main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    i think the bulk of it should be duel of the fates, but in a darker way.
    Maybe at the end, i wanted the force theme to play, and if obi wins, be a good/loghter way, and if anakin triumphs, it should be darker (like in "confrontation with count dooku")

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I think the background music for the duel will be very dramatic, confused and irratic reflecting not only the drama of the duel, but also the emotional conflict in Anakin. There will be short sequences from both light and dark themes one after the other with a dark background.
    I think we will have parts of Duel of the Fates, the "Growing up" theme and The Emperor's theme, but most of all it will sound like the Tusken Camp theme from AOTC.

Of course, we do not know too much about the setting and who else are present.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    ..."Growing up" theme...

That would be Shmi's Theme. :p

4. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    It?ll be great, just as long as there are no tracked-on cues from Episode II.

5. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    At the risk of sounding like I am crazy, I must now tell you that I have heard the music that will be used for the duel in Episode III.

I think.

How, you ask? Remember WAAAY back to about mid-2000, in the glory days of Napster. The unreleased bootleg of the Phantom Menace soundtrack was making the rounds on the internet, mainly through one of the John Williams fan sites. Among these themes was alternate versions of Duel of the Fates. (One of these cues is on the DVD, being played on the documentary as the orchestra is recording.) Originally (as far as I know) these cues were meant to be used for the final parts of TPM, but when Lucas went back to re-edit the film before release (as he did again with AOTC) the music no longer fit. So, he had the concert version of Duel of the Fates (that was composed for the end credits) spliced up and used within the actual film itself. So then, what to do with the unused Duel music for TPM?
    Now, I swear in an interview I heard Lucas say (paraphrasing) "He (John Williams) probably doesn't realize it yet, but he's already written the music for the end of Episode III."

Now, some of the older members on this board can help to verify these alternate tracks for Duel of the Fates (I have them on my other computer at home, I'm in my dorm right now.) And maybe someone out there can even find a link to that interview about Williams having done the Episode III music.

Anyways, adding all these clues together leads me to believe that Lucas will use this already recorded music in Episode III, for the Duel.

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Pika, I have versions of DOTF called The Great Duel and The Duel Continues, which I'm guessing are the pieces to which you refer. I do recall reports of GL saying something to that effect.

I don't think he meant a specific recording, I think he may have been hinting that DOTF (or something else already written?) would appear in the final scene of Ep. III.

7. TurnedJedi

TurnedJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2002
    I think, and hope, that it will be Ben's Theme (now known as Force theme) vs. Vader's theme, sort of.

UNderstand?
    Like the London Symphony Orchestra battles each other while playing their themes.

8. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm pretty sure that GL has implied that he wants to have DOTF in some form in this scene.

Hopefully, we'll get more...

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes, yes... to Obi-Wan you listen... DOTF there should be... yes...

10. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm sure Williams will come up with a great track for this scene, using both some established themes and some new he will write for Episode 3.

As for my opinion, some force theme, some DOTF and some Imperial March with a new theme blending flawlessly depending on the actions on screen. But then again, it's not me that I will write this track.

11. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I have changed my mind back and forth on this topic and my final conclusion is that I would rather have a newly scored track for the duel rather then other ones.If there is a new arrangement of DOTF I hope that it sounds very diffrent from TPM.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I like the idea of the Force Theme and the Imperial March battling eachother..maybe even interweave them some?

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    If there is a new arrangement of DOTF I hope that it sounds very diffrent from TPM.

I would say slower, darker and more intense.

SLOWER AND MORE INTENSE!

I sound like George!

:D

14. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    That would be awesome!I just wouldnt want it for the whole duel.

15. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I was actually thinking of the celebration music from the RotJ SE, except with an action/evil twist and the melody sang by a choir.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nah that needs to stay just for that scene.

17. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Put together bits of Duel of the Fates, Vader's Theme, and the Imperial March and JW will have a winner. Even better would be to have Palpy find Anakin in the end accompained to the Emperor's them.

18. Blast

Dec 8, 2002
    >Vader's Theme, and the Imperial March <

I thought it was the same thing????? ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

19. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    i really think that the fight should be void of music at all

20. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I think that parts of it might work sans score, but for big emotional moments, there must be music! Remember, GL's primary vehicles for storytelling are the pictures and music (not dialogue).

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah exactly. Whatever the sequence entails, music is going to play a huge role in it.

22. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Think about the ANH duel. The sweeping Leia's Theme comes after it ends. It works well in that spot, but could it have been better? A little DOTF, I thought at first, but probably no. Vader's as far to the dark side as ever. Maybe some IM & Force Theme mix.

Then think of the ROTJ duel. The Dark Side Beckons is one of the greatest pieces of film score. Ever.

And I love the bold statement of the Emperor's Theme as Vader throws his saber at Luke, collapsing the catwalk.

The music is the emotion in these scenes.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think my biggest complaint about the ANH score is that it is at times a bit too heavy handed. The themes are used a bit too much and the arrangements are a bit too bombastic sometimes. Also there are too many scenes that are unscored for me...

24. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I don't mind the overuse of themes, just as you said the arrangements or performance of some themes when they appear (this happens the most in Battle of Yavin where the Force Theme is choked)

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    I have no real complaints about overuse.

General Kenobi, who likes bombast, especially in the IM. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.