main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What Side of the Star Wars universe do you prefer?: Mystical or Ordinary Everyday?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The One Above All, Sep 1, 2017.

?

What aspect do you prefer?

1. Mystical, i.e. Jedi, Sith, the Force

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Ordinary Everyday, i.e. Smugglers, the criminal underworld, bounty hunters.

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    There's a lot of aspects to the Star Wars universe, but generally, it tends to be classified into two sides:

1) The 'mystical', side which deals with stuff like the Force, force ghosts, the Netherworld, the Whills, etc.

2) The 'ordinary everyday', side which explores things through the perspectives of normal schmucks, such as Han Solo or Boba Fett, who are just trying to get by in life and often getting their hands dirty in doing so. This side also tends to involve characters such as Jabba the Hutt, and organisations like Black Sun.

So, like the poll says, which side do you prefer? I'm interested to hear people's thoughts.

Steve McGarrett likes this.
  2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I picked "ordinary everyday" side.

The keyword is prefer. I actually like the ordinary (OE) with splashes of mystical (force). I couldn't get rid of one or the other. It wouldn't be Star Wars then. But when the mystical starts to outweigh the "real world feel" (at least for SciFi Fantasy), it tends to lose me.

I'm not a big fan of when it starts to go from Force use to a more magic, like the Mother Talzin stuff. Probably the best way to differentiate it is Film Force feels like telekinesis area whereas Nightsisters starts to feel more like generic wizardry.

Even lightsaber duels are essentially just high tech sword fighting. Space battles are WW2 dogfights and naval engagements. Even Anakin's fall had more to do with relationships than outright magic.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I picked "ordinary everyday"

I like 95% of that mixed in with 5% of the mystical...to keep it that way - mystical! :cool:

Snafu55 and Jester J Binks like this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Whatever **** gives us crap like "PEW PEW BOOM AHHH WHONGGGGG WHONGGGG PTCHEW PTCHEW BPHHFAFFAAAAHHHHHGHH" and all that

DarthAnakin96, Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It's hard for me to break it down into such categories. Part of why I like the PT so much is how it portrayed the Jedi and Jedi life in day to day terms. So I guess I like how the mystical side is setup for the payoff that is "ordinary" human drama.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  6. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    My favorite Star Wars stories will always be:
    A) Stormtrooper level
    B) Politics
    C) Admirals and naval conflict
    D) The occasional group of loveable misfits running around the galaxy

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Mystical, by far. Higher risk of messing it up, but higher reward.

The "ordinary," ESPECIALLY underworld/smuggler/bounty-hunter stuff, is the more boring part for me.

I like the political stuff too.

Deliveranze likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, the OT did an outstanding job of mixing in just the right amount of mysticism into everyday mundane stuff. Without both of them, it wouldn't be SW.

Steve McGarrett, Dandelo and Blue 5 like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, the OT did an outstanding job of mixing in just the right amount of mysticism into everyday mundane stuff. Without both of them, it wouldn't be SW.

In fact, I believe this so strongly I said it twice, apparently.

10. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    The Mystical and Political side of things are very interesting. I do enjoy some regular characters as well, but new information on the Force and how new regimes came into power is what I enjoy the most

Ghost, Deliveranze and Lulu Mars like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is it just me that fell that calling "smugglers, the criminal underworld, bounty hunters" Ordinary Everyday is somehow wrong?

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I prefer a healthy mix, but I do find the mystical aspect of it more interesting. At the end of the day, I feel that it lies closer to the heart of the Saga than the underworld part does.
    As several posters have said, though, Star Wars needs both to be Star Wars.

13. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Ordinary Everyday

Mainly picked this for the fact I love the criminal side of Star Wars particularly when it comes to bounty hunters.

14. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    A mix of both. That's way the original movie is the better one.

Snafu55 likes this.
  15. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    More mystical. I prefer the more fantastic elements of SW as it helps me keep it apart from other space operas.

Politics are great too. I like knowing what is going on in the galaxy.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ghost like this.
  16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Ordinary is something I do not put on the foreground. Reason being is because that factor of the universe isn't very unique feeling. Might as well be watching Guardians Of The Galaxy if that's the case.

DBPirate and Deliveranze like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A mix of both. Reading Jedi only or smuggler only is fine but like mixture.
    Zayne Carrick and Gryph, Quinlan Vos and Villie, Anakin Solo and Vua Rapuung, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Hondo, Vader and Wrenga Jixton, Vader and Aphra, All of those relationships were amazing.

18. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Mystical. The Force, Vader, Sith, Jedi, all of that is specific to Star Wars.

19. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Going by the poll only, mystical by a long shot. Stories that are mainly focusing on the Jedi/Sith/Force are much more likely to hold my attention as opposed to a bounty hunter-centric story. I've always found the smuggler and underworld part of Star Wars the least interesting but that's just my opinion.

Now if we were to say that the politics and the war elements (like the clones and the rebels) of Star Wars also fit into the ordinary everyday category, then I think it would give the mystical side some stiff competition. A healthy balance between the above and the mystical side is a winning combination.

20. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    Interesting question.

I like the ordinary everyday. I like a touch of mystical too but I've always like the fact that Luke (certainly pre-prophecy and all that stuff) basically saved the galaxy through demonstration of human, rather than superhuman abilities.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Both are good

22. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    I enjoyed watching so called ordinary people, such as Han Solo , begin to touch the better aspects of his nature without the loss of who he was as a person. He was able to learn from the mystical while keeping his feet firmly in the everyday world. Instead of putting on robes and renouncing his old life he incorporated what he was exposed to so that his life and the life of those around him would be better.

Sarge and Martoto77 like this.
  23. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I prefer the mystical side. The stories that feature the Jedi and the Sith are generally the most interesting.