main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Music and Fanfic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Welcome to the Music and FanFic Discussion Thread!

Discussions can include what type of music you listen to when writing or working on fanfic, youtube videos of examples, lists of favorite songs and/or bands etc. You can discuss what music you think your characters might listen to or if you are feeling really creative, you could share a composed piece of music that goes along with a fanfic.

If it has to do with music and fanfic, real world or a GFFA, this is the thread for you!

Mav Edit: Editing in above for larger discussion.

So guys, what songs do you listen to when you're writing a FF? I listen always to Bee Gees. Their song just fits to every kind of FF that I write! Romance, drama, humor.....you name it! Bee Gees fits to everything!

2. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I prefer instrumental pieces myself, I find lyrics can get distracting. I'm getting a fair bit of mileage out of the soundtrack for Gundam Unicorn at the moment, especially for any kind of action scene.

Darth_Furio , gaarastar58 and Kahara like this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When I'm writing, I'm not listening to anything, unless I have the radio on. When I'm typing, it depends on the scene, but for the most part, anything relatively upbeat, as the tempo helps me type. If I get a good cadence, I can get the words flowing quicker. If I lose my cadence, I stumble over the keys.

Kahara likes this.
  4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I can't listen and write at the same time. Even when I'm writing songfics. :(

Obi-Wan Catnobi and Kahara like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I listen to love ballads and/or smooth jazz - since I love gooifying mush :D

Darth_Furio and Kahara like this.
  6. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'll listen to anything. Though it does depend somewhat on what I'm writing.

Say a battle scene...something more fast-paced.

Or if its a romance scene it should be more slow.

Just depends I guess.:p

EDIT: Okay...maybe not anything considering I can't stand rap.:p

Kahara likes this.
  7. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    Instrumentals mainly, but I occasionally listen to U2, Matchbox Twenty, the Beatles, Train, or Lifehouse when I write or edit fics.

Kahara likes this.
  8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    No music for me when I'm writing. It's too distracting. CNN or C-Span in the background isn't.

Kahara likes this.
  9. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    It depends, most the time I listen to music that just fits the mood of the story and my mood.. Instrumental, pop,rock, Jazz, just what ever works at the time.

Sometimes music helps me get back into what I'm writing, when I'm burned out.

Kahara likes this.
  10. taryn_kenobi

taryn_kenobi Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2012
    i cant listen to music it'll distract me

Kahara likes this.
  11. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    Usually there's one song that inspires a fanfic, and I'll listen to that song over and over until I've finished the fic. I've written to anything from Rihanna to Rasputina to The Band Perry, depending on my mood.

Kahara and Takianna like this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll sometimes listen to music to inspire fics, and I have a playlist of songs that I feel work best for certain fics, but I won't actually listen to the music when I'm writing. When I'm typing, I'm never listening to those songs or that playlist. I listen to dance music and anything with a driving beat, simply to get myself to type faster.

Perhaps I should listen to some music... I'm way behind on typing...

On another note... Do certain characters you write have certain songs that you feel pertain best to them?

Kahara likes this.
  13. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    When I'm inspired by a song, I wear it out listening to it, trying to get every feeling while I'm writing. I also have a couple of playlists that I use when I'm looking to truck through writing. I don't get too distracted because I write all day long and our office is a rather busy place. So you just get used to it.

Kahara likes this.
  14. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    With A Father's Heart, a LOT of Lacuna Coil, Apocalyptica, We Are The Fallen, 12 Stones, etc. A Life Altered has been a lot of Usher, Cascada, Lupe Fiasco, Nickelback, Sean Kingston, the stuff I'd listen to while working out/whatever pops up on Pandora. If one song inspires a chapter, I will listen to that song over and over again, until everyone in the house is ready to kill me if I play it one more time.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  15. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I get confused when I listen to music with lyrics while I write. At times I catch myself typing the lyrics I hear instead of focusing on the story. It's irritating.
    I only listen to classical music or soundtracks. What I really, really, REALLY love is "Two Steps From Hell". Beyond Awesome.

Force Smuggler and Kahara like this.
  16. CheckSix

CheckSix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    I like to listen to soundtrack composers. I compose scenes in my head first -- usually in the car or when I'm out hiking/walking, and I always have music playing. Georges Delerue was a French soundtrack composer, now deceased, who wrote beautifully lyrical tunes (Agnes of God, Platoon, Joe Versus the Volcano, A Summer Story and too many to name). One of my favorite pieces of called Journey Through Heaven, and while I've never used it for a scene, it always help clear my head and put me in the mindset for writing.

James Horner has also been one of my go-to guys (even when he got stuck in the Titanic rut). His death was truly a terrible loss in so many ways. Right now, I'm working on a scene for when Rex and Cody went through ARC training together, and I'm using the end credits to the Rocketeer. Brilliant piece of work, one of Horner's best. What a talent (him, not me).

Howard Shore. Wojciech Kilar. Lots of foreign music from India, Egypt, Peru . . . anything that sounds exotic, given that it's SW. John Debney's Passion of the Christ soundtrack is so intense and other-worldly. Love using it for all kinds of scenes.

Kahara, leiamoody and Findswoman like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I can listen to anything except actual words, when my brain is also writing words.

Usually silence, but if I am alone in the house, writing at night, I might pop on some trance music from 2008 or 2015, something that will last a while, and there are Youtube compilations, or DJ sets that last over an hour.

Last couple months, I have been selecting Dave Pearce' Trance Albums 2008, CD2 (second CD).

Kahara, leiamoody and CheckSix like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I listen to all genres of music, though I'm not big on metal and related stuff, neither am I into most of current mainstream.

Pasting from the other thread...

Suggestions, as in, music to listen...currently, a lot of Enrico Ruggeri, Emma Marrone, David Bowie's last album, Fanfarlo, E-rotic, Ace of Base, Fennesz, Rammstein, Soluna Samay and Trickfinger. About as diverse as what I'm writing.

Kahara, leiamoody and CheckSix like this.
  19. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I generally don't listen to music while writing a whole lot, but I have been known to put on an old Art Bell show for background noise. And sometimes get scared out of my wits...

Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  20. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When I'm inspired, I can listen to anything quietly. Otherwise, it's almost entirely soundtrack or classical, and it's usually the same song on repeat.
    John Williams, Murray Gold, Michael Price/David Arnold, Mozart, and Chopin tend to be my go to composers.

Kahara and leiamoody like this.
  21. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It depends on the environmental aesthetic I'm going for...generally if I'm using music to inspire me during the writing process, I'm using that music to set a mood, not inspire the plot or the characters (usually). When it comes to writing about matters of the Force or the afterlife, my go to artist has always been Brian Eno or Harold Budd. (Seriously, Budd's The Pavilion of Dreams is the unofficial soundtrack for my GFFA afterlife, while Eno and Budd's The Plateaux of Mirrors is the music that represents my idea of a dreamscape). Writing about my entertainment planet, Lacace, requires a lot of listening to 80's dance tracks.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Love both of them!

Now, that reminded me...can anybody write to Glass?

23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I never tried it. Could be interesting.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    When I write while listening to music it's random or I want to listen to that album or track.

Most of the time though it is the Star Wars soundtracks (I need to seriously make time to put the rest of them back into iTunes).

Kahara likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've drawn to a playlist of Phillip Glass.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.