What Star Wars Character is over-rated?

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by fakename99, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    If you want good Qui Gon stuff, Sha, read the Jedi Apprentice books. Oh, sure, they are technically kids books, but no one is going to tell me that they aren't chock full of fun and innuendo for grown-ups too. He rocks!! (Except for a while when he's really mean to Obi-Wan) For that matter, the books explain why Obi-Wan's kind of a stick in the mud.

EU for kids. Yeah, that's my speed.

I've had all day to think about it, and I'm going to say Anakin is the most over-rated character. (Sorry, Liz.) I know, he does a lot, and he's important, but that's why I'm so disappointed. I was really looking forward to finding out what drove him to go so far into the Dark Side. I was expecting a really interesting tragic downfall kind of tale. So far, though, all I'm seeing in the films is a whiny brat. Very disappointing indeed.
  2. fakename99 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree. We need to see some bad stuff happen to Anakin in Ep. III. I mean like he catches Padme in bed with Jar-Jar type of stuff.
  3. stateless Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehehehe, I was thinking Anakin too. But I couldn't come up with more of a reason than the fact that I'm sick of him and that he annoys me. :D

Another one that's kinda overrated is Darth Maul. Now don't get me wrong. I like Maul. He is evil, and I appreciate evil. But they made him out be THE ultimate badass, right up there with Vader, but he isn't even in league with Vader as far as I'm concerned. He barely had any lines and didn't do much except be Sidious' lapdog.
  4. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Boba Fett! what is so great about him?? He took Han away from Leia! grrr.

I don't think Leia is overrated, she is so cool! except for a few lines in Jedi...
  5. DarthDrew Jedi Master

star 4
    Every time I post this, I know it's going to be quite controversial, but it's my opinion and I gotta say it.

Darth Maul

Ever time I've seen him or read about him, he's been clumsy and arrogant. He almost dies twice in Shadow Hunter, for goodness sake! How clumsy can you get? One time was at the hands of a senior Padawan! If that girl could get the better of him, anybody could. And arrogant? WOW is he arrogant! He's so full of himself that he can't see that others out there could have some talents that could defeat him.

Personally, I think he was only in Ep I to give it a boost for the kiddies. Here's this guy with all these cool tattoos and horns and a double bladed lightsaber... "Coooollll!" Yeah, right! Read up on him. He's a real oaf compared to Vader and Dooku.
  6. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    George Lucas is the most over=rated figure in the Star Wars universe.

I would say Lando, but no one really "rates" him anyway, My next pick would have been Anakin as the most overrated, except any problem with so central a figure falls squarely on George Lucas.

I will always love Lucas for what he gave us 25 years ago, back when he was a guy who wanted to bring the cheesy sci-fi serials of yesteryear to a new audience. To the extent there was a "vision," it was about fast cars and princesses and fighter planes and swordfights. He was clearly able to get more out of his actors, who flow and live and communicate with the audience in a way the prequel characters cannot.

Portman? Hayden? McGregor? These are excellent award-winning actors who are magically transformed by the New George Lucas into pieces of cardboard.

Lucas Has Becometh A Bad God. He will license his creation to anyone and will not keep order, so the EU is actually the Expanded Multiverse of conflicting timelines and character development.

If the characters can be seen as parts of Lucas' personality, let's look at who's NOT in the new films: a Han Solo figure. And who was Han Solo?

The guy who didn't take things so seriously and just wanted to have fun making a fast buck.

Thoughts?

7. stateless Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! You know, I fall under the "Lucas is NOT a God" category myself. I mean, he made some great movies and gave us the glory that is the OT. But he has made so many bad decisions that I just can't elevate him to God status.
  8. strangebehaviour Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    nope he is NOT a god. but there would be no Star Wars without him...
  9. fakename99 Jedi Master

star 4
    Who really is a god? Maybe Chuck Barris?

Back to the topic, George Lucas is not the same film maker he was when he made the first Star Wars movie. He is older and has kids; this has changed his view of the world. Good or bad, this changes him as a film maker. No director out there today would be able to go back to one of their hits of 20 years ago and make the same type of film. Steven Spielberg has said that if he made ?Close Encounters of the Third Kind? today that he would change things. Do I believe that George Lucas is god? No, I only believe in one God. However, I do believe that he is a gifted talented man.
  10. Ken_the_CHOD Jedi Knight

star 1
    First, by "God," I of course mean a master of a universe like Tolkien or Strasinski from B5, not the actual Gods who control the world from their seats on tall mountains.

I have advanced this theory before: the worst thing that happened to GL was not merely getting older (which is supposed to improve our talents) but in severing his relationship with his wife Marcia Lucas, the film editor who did at least 2 and possibly all 3 of the original trilogy. More importantly, I guess that she was the one person who could say "no" to him and make him reconsider certain approaches.

When you do the algebra to see what's not in the PT, I guess that she provided the humor and the human touches that are missing. And probably kept GL's head from swelling to Death Star proportions, and getting him to loosen up.

I miss her, and her contributions to the story are not just underrated, they are virtually unknown.
  11. AT-AT_Commander Force Ghost

star 4
    after this weekend, im going to say Yaddle.
  12. stateless Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! Yeah, where did that come from?!
  13. Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    What about Plo Kloon?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.