What SW films will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. -Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Knight

I think that TESB and even ANH have standed the test of time, while for many people ROTJ has not made it. Movies that tend to disregard caracter development tend to fade with time. What do you think that the PT movies will fare in this regard (excluding still the ep 3) within 20 years from now?
    will the gungans be as villified as the ewoks? and jar jar the worst yet caracter in SW?

Make your comments
  2. ozzelwasframed Jedi Knight

star 1
    I like to think of the films on a broader scale, and not so much on the individual characters. I mean, if you take the entire saga and try to imagine what people might think of it 20 years from now, I believe most people will regard all six films as classics, and will be particularly fond of the OT. Sure, every character we've seen so far has either been memorable or forgettable, but the environments in which we see these characters has always presented a unique blend of the ancient and advanced technology. I think that makes for a very fascinating -- and timeless -- concept, and will establish Lucas as one of the most brilliant story-tellers in cinema long after he's gone.
  3. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    I think all teh Star Wars films have and will stand teh test of time. Just look at ANH.
  4. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All of them.
    They're all set in a different galaxy, at no specific point in time. In the future, they won't look anywhere as dated as films about real-life events.
  5. Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Knight

star 2
    They all stand the test of time. The effects of the OT may now be looking quite ragged, primitive and unrealistic, but their stories are holding up very well. Empire has probably aged the least of the OT, ANH the most. I actually think the PT will tend to get better with age. I watch The Phantom Menace once a year on May 19, and it only gets better each time I see it.

-JDR.

6. ferelwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with Emperor_Palpatine. I think ANH and ESB are timeless movies, but ROTJ tried to hard to be "cute" and sacrificed a lot of character development. Also, nothing I've seen from the PT so far has struck me as "timeless". In a decade or so, the cgi will look incredibly dated and there when viewed as STORIES, the PT's come up well short compared to the OT IMO.
  7. TheFury Jedi Knight

star 3
    All of them. It's a timeless story and is designed to last and appeal to generation after generation.
  8. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Pretty much everyone is familiar with ANH and ESB. Their stories have outlasted their FX. ROTJ has been somewhat forgotten, and the PT will no doubt die with time.
  9. Bjork Jedi Master

star 4
    All things will die in the end, it's our pop-culture. But disregarding that piece of sadistic information: all the movies will - it's a timeless Saga. :)

-Bjork.
  10. Padawan915 Force Ghost

star 6
    My personal feeling is that all of them will last the effects of time. ANH and ESB so far have done so, but in time all six of the movies (after Ep 3) is released will last the test of time. They all have that magical feeling to them, and they will all draw us into the galaxy so far, far away.
  11. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    All of them.

...except the ewok films....
  12. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    It's in it's 26th year. I'd safely say that it will live on. ;)

Sara [face_love]
  13. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    RotJ forgotten?
    What planet do you people live on?
    OK OK, but seriously, how can you say that?
    People are just going to stop after ESB?
    Well, I certainly don't care what happens to Han and that whole Luke/Vader thing. Nope. Not gonna watch it. RotJ would live on if only for the fact that it completes the story.
    In fact, the only place I see RotJ bashed is on these boards and the net in places.
    In a round about way, this thread could be seen as bashing RotJ and the PT while once again praising the first two...
  14. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8
    I agree with most of you. All six films will stand the test of time. Future generations will look back on the Star Wars Saga fondly and enjoy the wonderful journey and adventure that is Star Wars.
  15. Valkor Jedi Master

star 4
    I actually had a post on why I feel the OT will stand the test of time, live on if you will, while the PT will fade away....in fact it already has. It's only been 4 years since TPM, and nobody (except people on these boards obviously) ever talks about TPM. AOTC was infinitely better than TPM, but I just don't think any of the prequels will stand the test of time.

Help me Episode III, you're my only hope. *Crosses fingers*
  16. Jedi_Learner Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    All the Star Wars movies will stand the test of time. They will be regarded as one.
  17. evanchester Jedi Knight

star 2
    I still hear people (who are not SW geeks like me) talk about TPM.
  18. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, I think the 6 films will become one story: Star Wars! Star Wars will stand the test of time.

Far from The Phnatom Menace being forgotten, I feel it's beginning to be increasingly accepted. How often do you see people here saying TPM isn't as bad as they first thought it was? The same will happen with Attack of the Clones (which was better recieved anyway) And I suspect Episode III will follow the same pattern. Remember, during the 80's the OT films were never really thought of as being Classics, it was the re-release of the OT Special Edition's that gave people the general consensus that these 3 films were Classics. Why? My guess is that many of the kids of the 70's were now the film critics of the 90's. The S/E got a MUCH better Critical reception than the original release of the OT. Unfortunatly the general public ARE influnced to some degree by Critics, and this is why the S/E Re-release was the beginning of the OT becoming the Classics they are regarded as today. I think the same will happen with the PT in 25 years time, when todays kids become the critics of the time.

Star Wars will become one large overall epic story, and will be remembered and loved by many generations, well after George Lucas has dies. Infact, after Lucas' death, Star Wars will become EVEN MORE mythic and legendary. I think Star Wars will become to movies, what The Lord of the Rings are to books. :)
  19. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Far from The Phantom Menace being forgotten, I feel it's beginning to be increasingly accepted.

I agree. It's not a drastic change...but even some long-term anti-TPM posters had to admit that they now appreciated TPM more, especially after the release of AOTC helped to highlight and compare certain themes in both the OT and PT.

When I saw TPM earlier on this year, before watching AOTC in the cinema for the first time...it was odd, a feeling kind of like nostalgia. Like old comfortable slippers or something, lol. The same feeling I have with re-watching the OT, I now felt for TPM. I'd always loved the film (right from its release I was a big fan) but now it feels like part of the OT more than the current trilogy :) I'm sure I'll get this feeling with AOTC in a year or so as well, I love that film now but I know I'll enjoy it even more over time.

I'm definitely looking forward to the whole 6-part story, and when it'll be regarded as one whole epic saga. It's highly ambitious, when you think about it, and its popularity and success is incredible.
  20. Naccha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think ANH and ESB are timeless movies, but ROTJ tried to hard to be "cute" and sacrificed a lot of character development.

I disagree, especially with Luke's character in ROTJ. I think Luke really matured in ROTJ and climaxed in the ending when Vader did a turn around. I didn't like the ewoks so much and besides rescuing Han on Tatooine, Leia and Han's characters really didn't grow much. It still was a great movie and an integral part of the OT.

I'm not so sure about the PT, I'm hoping GL comes through with ep. III. That has real potential because the story is to be very dark. There should be alot of conflict and drama. I hope he has the guts to show some of the slaughter of the Jedi, not that I want blood, but I really want to see some devastation. It will make the OT all that more powerful, to show truly what the rebels were up against and to bring even more light on the fact that Luke is the last hope for the Jedi.
  21. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    The OT and the PT will stand the test of time, while bashers, well.....
  22. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "RotJ forgotten?
    What planet do you people live on?
    OK OK, but seriously, how can you say that?
    People are just going to stop after ESB?
    Well, I certainly don't care what happens to Han and that whole Luke/Vader thing. Nope. Not gonna watch it. RotJ would live on if only for the fact that it completes the story."

It's not that people are going to stop watching after ESB. It's what people actually remember. I think more people are familiar with the events that happend in ANH and ESB, then what happend in ROTJ and the PT. Most of the references made in today's pop culture come from the first two movies. More people are aware that Vader is Luke's father, than Leia is Luke's sister. Just my observation.
  23. topgoalscorer_no11 Force Ghost

star 3
    I know plenty of people who aren't major Star Wars fans who count RotJ as their favourite of the saga.

In future, when VHS has faded away, the saga will probably only be available as a 6 disk box set- so the prequels will never be forgotten.

In terms of film history, the only film that will be treated as a classic will be the original Star Wars. That was the film that changed the industry, for better or worse. ESB is a great film, but only in the context of the saga. No film historian will lose any sleep over it unfortunately.

Star Wars as the phenomenon it is now will fade away within ten years and never come back.

But all the films will be Christmas TV favorites for the forseeable future.
  24. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I know plenty of people who aren't major Star Wars fans who count RotJ as their favourite of the saga.

In future, when VHS has faded away, the saga will probably only be available as a 6 disk box set- so the prequels will never be forgotten.
    In terms of film history, the only film that will be treated as a classic will be the original Star Wars. That was the film that changed the industry, for better or worse. ESB is a great film, but only in the context of the saga...

I agree, outside the fan community, a lot of people I know don't remember a whole lot about ESB, except the "I am your father line", and they couldn't tell you which actual movie it came from ESB or ROTJ...so aside from us, from what I've seen most people remember ANH the most. A lot of people on the outside that I've spoken with consider them all "Star Wars", therefore when the six disc set is together it will be the saga that stands the test of time.
  25. Quietforce Jedi Knight

star 3
    A lot of people on the outside that I've spoken with consider them all "Star Wars", therefore when the six disc set is together it will be the saga that stands the test of time.

Exactly. I think this is a silly question. Once the saga is finished, future generations will hardly distinguish between the individual episodes. It's the entire story that will stand the test of time. Not parts of it.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.