    There is the city of Atlantis.
    He's already found and destroyed it. :p

There are obvious things like the Spear of Destiny but I don't see them going to that well again, should another one be made. Especially since they've moved to the 50s.

With the Ark, the Grail, Atlantis, aliens and El Dorado already done, the list of iconic legendary treasures is decreasing. And it seems National Treasure has locked up the 'American history treasure' side of things, that seems unlikely as well.

Maybe something Troy/Ancient Greek related. Golden fleece/apple?

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I like the idea of Ancient Greece. I can see him trying to cross the Styx :D

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Indiana Jones and the Zimmerframe of Power?

5. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    There is an Indy V thread already, but I'll play along. Over in that thread people have been mentioning Excalibur, but I think given the limited powers of that sword it doesn't make for a very exciting macguffin on its own.

But along the same lines, what would make for a thrilling series of unearthed artifacts, would be the Four Hallows of Britain: In Arthurian tradition (which is distinct from the Irish), these are The Spear of Destiny (the spear that pierced Christ's side and which also emasculated the Fisher King), the Sword of Light (which could be Excalibur if you wanted to tweak the legend a bit), the Cauldron of Plenty (similar to the Grail, but actually brings dead warriors back to life), and the Stone of Destiny (in which the Sword was embedded).

This would be awesome on a level that I cannot even explain!

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, I see this one a little different than the Indy V thread. This one is specifically aimed at an object while the other one is a little more general. I'll let this one be for now.

In terms of what I would like to see Indy go after, Atlantis has been mentioned several times in the past and I think it would be the perfect fit. Sure, there was a video game centered around that but we all know Lucas' track record. Novels and games are extra material to him and can be easily overwritten.

Other than that, I've always thought the Biblical artifacts worked quite nicely(the Ark and the Grail). I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Shangri La, a paradise of immortality. It would make for a good target for an aging Indy.

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I enjoyed the little "Indy acting like his father" bits in KotCS as much as the next man*, but I think sending Indy on a quest for anything whose primary power is immortality comes too close to a flat-out rehash of Last Crusade.

*"I WAS the next man." There, I said it so no one else has to.:p

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I still like the Excalibur idea if the legend's tweaked as Indy often does. I think the idea of the object being a sword would be really, really helpful to building Mutt's character into a more important character if they want him to eventually be able to have his own films or something. Swords are often symbolic of the passing of power from a father to a son in films (think of those Star Wars movies :p)

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You know, I really like that idea! :cool:

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The trouble is the living forever thing was already done. And the ultimate conclusion of that quest wound up being that living forever wasn't what was important to Henry, it was living well and having illumination.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, it wouldn't be the first time that they have a somewhat similar McGuffin in two movies in the series... [face_whistling]

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    How so?

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, many people have pointed out how the Ark and the Holy Grail were both prized and beloved objects of Christianity.

15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd say the shangri-la immortality thing is closer to the Holy Grail the the Ark is.

Just because 2 things come from the same religion, it doesn't make them similar

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It depends on your point of view. ;)

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    1. The Ark is primarily a Hebrew relic rather than a Christian one.

2. Despite similar religious backgrounds, the ideas of what the Ark and the Grail are each 'about' are very different. The Ark, as portrayed in Raiders is about the power (and often wrath) of God. It's also a rather impersonal artifact, applying its power to entire peoples and armies rather than individuals. The Grail, on the other hand, is a very personal relic. Its power is applied to individual lives, and offers enlightenment to those who deal with it wisely.

18. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I would love to see Indy go after Atlantis, just because it's always fascinated me :)

19. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
  20. Spaceman_Spiff

Spaceman_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2001
  21. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Spiff: [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

22. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    The Vinyl-cloak Jawa.

23. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Indiana Jones and the Journal of the Whills

24. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004
    What should Indy go after next?

A decent script maybe . they're hard to find .

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The glove of Darth Vader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.