What Should The Music Be Like For The Anakin/Obi-Wan Duel In EpIII?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Tyrian, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    a choral version of Yoda's Theme

sorry....but the idea of that made me laugh :). (no pun intended). Personally I think Yoda's Theme should be left to the band.

Still chanting "Choral Darth Vader's Theme"
  2. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  3. Blast Jedi Knight

star 3
    Still chanting "Choral Darth Vader's Theme"

I think that would be more diffucult to do then "Yoda's Theme" but none the less I would like to see much more choral work in III and during the duel.
  4. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    Where is the pun?

You didn't see any pun? Good.

Like I said, I think a nice, low, slow, quiet, but creepy version of Vader's Theme should be sung by the male basses when Anakin is lying in the lava with Palpatine walking over
  5. DarthShona Force Ghost

star 5
    I haven't read all the pages of this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been posted already.

I'd LOVE to hear "Duel of the Fates." Maybe not have it play throughout the duel, but just here and there. I also think a bit of "The Imperial March" should blare when Anakin hits the lava, just for a touch of foreshadowing.

EDIT: Does anybody know a good website where you can download Star Wars mp3s??
  6. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Requesting or offering copyrighted material for illegal sharing is a no-no on these boards.

Thank you.
  7. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Wow, watching the Clone Wars cartoon debut tonight makes me hungry for this scene and new score!
  8. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    I hope DOTF theme is used for that battle. It would make everyone think back to ep 1 and see how their relationship had come full circle. I think when Anakin loses a light theme of Imperial March could play, and then it could roar into the theme that played in AOTC when Anakin leaves the homestead to find his mother.
  9. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I wonder what kind of changes in instrumentation/arrangement might used in this scene.

Think about it. This duel is most certainly going to have a much different emotional feel to it that the Theed hangar duel. Using DOTF "as is" may not quite do this scene justice.
  10. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, I agree. I can certainly see it being used, and I think it should be partially, but in a different way. I want DotF/Force Theme/Imperial March all in there, as I think they all belong. However I think it would be interesting to see what could be changed with DotF. Can you really make it more intense? Do you want to? Or do you just want a different feel?

-sj loves kevin spacey
  11. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    Thinking of the beginning of The Duel, I think this'll play out well...The beginning of the Duel IMO should be very thematic, for example when *spoiled people should know what goes here* I'd like a nice loud version of the Emperor's Theme by the choir and low brass coming in occasionally *no percussion at all unless said otherwise*. Now, when Obi-Wan's looking at *the spoiled know what goes here*, a gentle short ATS much like the beginning of the conert version. Then Obi-Wan turns on his lightsaber, suddenly the music changes to loud again but now the Force Theme comes in by (almost) the entire band (strings stay quiet). Anakin sees Obi-Wan, now the 1st 12 notes of the Emperor's Theme is sung quietly (but slowly building). When Anakin turns his on, the next 12 notes are played louder (and slowly building still). But here's the catch. Y'know the kinda fast rhythm played alone for about 10 seconds at the beginning of Darth Vader's Theme? That plays in the backround of the Emperor's Theme now, all through those 12 notes. Then The Duel begins

GOD that took a while.......[face_tired]
  12. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    Oh yeah, I forgot, add a timpani roll when they start charging at each other :p
  13. CountDoosheee Jedi Knight

star 3
    At the start of the saber battle in ANH (right after you see the blast doors slam shut and Obi-Wan appears) there's this quiet drum thing going on.

I think they should use that again. It's simply one of my favourite musical cues in Star Wars - so quiet and understated if you think of the significance. But... damn, it's cool.
  14. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Or perhaps the drum could come after the duel...

...and be like the ellipses at the end and beginning of these two lines.

:)
  15. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    Another one of my ideas posted in the EIII score *spoilers allowed* thread...

Them: So, those of you who saw the leaked footage...imagine a version of Duel of the Fates playing while a crazed Anakin and desperate Obi-Wan battle on *planet name*

Me: Now, I'm not saying that's a bad idea...but I think DotF should be cut down in The Duel more than people think it should. IMO, it should ONLY be played in the real intense parts of the duel. Though what I DO want to see out of DotF is a variation of it dubbed "The Great Duel" (You can listen to it in this song, at 4:41 - 5:44) at THE most intense part of The Duel. The rest of the score for The Duel should be mostly original, dark, dramatic, and have a little touch that can rival "Final Duel" in...erm....goodness :p. A powerful Emperor's Theme when *insert scene here*, some of The Force Theme when Obi tries to turn Anakin and when he starts getting the upper hand in The Duel, even more Darth Vader's Theme in between places, and a Sith Chant when Anakin hits the lava. That's how I envision it.

If anyone has ideas or comments for either of my ideas, I'd love to hear them :)
  16. USTommie Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've come up with my own idea for how I hope this scene plays out, and I think there are some good ideas here. I think a choral version of the Force theme that segues into the DOTF and finally Vader's Theme would be very cool, signifying Anakin's temporary hesitation and ultimate embracing of the Dark Side. I think the climactic music when Luke attacks Vader in ROTJ shouldn't make an appearance, but I think it would be very effective for the music to echo it, to show the similarities between Anakin and Luke, with one ultimately being stronger willed and saving the weaker one.
    I was just listening to "Ben's Death/TIE Fighter Attack", and I think a somber playing of The Force theme would be very appropriate when Ben realizes he must kill Anakin in order to save him. Again it would come full circle when it pops up in ANH after Ben's death.
    As far as the moment before Anakin falls into the lava, I think a remorseful playing of Anakin's theme would be effective. I really hope Anakin realizes his mistake and tries to repent at the last minute as he's dangling from the face of the cliff, with Ben trying to save his apprentice's life. I'm not sure if this would work, as it's up to GL to decide if we should feel remorse for Anakin as he tries to repent after it's too late.
    I think it would be great to hear somber, toned-down music at the end of The Duel as Anakin begs Ben to save him from certain death. Once Anakin falls, I think maybe a closeup of Anakin's face changing from remorse and fear to anger (at Ben) would go along perfectly with Anakin/The Force theme crescendoing and quickly quieting rendition of the Imperial March. Also, I think the last thing Ben should see is Anakin's black glove-covered robotic arm, maybe a hint of the Darth Vader that is to come.

What do you think?
  17. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    I was just listening to "Ben's Death/TIE Fighter Attack", and I think a somber playing of The Force theme would be very appropriate when Ben realizes he must kill Anakin in order to save him

//*clapclapclapclapclapclapclap :)
  18. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Just a friendly reminder that no Ep 3 spoilers are allowed in here. We're getting closer to the release of the film so this will become more and more important. I don't know if the lava comment was spoiler or not but it's close enough that if it is just your speculation, you might want to note that in your post.

19. USTommie Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry about that - my last post was strictly speculation on my part. I try not to look at any possible spoilers, but next time I'll make sure I point out it's my opinion on things. Thanks for the heads up.
  20. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    well...this post is meaningless now...
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    There is nothing to disagree with. I was just posting a friendly reminder of the spoiler policy, which is clearly defined and not up for debate.

22. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    There is nothing to disagree with. I was just posting a friendly reminder of the spoiler policy, which is clearly defined and not up for debate.

[Austin Powers] Oh...sorry [/Austin Powers], I misunderstood. Wasn't trying to lead this into debate but just thinking...
  23. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    I think it's about time to get back on topic...

Does anyone think that Anakin's Theme serously could fit in? I personally don't think it could (or would be a good idea IMHO) but I wanna hear what everyone else thinks
  24. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Hmm. Perhaps in a moment of reconsideration, a poignant statement on Anakin's theme on a horn (French horn?) might work. I've always been of the mind that the Force Theme will work better in this case.

*cough* Choral Force Theme *cough*

:)
  25. --Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Master

star 3
    I've always been of the mind that the Force Theme will work better in this case

I'm with you with The Force Theme being better, but one of my biggest thoughts is, would he even reconsider in the 1st place? Muchless have time to with all that fighting. I was under the impression that Anakin would have his mind made by The Duel.

Now if Obi-Wan is just trying to talk him back, that's another story
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.