What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    i dont really care how it turns out.

[luke_voice] I care. [/luke_voice]

ive never really liked the light saber battles that much anyway.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you mean the scoring or in general?
  2. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    not the music. i think the music for the lightsaber battles is awsome, i just never really liked acctual battles. i have always been one to enjoy the battles like at endor. all the groups working together and having it turn out correctaly.

And i do care about the final turn out, i just dont care about how john goes about doing it. so far all of his work has been spectacular and Im sure whatever he does will be amazing.
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    :eek: The lightsabre battles are some of the coolest parts of SW for me, musically and storywise

-sj loves kevin spacey
  4. PloKloon1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just gotta say, this has to be one of the best threads on the board. :D

Anyway, I think that duel should be made up of all the big themes: Force theme, DOTF, ATS, and the Imperial March. I would really like to here the Force theme pitted against the Imperial March, in one extravagant action cue...it all just sends shivers down my spine. [face_shivers-down-spine]
  5. PloKloon1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Great, I killed this thread. :(
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Force theme, DOTF, ATS, and the Imperial March

I agree with all of these except for ATS. It has no place in a scene that will likely not involve Padmé...

7. Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I'm putting bets on the following:

Anakin/Vader confronts Obi-Wan = A slow menacing version of The Imperial March.

They start fighting = The Imperial March turns to Duel of the Fates.

It'll kind of be like a flip side to the reactor control room scene in ESB, where they play the first few notes of DOTF, which then slowly turns into The Imperial March. ;)
  8. BabaORileyFett Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sure Lucas and Williams have a solid idea what song (s) will be used for this pivotal event. I fully expect DOTF to be used. Hopefully JW will compose some new tuneage, but it wouldn't bother me if he doesn't (for this one scene, that is).

I can't wait for the day the Episode III soundtrack is released to retail. It's going to be a thrilling experience listening to it for the very first time. Just reading the song titles will give me goosebumps.
  9. PloKloon1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think I'll try to restrain myself from listening to the soundtrack before seeing the movie. I listened to the Ep. II soundtrack about 10 times before seeing AOTC. :D

Oops, back on topic! Choral force theme, hell yeah. :)
  10. Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling

star 4
    GL has said that DOTF will be a constant theme that'll run all through the PT, so I fully expect DOTF to be the chosen theme for the "fateful" fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin.
  11. skyy38 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    There shouldn't be any music at all at the beginning of this sequence(much like Luke and Vader in ESB)There shouldn't be any music until up to the point where Ben gets nicked by Anakin in which case,my idea for a start theme follows(melody line-slowly,french horn)

F C C C# Bb Bb C

(Above music Copyright 2003 by ACB Music)

Then,after that,the action gets ramped up...
    blah blah blah..

12. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    Choral force theme, hell yeah.

amen :D

speaking of choral stuff, maybe a choral Vader's Theme slowly and qietly for the male tenors and basses after Anakin falls into the lava...That would be sweet :D. And during the fight, new music in the style of "Final Duel" near the end, and some new fast paced music when appropriate during the beginning, with hints of Vader's Theme and DotF all the way through the fight. I'd also really like to hear "The Great Duel" from TPM video game too
  13. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
  14. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
  15. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
  16. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Don't worry. This is a great thread.

We've got a long ways to go before Episode III...
  17. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    YAY!!! This has risen from the dead! :p
  18. camaro97 Jedi Padawan

With all of the talk of a choral force track, a solo piano version sometime during Ep3 would be nice change. Heck any of the themes deserve a piano treatment at some point.
  19. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I kind of picture it in two possible ways.

1) A lot of brass, kind of like the Duel of the Fates, with the Force theme and the Imperial March duelling it out the way that the French National Anthem and the Czarist National Anthem have it out in the 1812 overture. I'm not sure how that would work, but you know John. He'd find a beyond-genius way as always.
    2) Something more subdued. Remember in ROTJ, the duel in the Emperor's throne room was a lot of men's chorus obligatos, full-chorus howling (during the last part of the duel) and subdued brass in the background. I think it would have something along those lines, though I could see something in the idea of having it somewhat like the Zam Wessel music. It will be very driven, kind of a crazed heartbeat percussion, building to a climax where the divisions between Light- and Dark-Side music come to their separation.
  20. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    //begins chanting... "choral Force Theme"...

Actually, that would be so cool, I'm sure it could fit in someplace other than "The Duel"...

Man, I can't wait! :D
  21. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    //begins chanting... "Choral Vader's Theme"
  22. skyy38 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm working on this idea now and so far I've managed to combine "The Force" theme and "Across the Stars"....
    Of course any work I do on this is going to be strictly speculative,but hey,it's good exercise..
  23. CyHunter Jedi Knight

I don't think it should be subdued like the RotJ battle, because that was very brooding, dark, etc.

The prequel battles are much more kinetic, and this battle should be the most kinetic of them all...and I'm expecting very loud, crazy, shreiking, hateful, violent, doom music like Duel of the Fates, but only beyond...
  24. skyy38 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Oh no,don't make anything about the Anakin/Ben duel "subdued"-It should be all over the place right up to the point that it *isn't*...

I wonder what musical sound/motif would be killer for hot lava?

GK edit: Do not presume to tell me what is and what is not a spoiler. If you have any questions, please send me a PM.
  25. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Well, when I was out running yesterday, I was thinking about the choral Force Theme mentioned in this thread. Of course, JW originally dubbed that Obi-Wan's or "Ben's Theme" in 1977.

Then I wondered about a choral version of Yoda's Theme -- that might work at a particularly poignant moment.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.