main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Star Wars could have been...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by HellasLEAF-Jedi, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    I just read the book 'The Making of Star Wars' by Rinzler. Fantastic and crazy revelations throughout. In the book there are so many revelations about the evolution of Star wars from the casting to the story and beyond. Some things I knew about, some I definitely did not.

Luke as a girl? Starkiller as the main name changed only weeks before? Wookies on the planet Endor. Mark Hamill almost dismissed as Luke, Kurt Russell as Luke. R2 and CPO as people, the entire story made with little people? on and on.

It's amazing how it all panned out, but what could have been?

What is the one that really blows your mind that could have shaped Star Wars differently.

2. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit. (That's nothing compared to a thing with Jacen, Jaina, and Ben singing "What Would Anakin Solo Do?")

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't think Lucas knew what he had in the early stages of the story. I remember hearing rumors that Palpatine was initally a pawn of a greater conspriacy

4. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    That's in the novelization. Also, Palpatine wasn't the only Emperor. The greater conspiracy? Darth Vader.

Also, the novelization says that Obi-Wan couldn't hide the truth from Luke. Then he goes on to tell him the infamous lie.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Actually the name wasn't changed until halfway through the shoot, I'd always heard that it was changed about a day or two before, but Rinzler confirms that they did start shooting the film with Mark Hamill as Luke Starkiller. Luke's full name is only used once - "I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you" - & they hadn't shot that scene by the time the name change occurred.

The other might-have-been that's always seemed strange is that Obi-Wan was meant to survive the Death Star rescue & remain until the end of the film - again, something that wasn't changed until the shoot was well underway. Very hard to imagine the film without him dying.

6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    George Lucas always keeps changing Star Wars, Plus he had to many scrpits after Return of the Jedi.

Edit: I think he even might do a Special Edtion Prequel trilogy too.

7. Darth_Unicorn

Darth_Unicorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2009
    I could deal with Kurt Russel as Luke. He's pretty badass.

8. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Great, I can just see people complaining "Obi-Wan sliced first!"

9. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    The novelization has Owen as Obi-Wan's brother. That would have been weird if they had kept that.

10. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I know and he might even do a scene were Vader might say Yessssssssss[face_laugh] just a joke.

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I know that there were a lot of things that could have been different, but some of them really would have distracted from the main plot points or send the plot in a whole different direction than what it turned out to be.

12. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Don't forget if Anakin refers to "Natalie".

Of course, Boba flirting with Jabba's dancers is, continuity-wise, the worst edit of the SE.

What would be the worst in the prequels that you can imagine, continuity-wise?

13. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I know that Star wars could of been more then six movies but Like I said Lucas almost perfers the EU, Plus He had so many ideas for the first three Star Wars Movies. He even planned for a Two-set Sequel trilogy. But He Likes to make his world Smaller.

14. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Then you'd love Al Pacino or Christopher Walken as Han. :D ;)

15. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I also Wonder if Vader was not Orginally Lukes Father during there early Ideas at First.

16. jawbox

jawbox Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2008
    I would much rather Wookies be on Endor than Ewoks.

17. Mighty_Ewok

Mighty_Ewok Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    I love Star wars. :)

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    He wasn't. In fact he was just a simple Imperial general without any Force powers at first, I believe.

19. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    You've gotta be careful with these statements, though, since not only do characters evolve throughout the early drafts, but names shuffle between the archetypes. So, for example, I've seen some people claim that Luke was an old General in early drafts, but it's more accurate to say that Obi-Wan bore the name "Luke Skywalker" in some drafts instead.

21. DarthIktomi

May 11, 2009
    Originally, Tarkin's name was "Darth Vader". Obi-Wan's was "Luke Skywalker". And Luke's was "Anakin Starkiller"; in one draft, Anakin Starkiller is a girl. Starkiller also had a cyborg father, and a twin brother named Deak.

Oh, Lucas originally wanted Leia to be Japanese. He also toyed with the idea of Toshiro Mifume playing Obi-Wan; the name "Obi-Wan Kenobi" is actually a holdover of this idea.

22. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I suppose that this is what GL is referring to when he says that he wrote a draft where Luke and Leia were sort of both in it and Vader was there as their father.

Truths - they depend on points of view
    /LM

23. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    if you go to the jedi bendu script site you can find all the drafts. t he one i like is the starkiller one when vader is not luke's father and is more evil. and palpatine was a pawn of emperor valorum iirc alderaan was cloud city. and ogana minor was blown up. anakin was 300 years old.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The story went through many iterations with different script versions, but personally I kind of have a hard time seeing how someone could prefer a different version than the one we actually ended up seeing brought to fruition. [face_thinking]

25. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    actually i like the regular version better. must more realistic. oh and i forgot to mention chewie was an 8 foot baboon in starkiller and han was a little overweight and had a beard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.