main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I want an original score with tie-ins of DOTF, a dark ATS and a choral Force theme. Then as Obi-Wan walks away we hear the mystery theme from AOTC, and when Anakin gets out of the pit with his vengeful look we hear the tusken slaughter theme turning into the Imperial March.

How about that? :)

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Replace the Mystery Theme with a mournful Force Theme or Qui-Gon's Theme, and swtich Tusken Slaughter/Imperial March to Force Theme/Imperial March, and you've got a winner.

3. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    For me, now, more than ever, I'd love to hear the old "Battle of the Motifs" notion in Revenge of the Sith ? and lots of it. I'm really concerned about hearing: Lots of contrast, lots of interweaving, lots of old, retro, Star Wars, sonic-sound.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Nah, we had this in Matrix: Revolutions. While Matrix music is generally not up to the level of SW, I especially disliked the symphony bits of Neodammerung. Don't use old themes unless you're going to make them sound different!

5. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    Don't use old themes unless you're going to make them sound different!

I wholeheartedly agree.

6. The_SkyWolves

The_SkyWolves Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    Did anyone listen to the MIDI file that Cerrabore posted for us? I'll post the link again in case anyone new's reading and interested.

http://www.freewebs.com/cerrabore/THEDUEL3.MID

It was our idea for the music that's RIGHT AS Anakin falls. The choral parts go

Haras (Anger)
    Ama (Fear)
    Rabhas (Violence)

Tamisra! (Darkness, like the darkness of hell.)

IF anyone's interested, please check it out. We'd love feedback.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Cool-sounding!

8. AnakinsFinalTurn

AnakinsFinalTurn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    man i just had a crazy duel vision. wow this would fit the annie ob1 duel .

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Tell us about it. :)

10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "The Clash Of Lightsabers" has been a popular choice in many of the prequel trailers.

I wonder if JW may resort to using the IM in this style for the ROTS duel.

11. MasterofHavoc

MasterofHavoc Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2004
    I'd like to see a new Imperial March during the meeting, then a new updated Duel of the Fates, then when Anakin falls a May the Force Be With You or the Ending to ESB.

12. MasterAkira

MasterAkira Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that no mater what it is that it will be another great song by GW, I really don't think the should use DOTF, I reall think it should be more along the lines of across the stars type of song more dramatic and deep.

13. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Remember, this is a non-spoiler thread! :)

I was just thinking about this again today. John Williams will be in London the first week of February to record the ROTS score with the LSO.

We've had a lot of interesting ideas in here.

I think there are some basic questions about this:

? How much of the duel will remain unscored?

? How many different themes will be used?

? Will there be any new non-thematic material (a lá "The Dark Side Beckons")

? Will "The Dark Side Beckons" be reprised?

? What new arraingements will there be? (e.g. use of a chorus for the Force Theme)

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    How much of the duel will remain unscored?

I don't think that much, personally. The really important, 'event' duels (ROTJ, TPM, etc.) tend to be almost continually scored.

Well, I reckon we can be sure of the following:

Across the Stars
    Imperial March
    Emperor's Theme
    Force Theme
    *Maybe* Luke & Leia's Theme or Anakin's Theme

Prolly. There's a scene in the flick where a TDSB piece would fit pretty nicely.

I'd hope so, but I doubt it.

? What new arrangements will there be? (e.g. use of a chorus for the Force Theme)

I'd reckon on a sadder version of Across The Stars, but that's about it, IMO.

15. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    I really have no idea about the rest of it, but I think that "The Dark Side Beckons" would be used when Anakin "turns" in order to mirror it's use in ROTJ(when Luke nearly does), whether that moment is during "The Duel" or not I don't know...

I'm bouncing off the walls waiting for the soundtrack. :D

ttbk

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, it's a pretty safe bet TDSB won't be in The Duel.

I'm pretty spoiled, and I think I can say the fitting place for it would be earlier in the film.

Hope that's not a spoiler...?

17. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004

Well of course there will be, you can't expect themes to be playing nonstop throughout the score! I'm guessing we'll get a couple of big cues without themes (except "mini-themes" of their own), a la "Imperial Walkers" or "The Chase Through Coruscant," and lots of more inconsequential nonthematic material.

18. shacharg

shacharg Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    First of all, I must say that I really hope that a darker version of "The Dark Side Beckons" will be used. It must be completed in a different way to signify the turn to the dark side. It would be great to hear such a piece in the scene in which Anakin actually turns to the dark side. This scene should be much before the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel, which as said in this thread would probably and desirablely be only after Obi-Wan decides to try to turn Anakin back.
    (It would tie the trilogies together beautifully if it's contrasted to the Vader/Luke scene on Endor, while the actual turn to the dark side is contrasted to Luke's almost turn - for example, and I'm not spoiled, if Anakin kills Dooku - it would be so great!).
    Besides, the duel itself would defintely feature the DOTF and hopefully some new non-thematic material, but I agree that a significant part of the duel should be unscored.

Also, I hope that the movie in general will feature "The Emperor's theme", a theme that I personally like very much and was used only in Ep6 so far. Ep3 is somewhat Palpatine's movie too and therefore this theme must be used significantly.
    I don't think any new themes should be composed - there are enough themes in saga. There should only be new non-thematic material, known themes and hopefully different versions of known themes. As someone said in another thread, the Empire's Ep4 theme should be used to tie the trilogies - and should be used more than the IM in my opinion.

And a chorus version of the Force Theme would be explosively exciting! (but not in the duel)

19. Charth_Maul

Charth_Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2001
    "The Emperor's Theme" was used heavily in Phantom Menace, bro. (I'm not sure if it was in AOTC or not; I don't recall hearing it, but I could be wrong there.)

Unless you're thinking of a different theme.

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    The Emperor's Theme plays in AOTC as Tyranus goes to meet with Sidious on Coruscant. However, that cue does not appear on the soundtrack.

21. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    ? How much of the duel will remain unscored?
    There's bound to be some portions of it unscored. Possibly when there's a break in the action, lots of background noise, or simply for a dramatic effect.

Let's list a few definite possibilities, shall we?
    - Darth Vader's Theme
    - The Force Theme
    - The Emperor's Theme
    - Sith Chant
    - Duel of the Fates (If any of you have heard the deleted cue, "The Great Duel", I hope that finds its way in)

Some other more unlikely possibilities would be...
    - Anakin's Theme
    - Qui-Gon's Theme
    - Across the Stars
    - Main Title
    - Imperial Motif

Assuming The Duel isn't three minutes long... of course.

Just because John Williams has already made a great dramatic cue, doesn't mean he can't whip up another. [face_mischief]

? What new arraingements will there be? (e.g. use of a chorus for the Force Theme)
    I'm hoping for a bold, slow, and loud version of Darth Vader's Theme with the choir accompanying the orchestra. As I've said, I'm expecting "The Great Duel" to come back seeing it was cut from TPM. A choral Force Theme sounds great, a full-orchestra Emperor's Theme would be awesome to hear, and the Sith Chant underscoring Vader's Theme would give me goosebumps. :D

22. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Sorry, when I said "Well of course there will be new nonthematic material!" I thought this was a the Episode III thread, not the duel-only thread. (Still, I think parts of it are bound to be nonthematic.)

"The Great Duel" would be nice, but how about original material? So far, tracking in music from previous films has proved disastrous for the prequels.

23. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    "The Great Duel" would be nice, but how about original material? So far, tracking in music from previous films has proved disastrous for the prequels.

Yes, but almost nobody's heard it before. As I said, it was cut, and it's pretty rare. The only place I've heard it before was off this very site, here, at about the 4:40 mark. I'm not sure if they'd track it, though. Perhaps just doing it again would be best.

Though I am excited to hear what original material John's written for The Duel. :D

24. shacharg

shacharg Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    This is a great track (especially the part in 2:30-4:30)! Isn't it in the TPM soundtrack?
    I don't own the TPM soundtrack and this really reminded me that I have to buy it (the full version of course). The music during the duel in TPM is really good, and I hope the music in ROTS won't disappoint.
    BTW, have anyone noticed that the music just before the 4:30 mark is very similar to the beginning of the IM?

Charth_Maul, I don't recall hearing the Emperor's Theme in TPM, but since I don't have the soundtrack I probably didn't notice it. Anyway I think that in Ep3 it should be much more dominant.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, there is of course the version of the Emperor's Theme in Augie's in TPM ;) I believe that's the only use of it in the film, but I could be mistaken.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.