main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Single Movie Was The Greatest Collective Disappointment ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue_Jedi33, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm referring to being a Character, having an arc, having some development.

I think there was only one scene of that in TDK. While BB and TDKR were built around his journey.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    No, Batman is Bruce Wayne.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im the ******* batman

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    tdkr would have been so much better if they had had bale batman growl-lisp that

i mean, i assume it would be. i didnt see it

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

I knew it!!!!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Another major weakness of the film. They tried to set up moral conflicts or social commentary, and then proceeded to completely undermine them. For instance, all the angst about whether Batman's surveillance camera phone thing was "too much power for one man." Everyone agrees that it is. . .and then they proceed to use it anyway. Which, apparently, everyone's okay with, because he's just doing it this one time? How is that logically consistent? Isn't it either wrong or right to do regardless of how many times it happens?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Was Spiderman 2 the one with the gangly teenager-esque impotency allegory? It was, wasn't it?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd say Revolutions more than Reloaded. Reloaded had its problems, but I still held out hope that they would get things right for the finale. Walking out of Revolutions almost wanted to cry, the original had been so awesoem, couldn't believe the Wachowskis could fail so utterly and completely in the sequels.
    I would say that's the worst movie I've ever seen (having foregone the crapfest that is Battlefield Earth). But, since I hadn't been expecting much to begin with, it wasn't a disappointment.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I thought it was only limited to music. I stand corrected.

As for the Prequels, AOTC is clearly the worst of the 3, but I'd say ROTS was the biggest disappointment. I held out hope that Lucas would pull some magic out of the bag in the end, instead we had a mess of a plot; the revelation that Anakin's fall was not due to greed or lust for power but simple, inconceivable gullibility; and the final half hour in which George tries to tie up the dozens of loose ends his interns had to point out to him. "The light saber, George, Obi Wan has to take the light saber with him!"

EDIT: If I had worshiped and adored The Godfather Parts 1 and 2 as much as I do now when Part 3 came out, I'd probably have gone straight home from the theater, run a hot bath and opened my veins like Pantangeli.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The end of ROTS was a let-down I felt, the rest overall was decent enough.

I didn't like the Vader creation scene (or that he was Vader before the suit, the suit defines the death of his former self & his transformation into someone different) or the birth of the twins bit (Leia remembering her mother who died when she was 30 seconds old? WTF?). Plus Yoda's hiding away felt rather cowardly and out of character, it all seemed rather rushed which was a shame since ROTS seemed the most OT-like of the PT movies.

I don't get the hate for AOTC, it's by no means a great movie but it has far more going for it than TPM which had like 3 interesting parts and was otherwise tedium & racist aliens.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Uhhhh when there's no other way to find the Joker and to save two boats filled with people from exploding? Yes I think you're allowed to bend the rules a bit. Also, literally two people knew about the sonar thing, Lucius and Batman, so I don't know where "all the angst" comes from or that "everyone" agrees it's too much power.. Did you also forget Lucius said "I'll help you this one time but consider this my resignation"? He's obviously opposed to it but will help Batman in a desperate time.

You're a gem, Wocky. :)

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Given that Batman is supposed to be the World's Greatest Detective, why not have him figure out with his smarts where Joker was located instead of resorting to some morally suspect piece of tech to do it?

But it's not that much of an issue, TDK is still awesome. Plots holes are common in such films, most are easily overlooked during the enjoyment of the movie.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I think that's just an indication of the logical knots Lucas has tied himself into since photoshopping HC into the jedi ghost scene at the end of ROTJ.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Which therefore makes even less sense. Anakin shown in ROTJ was meant to symbolise his good side, Darth Vader in his iconic suit represents his dark side. To have him be Darth Vader and still be Hayden then contradicts what Lucas tried to indicate in ROTJ. And that's overlooking Anakin lying on an operating table after Mustafar and not needing a respirator, shouldn't he be struggling to breathe without the helmet? That's the whole point of the suit. I wonder why Lucas bothered having continuity people, he clearly never listened to any of them.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    But that is the problem with having HC "symbolize" the "good" side. Regardless of whether he's called Anakin or Darth Vader, he's the guy who slaughters the sandpeople, he's the one who kills an unarmed Count Dooku, he's the one who slaughters both the younglings and the trade federation people, and then chokes his wife, the person who he's supposedly doing all this for, to within an inch of her life. This concept of them being somehow separate, in any sense, is silly. They always were, are and will be the same person.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It can be argued that way, of course then you get the whole "does Anakin killing the Emperor redeem his years of murder" thing which makes the whole ending feel redundant. Darth Vader did those things, Anakin did not. If he did, he could never be redeemed or be one with the Force.

17. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I don't know if any of you went to see War of the Worlds (the one with Keanu Reeves) to the theater. I don't know what anyone was expecting of that movie but I'm pretty sure everyone knew it would suck. Anyway I did not want to see it but a friend (a different guy this time) was absolutely adamant that he wanted to watch it so I went along with the group, at times suggesting different movies in the hopes that we would get to see something else. Anyway, we watched the whole thing and sure enough, it was terrible. What I was not prepared to see was how the entire audience walked out of the theater: in absolute silence, with their heads hanging in shame, and in no mood to even complain about how bad it was. It was as if everybody knew they had wasted 2 hours of their life in the worst possible way and tacitly agreed to never speak of it again.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    ^That was The Day The Earth Stood Still. :p

19. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    You're right. But War of the Worlds also sucked.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Only because it didn't have Keanu Reeves.

21. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Star Trek: Generations is also a pretty disappointing movie, seeing how it sets up the meeting of Captain James Tiberius Kirk and Captain Picard. But, instead of them having some epic battle where they team up with each other to defeat one of Earth's greatest enemies we get a plot where they fight some old British dude no one has heard of before. Furthermore, they kill Kirk by dropping a bridge on him seriously a bridge takes out the greatest hero and captain in Starfleet history, what the hell.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But they went after Sauron! At least, I think that's what that old fellow kept calling himself.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  23. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    The Clone Wars movie. I was 14 and I had just begun to like Star Wars. I was under the impression that all the actors were reprising their roles. James Arnold Taylor was good(I became a fan of him), but I could tell the difference. It was cheesy and I detested Ahsoka.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Super Mario Bros. The Movie yet. Wasn't that all hyped up back in '93?

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ROTS was a huge disappointment. I refused to pay full price for it in the theater after getting the spoilers, and I only saw it in the $1.50 theater after getting my arm twisted.