main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    This has surely got to be the emotional climax of the prequels. (or the saga, bar the redemption scene in ROTJ)

So it's only natural to assume that the music that accompanies this sequence will be very moving and dramatic. I imagine this will be the most talked about scene in EPIII soon.

Despite the Love theme in AOTC being for Anakin/Padme's romance, I think it has a epic sadness quality that would fit into the duel nicely. Duel of the Fates would work to, the imperial march, force theme...all could be used!

What sort of music would you like to see played? What mood do you think is appropriate?

Depending on your point of view, the duel could be all about aggression, the dark side...or about the Force, or about Anakin..or about the power of the light side.

In ordinary cases, if good would win (ObiWan kills Anakin) triumphant music would play, but that wouldn't seem to fit here.

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I think there should be some Vader theme in there.

3. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Music similar to "The Dark Side Beckons" perahaps, and it would be nice to hear a darker, more sinister version of the Force theme

4. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Well, it definately should be an entirely new theme, however, it should be a very long, 6 or 7 minute track with various other SW tunes in there.

I remember GL said to John Williams he wanted to use the DOTF again in Episode III, for the lightsaber duel I believe.

So, the new music for this theme should be mixed with various spots of the DOTF and the Imperial March.

That would be sweetness in the making :D

ST

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Disco.

Disco all the way.

6. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I hope DOTF isn't used again. Sure, it's a nice piece of music, but it's been used far too many times. I'd much rather hear something new and original.

7. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    New and original doesn't tend to happen with thematic music. I think Duel of the Fates will fit nicely is rearranged a bit, in terms of octave, tempo, and key.

8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Disco?? [face_laugh]

I don't think it should be DoTF. Perhaps something along the lines of the Luke/Vader duel in ESB or something entirely new(preferred).

http://www.geocities.com/lilmacumd/escape.html

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    I think it is soposed to be DOTF but I would like something MORE. Something more emotional because DOTF has been used too much.

10. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    The duel music from ROTJ, it's dark and with work it could become so much darker. As much I love DOTF, I just don't see it as the main them. (It's just not dark enough, IMHO--I don't cringe while listening).

11. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    (SPOILER WARNING)

Duel of the fates has hardly been used too much. It was used in one lightsaber battle in episode 1, and it would be a shame for a theme to be used only once in the trilogy. I know it is used in episode 2 in the return to tatooine track, but that is still hardly overuse. the force theme and other themes are used everywhere and are not at all overused.

(NO MORE SPOILERS!)

anyway, i think the music for the duel should be duel of the fates at intense parts, with of course the force theme and imperial march thrown in at different parts when either anakin/obiwan has the upper hand. the music will of course have to be softer at parts where they talk to eachother, so i think a nice medley of themes would treat that duel the best

12. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    It should be a dark, sad piece, to emphasize the undercurrent of emotions and to signify everything that's riding on the duel. I hope it won't be some superficial "action" piece (ala DotF).

13. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    why does there have to be any music? why is it that the fight in E3 will have a cool music but when vader and obi meet up 20yrs later there aint no cool music playing?

I think lucas shouldn't make e3 obi vs anakin fight the best fight in all the movies. i think he should leave the maul, obi, qui gon fight to be the best. and slowly each movies fights get slower but more important. with more talking. the fights would mean more

it'd be stupid if obi and anakin fight is all about fighting like mauls' ::eek:bi walks and see's anakin. draws lightsaber and fights::

no no they need to talk. and take the fight slowly. "why did u do this to me master" ::swings his saber. sabers lock:: "let go of your anger anakin. dont go down the dark side path" ::swings a few times............ u get the point.

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I STILL say disco.
    Or perhaps "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats. :D

Hmm... I never thought about rearranging DOTF in terms of tempo. I wonder if it'd sound good done as the same low-pitched chant we hear in the Emperor's throne room?

15. vlps

vlps Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 11, 2002
    I heard that GL want DOFT for the end of III

16. Sam

Sam Jedi Master star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    What if after Obi wan kills/wins over Anakin and then you hear vaders theme or Vaders Breathing pointing to you know what...

17. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    About DOTF being Episode III: during the music (I think) documentary on the TPM DVD, Lucas told Williams he wants the chorus in DOTF to go with Episode III. He said it would all fit together.

I, too, think that the Ep2 love theme is tragic and epic. I'd like the Duel theme to have this same quality. Not very fast like DOTF, but tragic and somber.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
  19. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    The final duel in ep3 when Luke starts hammering poor Vader. That's burned in my memory definately.

20. JediCulture

JediCulture Jedi Master

May 4, 2002
    I think it's fairly certain that it's gonna be Duel of the Fates.

21. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    A variation on DotF, definitely. If it's at all possible, making it sound darker somehow by changing the key or something. Though the luke/vader duel music in the Throne Room is nothing short of fantastic, some mixture of the both would be perfect. I'm sure Williams is up to it. :)

22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think there should be snippets from DotF, Imperial March, Force theme, maybe even AtS... But one thing is for sure: whatever the music is, it's going to be AWESOME. I'm sure John Williams will outdo himself again. ;)

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The final duel in ep3 when Luke starts hammering poor Vader. That's burned in my memory definately.

Huh? Episode 3? Luke?

As for the music in Episode 6 when Luke and Vader are duelling, NO!!!!!!!!!

This should remain ONLY for that ultimate moment between father and son. It should not be used ANYWHERE else.

24. Hooperx

Hooperx Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2000
    It should be a fixed bass Imperial march and dual of the fates in a cantus firmus. That would give it that spiritual pizzaz that WIlliams and Lucase were looking for when Williams scored Dual of the Fates.

25. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    Sorry, I meant Ep6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.