main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Single Movie Was The Greatest Collective Disappointment ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue_Jedi33, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with you in part, but apart from the second half of Alien 3, Resurrection was like a cartoon with a few cool special effects. The best of them being the laser-activated whisky cube and the underwater sequence. The first half of Alien 3 was pretty good...it established a genuinely good character with the doctor, but after his departure the rest of the film fell apart. I think it had the potential to be great which is why it became such a disappointment.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Resurrection is definitely better than the horrid AVP movies.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Wholeheartedly agreed.

4. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    David, the android, and Charlize Theron's character were somewhat likable, but yeah the rest I just wanted to die horrible deaths.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Didn't most of them do just that in the movie?

The tar chamber with the alien snake-thing was cool, and one of them coming back as some freakish zombie was different.

6. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Yeah, but I am guessing we weren't supposed to be wishing that on them since the waking moment we meet them.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  7. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    That's part of what made it interesting...for me at least. I dunno. I liked it, but I was hoping for more. By "more" I mean fewer implausible Alienverse inconsistencies. Does that make sense?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought the idea was there were more aliens down there and they got Christie even though we didn't see it?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I liked the feeling I had while watching AVP when there were suddenly 3 Predators in play. And, then... one stubbed his toe and died while the other locked himself in a broom closet.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    AVP 2 was downright unpleasant.

11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    yeah I realize that, but he was skilled enough to make it if he gave an effort imo..

12. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Batman Returns to me was way too silly and started the downfall of the Batman franchise. From Christopher Walken's character to Pfeiffer's Catwoman to Devito's Penguin, they were all immensely stupid.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I kind of feel that way about Batman Forever. Val Kilmer had Batman down, but was horrible at the Bruce Wayne side of the coin(seriously Schumacker could have had a perfect Bruce/Batman if he had just somehow combined Clooney as Bruce and just let Kilmer do Batman). The other performances were passable (Riddler is probably the only big - screen role I can stand to see Jim Carrey in these days, and while Tommy Lee Jones does nothing wrong acting wise as Two - Face, I'll always wonder what would have happened if Billy Dee Williams had been allowed to be Two - Face as Burton had originally planned), but the plot was rather aimless and committed the cardinal sin of the '89 film (much like Jack's Joker should not have been revealed as the man who murdered the Waynes, Two - Face shouldn't have been revealed to be the mastermind behind the demise of Dick's parents).

So maybe it's not much of a surprise that I actually like Batman and Robin. After Batman Forever, and subsequently hearing Arnold had been (mis)cast as Mr. Freeze, my bar was sufficently lowered enough to where I could mildly enjoy it.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Comics character tend to be pretty stupid, a great majority of them of them wear capes and/or coloured spandex.

Batman Forever had some things going for it (like Kilmer & Gough) but it just ended up being too camp and OTT to fit in with the darker tone Burton and DC in general had set for Batman in recent years at that point. Schumacher seemed to think the best thing for Batman to do was go back to the 60s, I'm amazed there weren't coloured words like "KAPOW!" on the screen every time Batman hit people.
    Batman & Robin went even further with that, to the point that it was no longer fun enough to mostly overlook it was just terrible and embarrassing.