Discussion What songs do you listen to when you're writing a FF?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi Master Kenobiwan, Oct 14, 2012.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost

star 5
    So guys, what songs do you listen to when you're writing a FF? I listen always to Bee Gees. Their song just fits to every kind of FF that I write! Romance, drama, humor.....you name it! Bee Gees fits to everything!
  2. Draconarius Force Ghost

star 4
    I prefer instrumental pieces myself, I find lyrics can get distracting. I'm getting a fair bit of mileage out of the soundtrack for Gundam Unicorn at the moment, especially for any kind of action scene.
  3. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    When I'm writing, I'm not listening to anything, unless I have the radio on. When I'm typing, it depends on the scene, but for the most part, anything relatively upbeat, as the tempo helps me type. If I get a good cadence, I can get the words flowing quicker. If I lose my cadence, I stumble over the keys.
  4. lazykbys_left Jedi Master

star 4
    I can't listen and write at the same time. Even when I'm writing songfics. :(
  5. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    I listen to love ballads and/or smooth jazz - since I love gooifying mush :D
  6. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    I'll listen to anything. Though it does depend somewhat on what I'm writing.

Say a battle scene...something more fast-paced.

Or if its a romance scene it should be more slow.

Just depends I guess.:p

EDIT: Okay...maybe not anything considering I can't stand rap.:p
    Last edited by Skywalker_T-65, Oct 16, 2012
  7. The Corellian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Instrumentals mainly, but I occasionally listen to U2, Matchbox Twenty, the Beatles, Train, or Lifehouse when I write or edit fics.
  8. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    No music for me when I'm writing. It's too distracting. CNN or C-Span in the background isn't.
    Last edited by ardavenport, Oct 28, 2012
  9. Anime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It depends, most the time I listen to music that just fits the mood of the story and my mood.. Instrumental, pop,rock, Jazz, just what ever works at the time.

Sometimes music helps me get back into what I'm writing, when I'm burned out.
  10. taryn_kenobi Jedi Padawan

i cant listen to music it'll distract me
  11. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    Usually there's one song that inspires a fanfic, and I'll listen to that song over and over until I've finished the fic. I've written to anything from Rihanna to Rasputina to The Band Perry, depending on my mood.
    Takianna likes this.
  12. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll sometimes listen to music to inspire fics, and I have a playlist of songs that I feel work best for certain fics, but I won't actually listen to the music when I'm writing. When I'm typing, I'm never listening to those songs or that playlist. I listen to dance music and anything with a driving beat, simply to get myself to type faster.

Perhaps I should listen to some music... I'm way behind on typing...

On another note... Do certain characters you write have certain songs that you feel pertain best to them?
    Last edited by TrakNar, Nov 1, 2012
  13. Takianna Force Ghost

star 3
    When I'm inspired by a song, I wear it out listening to it, trying to get every feeling while I'm writing. I also have a couple of playlists that I use when I'm looking to truck through writing. I don't get too distracted because I write all day long and our office is a rather busy place. So you just get used to it.
  14. EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    With A Father's Heart, a LOT of Lacuna Coil, Apocalyptica, We Are The Fallen, 12 Stones, etc. A Life Altered has been a lot of Usher, Cascada, Lupe Fiasco, Nickelback, Sean Kingston, the stuff I'd listen to while working out/whatever pops up on Pandora. If one song inspires a chapter, I will listen to that song over and over again, until everyone in the house is ready to kill me if I play it one more time.
  15. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    I get confused when I listen to music with lyrics while I write. At times I catch myself typing the lyrics I hear instead of focusing on the story. It's irritating.
    I only listen to classical music or soundtracks. What I really, really, REALLY love is "Two Steps From Hell". Beyond Awesome.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade