Amph What Single Movie Was The Greatest Collective Disappointment ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue_Jedi33, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with you in part, but apart from the second half of Alien 3, Resurrection was like a cartoon with a few cool special effects. The best of them being the laser-activated whisky cube and the underwater sequence. The first half of Alien 3 was pretty good...it established a genuinely good character with the doctor, but after his departure the rest of the film fell apart. I think it had the potential to be great which is why it became such a disappointment.
  2. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Resurrection is definitely better than the horrid AVP movies.
    SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
  4. BootlegVader Force Ghost

star 4
    David, the android, and Charlize Theron's character were somewhat likable, but yeah the rest I just wanted to die horrible deaths.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Didn't most of them do just that in the movie?

The tar chamber with the alien snake-thing was cool, and one of them coming back as some freakish zombie was different.
    Last edited by SithLordDarthRichie, Apr 30, 2013
  6. BootlegVader Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, but I am guessing we weren't supposed to be wishing that on them since the waking moment we meet them.
    SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost

star 4
    That's part of what made it interesting...for me at least. I dunno. I liked it, but I was hoping for more. By "more" I mean fewer implausible Alienverse inconsistencies. Does that make sense?
  8. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I thought the idea was there were more aliens down there and they got Christie even though we didn't see it?
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I liked the feeling I had while watching AVP when there were suddenly 3 Predators in play. And, then... one stubbed his toe and died while the other locked himself in a broom closet.
    rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    AVP 2 was downright unpleasant.
  11. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    yeah I realize that, but he was skilled enough to make it if he gave an effort imo..
  12. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Batman Returns to me was way too silly and started the downfall of the Batman franchise. From Christopher Walken's character to Pfeiffer's Catwoman to Devito's Penguin, they were all immensely stupid.
  13. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I kind of feel that way about Batman Forever. Val Kilmer had Batman down, but was horrible at the Bruce Wayne side of the coin(seriously Schumacker could have had a perfect Bruce/Batman if he had just somehow combined Clooney as Bruce and just let Kilmer do Batman). The other performances were passable (Riddler is probably the only big - screen role I can stand to see Jim Carrey in these days, and while Tommy Lee Jones does nothing wrong acting wise as Two - Face, I'll always wonder what would have happened if Billy Dee Williams had been allowed to be Two - Face as Burton had originally planned), but the plot was rather aimless and committed the cardinal sin of the '89 film (much like Jack's Joker should not have been revealed as the man who murdered the Waynes, Two - Face shouldn't have been revealed to be the mastermind behind the demise of Dick's parents).

So maybe it's not much of a surprise that I actually like Batman and Robin. After Batman Forever, and subsequently hearing Arnold had been (mis)cast as Mr. Freeze, my bar was sufficently lowered enough to where I could mildly enjoy it.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Comics character tend to be pretty stupid, a great majority of them of them wear capes and/or coloured spandex.

Batman Forever had some things going for it (like Kilmer & Gough) but it just ended up being too camp and OTT to fit in with the darker tone Burton and DC in general had set for Batman in recent years at that point. Schumacher seemed to think the best thing for Batman to do was go back to the 60s, I'm amazed there weren't coloured words like "KAPOW!" on the screen every time Batman hit people.
    Batman & Robin went even further with that, to the point that it was no longer fun enough to mostly overlook it was just terrible and embarrassing.