main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What SW films will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by -Emperor_Palpatine-, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quietforce

Quietforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    Most of the references made in today's pop culture come from the first two movies. More people are aware that Vader is Luke's father, than Leia is Luke's sister. Just my observation.

What about Jabba the Hutt and Ewoks? ;)

2. -Emperor_Palpatine-

-Emperor_Palpatine- Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2003
    People here tend to say that the saga as a whole will stand the test of time. Perhabs, but the fact is that the PT will only survive because it is attached to the OT. When they start to think about the movies themselves, they will ALWAYS debate and argue what SW movie is the best. My guess is that the overall winner will be ANH or TESB, never any of the PT.

3. Quietforce

Quietforce Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    My guess is that the overall winner will be ANH or TESB, never any of the PT.

You might be surprised... I know many people these days who prefer the PT to the OT...

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    the PT will only survive because it is attached to the OT

You're several years too premature to be dropping predictions like that. The PT hasn't even been completed yet for one thing, and the OT took a fair while to gain their full reputation as well. They all got their fair amount of trashing from the media at the time, especially ESB and ROTJ.

5. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    One of the things that I look at when I'm in another persons house is their video/DVD collection. Recently I've noticed that everyone has a copy of both TPM and AOTC, whilst others will have a version of some kind of the OT.

In an odd twisted way, I think that the PT's going to be just as well remembered as the OT, that the films will stand the test of time, probably AOTC more than TPM.

It ultimately depends on the length of that time - by all accounts, kids nowadays are preferring the asthetic quality of the new films to that of the old ones. When the fans who grew up with the OT die (let that be many years from now, preferably a full century), what then will happen?

6. Farrokh1

Farrokh1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2002
    Personally, I can't believe the ROTJ bashing that goes on on these boards. I would have ROTJ anyday over ANY of the PT. At least the Ewoks had personality and charm, unlike the Jedi in the PT.

Also, why do people think AOTC is this vast improvement over TPM? Don't get me wrong, I like both PT films but I think they both suffer from the same things. In fact AOTC has more things that bug me than TPM. The editing of certain scenes for one thing, especially the light saber fights at the end.

I REALLY hope that EpIII is great, but every time I start to feel that it is going to be the best SW film ever, I remember what Lucas did to the ROTJ SE(especially the Little Shop of Horrors Sarlacc!)and I get a bad feeling.
    In fact, whereas I always watch the SE versions of ANH and ESB(if they got rid of the Han shooting first and the crappy CG Jabba, both those SE would be perfect!), I never, ever, watch the SE version of ROTJ! I just can't stand it.

Oh and as for the standing the test of time I think the PT SFX will date even faster than the OT. Lucas is pushing ILM TOO far. The CG clonetroopers are spectacular FX but in 10, maybe even 5 years, they are gonna look very bad and people will just ask, "why didn't he just use men in suits?"
    I just HOPE that Lucas is gonna make EpIII great and I think he shouldn't be afraid to make it long as as he needs and not push the FX too far too fast. Then maybe the PT will be as great as the OT and stand the test of time, like the OT already has.

Cheers

Farrokh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.