main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What Star Trek (DVD, series) set would be good to start ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaronNoir, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BaronNoir

BaronNoir Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, it says it. I want to discover Star Trek, and I wonder which series would be good to begin (the less cheesy possible ones)

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Come on, you have to start with the cheese and begin with the original 60's series.

3. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Start with TOS Season 1. And it ain't too cheesy. That comes later.

4. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    they all have cheese, but that is part of the appeal. start with tos as suggested above or tng.

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yes, start at the beginning. Original series.

6. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    I started late, with Voyager. I suggest TNG though. Never too late to join the anti-Wesley Crusher league. I don't know what people keep gushing about DS9 for though. It was so dull.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    DS9 was not dull once the Dominion War started.

8. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    People keep saying that. I couldn't make it that far.

9. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    I would say The Next Generation, since that's what I started with. But it couldn't hurt to start with The Original Series.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You don't miss a whole hell of a lot of you start with restart with S3 (which is where the Dominion War arc starts to take form) or even S4 (which is where Worf joins the show), and continue on from there.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Next Generation for me. Loved the Borg and Q episodes

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Although I think TNG is the best, if you want to get to know Star Trek you should start at the beginning and watch TOS. Only then will all the references and cameos in the other ST series make sense and be better.

14. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    by my recollection ds9 really gets going with season 4. that's a lot of sub-par material to wade through, but in the end, i felt it was worth it.

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Start with TNG, for sure. But it can't hurt to watch the TOS movies (excluding 1 and 5) too. I'm only 9 episodes in, but DS9 is brilliant too. But since a lot of its plotlines and characters stem from TNG, you definitely need to watch TNG before DS9.

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    After we discovered that all of the Start Trek series are available through Amazon Prime, we decided to watch them straight through by stardate in the Prime (original) universe, starting with Enterprise. We're now up to TNG Season 4 (just finished Galaxy's Child and Night Terrors), and once we hit Season 6 we'll start alternating between TNG and DS9, and then we'll alternate between DS9 and Voyager according to the stardates given in each episode (where possible). We might make exceptions for 2-parters and time travel episodes as we go along, but we haven't yet. (So, for example, we held of on Enterprise's "In a Mirror Darkly" until after TOS's "The Tholian Web", because of when the Defiant got thrown back in time.)

The original plan was to finish everything before the next film comes out, but we might have to push back to its DVD release instead.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Eww, are you one of those 'must watch SW ep 1 through ep 6' people?

Watch in the order of release, for Goodness' sake.

18. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    She'd already seen TOS and TNG (albeit a long time ago), and we watched most of DS9 from DVDs I had borrowed from a friend. But, she was curious about Enterprise (as a Scott Bakula fan), so after we started with that, we decided to use it as the starting point.

It gives a different perspective from the release order. As a result, I have a greater appreciation for how they did try to work various things into Enterprise.

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I recently finished watching all of TNG in a row, and when it came time for it, I considered alternating between TNG and DS9, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. So I finished TNG, then started DS9 from the beginning.

20. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    This site has a nice timeline that helps. It's a lot easier when you are using Amazon Prime through a PS3. It keeps track for each show of what the next episode is, and you don't need to swap DVDs.

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, I used Netflix to watch them, so switching DVDs wasn't an issue at all. I just didn't want to divert my attention between two shows at the same time.

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    What I expect will be interesting is to see how the various crossovers between series fit in the overall timeline.

For example, First Contact had the Defiant "Adrift but salvageable", on stardate 50893.5, and a short time later we had "Call to Arms" where they used the Defiant to escape the station after mining the wormhole. Similarly, Worf's appearance in Insurrection was at almost the exact same time as "It's Only a Paper Moon".

23. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    why isn't this thread called "where to start trek?"

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  24. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    TOS and DS9 are the only ones that are worth a damn.

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    How can you say that? ST:NG was fantastic. I was such a Picard fangirl. While Voyager never caught my fancy, I watched most of it as ex was a big fan at the time.