main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What single shot will best utilize the 3D format in the Classic Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    What shot will really give you that "WOW" Factor? I know these movies were not designed for 3D, and the recent quicky upgrades have been less than ideal... but they have been talking about doing this for years and I am glad to see they will be taking another two years (at least) to do it right.

My vote for coolest shot is Vader with his lighsaber extended to Luke lying on his back just before Luke (spoiler alert) loses his hand.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd say any shot during the space battle over Endor!

As far as "people" shots though, I'd say Luke's duel with Darth Vader in the carbon freeze chamber on Bespin. Imagine the steam and everything in 3D...

3. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Not one of them would. No part of the OT should be rendered in 3D. It will look immensely tacky.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    The POV diving into the Death Star trench.

5. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    The thing with the OT is you have a lot of special effect shots that when rendered in 3D, would make the effects and matte lines very obvious. Not saying it isn't doable, but a lot of special effects cleanup and potentially redoing more special effects to make the 3D work better might be necessary for this to look good.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    It would probably be less effort to just remake the movies from scratch than do the amount of re-working it would take to justify the 3D presentation.

7. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I think the best 3D is not when you have a WOW factor moment but subtle things like in Avatar where they have the curved display screens or the falling ash: things that make it feel like a real environment rather than something being pointed directly at the screen as if to say "It's in 3D!!"

So for me the kind of things I'm looking forward to is seeing holograms, screen displays, the holo advertisements on Coruscant in AOTC etc

8. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    I can't imagine wanting to see any shot from the OT in 3D. Upconversion of 2D films only makes them look far worse. George is inflicting a travesty on these vintage films equal to Ted Turner's attempts at colorization of black-and-white movies--particularly ironic, since Lucas himself condemned Turner in that case.

Though, if the OT had been made in 3D from the beginning, I think it might've been cool to see 3D lightsaber duels.

9. Avii

Avii Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2010
    I am still up in the air bout the whole 3d and Star Wars. I will go check it out but I know I will always prefer the "2d" format. Though to answer the question I believe the battle of Hoth would be amazing. Just seeing those At-At's coming toward you. *shivers* Awesome!

10. Admiral_Ozzel

Admiral_Ozzel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 7, 2003
    I have full confidence in Lucas. I am 100% looking forward to 3D! As far as what part(s)? Hmmm....there are too many great scenes to choose from....Death Star trench run from ANH, battle of Hoth ESB, and speeder bike chase from ROTJ. Scenes that focus on a charecter.... final duel between Luke, Vader, and Palpatine in ROTJ, Luke fighting the Tusken raider in ANH, and any scene from Jabba's palace. Just to name a few.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    On the one hand, I'm a little hesitant about taking older movies and trying to make them 3D... but on the other hand, this could turn out to be incredibly awesome. I'm definitely planning on seeing them in 3D whenever that may be (assuming this does indeed turn out, which is likely), but from there... if it doesn't end up looking so great, then so what? We'll always have the current versions to fall back on and enjoy :)

12. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    You mean, like we have the non-anamorphic, shockingly poor quality GOUT DVD release? Or like the 2004 SE DVD transfer with the horribly misjudged color timing? Or the 1997 SE, which currently isn't on DVD at all?

So far Lucas has paid scant attention to maintaining the "original versions" of his films, or even keeping them available on current video formats. I don't know why people expect him to act differently in regard to the 2D cuts of SW, once the 3D releases get going.

Granted, there is the upcoming Blu-Ray release next year, which will be 2D. Hopefully that will fix the 2004 SE color timing issues, but even so, it still won't have the OOT or the 1997 SE.....

13. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I love the evolution of complaints from my fellow Star Wars Fans. Long have I heard the complaints of not getting access to The original cuts... but this is the first time I've heard someone complain that they won't have access to the 1997 Special Editions. (why did they have to upgrade "classic" '97 cgi Jabba for the DVD release?????!?!!!?? George Lucas is Raping My Early Adulthood!!!) And after the Blu-ray release, the complaints that we no longer have acces to Standard Deffinition DVD (why is Luke's light saber blue instead of that washed out lime color???!!!????! George Lucas is Raping my Middle Years!!!!!!) The 3D versions (Why is Sy Snootles mouth nose so damn long????!?!!? George Lucas is raping me late into my life!!!!!!!)

14. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    Most filmmakers understand that, when they re-edit one of their films, they should make both the original cut and any further re-cuts available on home video. Look at the Blade Runner DVD - you have the theatrical version, the initial Director's Cut, the definitive Final Cut, and even the initial workprint version. THAT is the principle upon which Lucas should treat home video releases of Star Wars.

R...J Edit: Unnecessary.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    [face_laugh]

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

This. I've been imagining it since the announcement came out.

Although any of the various POV shots might be cool-Luke's dive under the AT-AT in TESB should be pretty cool as well, and the speeder bike chase on Endor had a fair number of POV shots as well.

Ohhh! Almost forgot: the over-the-shoulder shot from Luke's POV up at Vader in TESB. He'll be practically coming off the screen.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I really hope this works, from a technical perspective, and for the OT too. As someone said, we don't want the process of putting this into 3D to expose matte lines, etc. At least they are apparently taking the time to do it right. The flip side to that, of course, is that the first installment (TPM) is still about two years away... and apparently each episode will come out one year after the prior installment. So it will be 2017 when ROTJ comes out!

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "You are beaten!"
    I bet I'll wave my hand in front of my nose, trying to get Vader's lightsaber out of there.

Or maybe not.

19. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    If it's well done I think the opening of ep IV will be amazing. The Tantive IV coming right at the screen! The underneath view of the Star Destroyer! The blaster's firing right at the screen!!!!

Like I said, if it's well done.

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    [image=http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr278/gors1_01/R1/carrie-fisher-return-ofthe-jedi-de.jpg]

21. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    ^^^

What he said :D

22. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    Totally agree with this. Also, the asteroid field would be amazing to see.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah, but all those ships and stuff will look pretty cool too, I guess. ;)

24. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    The ESB duel between vader and luke in 3D will be absolutely unbelievable!

3D will do wonderful things for scenes like the cantina or pretty much ANY time darth vaders on the screen.

The asteroid chase in ESB, both death star battles, the battle of hoth, the speeder bike chase and the montoge of planets celebrating at the end of ROTJ will all look jaw droopingly amazing.

Also has anyone thought about this...

The 3D could do wonders for otherwise bland or not so popular scenes like the duel between obi-wan and vader in ANH, in 2D its kind of slow and different but in 3D vader and obi-wan will look like giant warriors clashing in front of us and (at long last) making the lightsabers themselves feel like more of a big special effect/eye candy **JUST** like it was for people in 1977. Even simple environments we don't think twice about will look beautiful and exotic like cloud city. The swamp on degobah will feel alive. The award ceremony at the end of ANH will be almost shockingly beautiful.

I think the 3D will make the OT feel simply more impressive and grand.

25. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I may just die of happiness.[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.