main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What SW Music Makes Us Cry?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthIshtar, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I can remember being a missionary and my friend sent me some clips of the AOTC soundtrack as a present. I sat there, listening to them and I started having very weird reactions. Certain points made me burst into tears. Namely, the moment the Skywalker/Force theme turns into Duel of the Fates on Tatooine; the moment that the showdown music turns into the Imperial March and then into the love theme. Of course, I had no idea what the plot was, so I didn't know what was going on on the screen, but there are some times when the power of the music just makes you do things like that. Another is when Anakin dies and the Luke and Leia theme.

Anyone else have that sort of thing?

GK edit: Just changed the thread title from all caps. :)

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    sometimes in Victory Celebration and Across the Stars

3. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I cry sometimes because It frustrates me that i cant compose like that. but for acctual music, everything! then again any music can make me cry if its good...

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Yer all big girls' blouses! :p

//listens to The Throne Room
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, I'm not sure...

Along with the movie, "Darth Vader's Death" sure can do it (it's happened a few times) if I'm in a sad mood and so forth, but without the movie along with the music... It's hard.

The closest thing is when Anakin leaves his mom in TPM and there's that whole amazing 2 minute sequence or so when we get all those great themes... Anakin's, Shmi's, and then the amazing swelling Force Theme... Great stuff.

As for non-SW, "Breaking of the Fellowship" can do it without a doubt (once again, it's not like it happens all the time, but at times, I'm in such a mood...). The cue when Sam is sinking into the water and it's dark and sad and then, suddenly you hear Frodo's hand plunge into the water, and then he grabs Sam... The music pauses, then Sam grabs back and the strings swell into an INCREDIBLY sad/happy/bittersweet/amazing cue (along with the movie, I cry at this part nearly every time... :( It's the only movie that does that to me)... Ahhh, I love that track so incredibly much. Also, soon after that, when the flute (?) comes in and plays the Hobbit Theme so wonderfully on an almost solo... Wow. :( Also, I can't resist a big grin creeping onto my face with the cue after Aragorn says "Let us hunt some Orc," and then Gimli goes "Grryaah!"... The Hobbit Theme comes back in on the strings again but along with tom-toms in the background (I LOVE tomtoms :) )... Ah well, I'm rambling now. :p

Anyways... Oh nevermind. :p

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The first few times I watched ROTJ, "The Death Of Yoda" got me.

when Anakin leaves his mom in TPM

Yeah, and this is the other one that got me the first few times I saw TPM. The last bit of "Anakin Is Free" (though the entire track is amazing...plus it leads into "Darth Maul And Qui-Gon Meet", which is one of my favorite scenes. I love Qui-Gon's Theme, I kinda hope we get some kinda reprise of it in Ep. III.

Yeah, the more I listen to "The Breaking Of The Fellowship", the more I love it. It is wrenching for me at times, other times uplifting. It's hard to explain.

And actually, the "Moth Theme" (or whatever we are calling it now) gets to me during the Last March of the Ents...

7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "And actually, the "Moth Theme" (or whatever we are calling it now) gets to me during the Last March of the Ents..."

Yeah, I heard some crazy filmmaker kid liked it so much that he used it in one of his shorts...

:p

P.S. Oh, and about the Breaking of the Fellowship... I totally know what you mean! Isn't it weird? Sometimes so uplifting, at others it makes me feel very content and thoughtful, and at others very sad... An amazing track, I tell you. :)

8. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    You put a moth in your shorts? ?[face_plain]

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    [face_laugh]

It's so... Tingly... [face_shocked]

10. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
  11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Way to derail a perfectly good thread, you and me bozos (like that grammmar there? I think ol' Hawk Bat's rubbing off on me). :p

Aren't you supposed to NOT let this stuff happen? LOL!

12. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    //looks at poop brown color on user name

D'oh!

i now but then maybe you and me both were kinda saying stuff htat was about this thread oh did i mention that the ALL CAPS stuff is not neccessery so when is somebody else posting here its really cool

13. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    The films dub during The Battle of Geonosis.

Ha-ha-ha. Sorry.

14. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    I haven't cried yet, but Yoda's death music has the potential, when Anakin leaves his Mum, and the music (force theme variation) during Vader's funeral scene.

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "and the music (force theme variation) during Vader's funeral scene."

Actually, that's a variation on the Imperial March, not the Force Theme...

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And sithman is wrong!!

It's a fantastic variation of the Force Theme played on brass

There's a thread on it here!

:D

(Are you thinking of the death of Vader, and not the funeral?)

17. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, Sithy is referring to Vader's death, which I recall someone had confused in an earlier thread.

The track Light Of The Force actually has two versions of this played back-to-back. I believe the first part is not used in the film, but the second statement of the Force Theme is. I know that brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw ROTJ.

See, it's scenes and score like that which made ROTJ my favorite film when it came out... but that debate is for another thread.

18. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Funeral... Death... Same thing, right? :p

Anyways, whoops! I (obviously) thought he was referring to Darth Vader's Death with Luke on the Death Star.

Although, I just imagined Darth Vader's funeral with blaring Imperial March as the camera pans up to the sky and... Wow, lol, quite different. :D

Anyways, you guys were right... I was confused and too stupid to comprehend/read the guy's post correctly. :D

19. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The sadder part of Anakin leaving his mom is, for me, when he turns and runs back to his mom, not when he finally leaves and the Force theme plays along....

And since you started it, I'll just agree with Breaking of the Fellowship. Especially those descriptions.

20. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Mostly what you people have said so far, but I'd also like to mention Yoda and the Younglings... when the holographic galactic map expands out.

21. jedi25

jedi25 Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2003
    the force theme that is played while luke
    is looking at the twin suns set because he
    fells all alone and that strikes a cord
    with me to sometimes.And to the celebration
    theme at the end of(EPISODE I)...........

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I like
    those tracks
    very much
    too. By
    the way,
    the first
    one is
    called Binary
    Sunset, and
    the second
    is Augie's
    Great Municipal
    Band. Hope
    this helps!

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Augie's Great Municipal Band makes you cry?

Yeah, chanting little childeren make me cry too... :confused:

24. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    A few months after AOTC was out, I went back to watch ROTJ now we were 5 films in to the Saga.

I was definitely misting up this time; I'd always been moved, but having got to know Anakin a lot more with TPM and AOTC kinda drove home how much of his life had been wasted.

The bittersweet versions of the Imperial March used during Vader's death scene, the swelling Force rendition during the Funeral Pyre, and the soulful Special Edition ending music, all combine to very powerful effect for me. Even more so now than before.

25. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    ANH - Perhaps when Obi-Wan enters the scene. Those few cords always reminded me of a time long forgotten in the SW Universe. Then it gets really sad when the force theme joins it.

TESB - Han and Leias theme playing at the end. I guess since Han is frozen it makes the mood feel right when listening to it.

ROTJ - Luke and Leias theme playing when she realizes she's his sister.

TPM - There's a few parts of the music when Anakin leaves his mother that are sad. Not the force theme but some other notes before it.

AOTC - Anakins theme playing at the end of the credits. Another reminder of times long gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.