main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What system has the best lineup of games this year

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Chaotic_Jedi, Jan 30, 2003.

?

What system has the best lineup of games this year

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Playstation 2

11.8%
  2. GameCube

43.0%
  3. X-Box

44.1%
  4. GameBoy Advanced

1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Yep, clever marketing and the socalled 'casual' gamer keeps Sony on top.

For all those slating the cube check out cube.ign.com for the best for this year's lineup (Part 2, insiders only).

2. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    I'm not an insider. Can you post some of the better games on the list here.

3. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Neither am I. And everyone knows Nintendo's own first and second party line-up.

4. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    p.n.03
    viewtiful joe
    sc2
    Ridge Racer (r. racing evolution)
    Baten Kaitos
    Tales of Symphonie (Phantasia)
    Virtua Fighter Quest
    Sonic Adventure 3
    SC:Ghost
    Factor 5 Secret project
    The Hobbit
    WWE WrestleMania X9
    Enter the Matrix

Quite a few of the titles that IGN listed aren't even exclusives. Out of this batch I'm only interested in Viewtiful Joe. I'm going to hold off on it though, to see when Capcom announces it on Xbox. They said that out of the Capcom five only the resident Evil game is exclusive. So I'll hold off before buying it. The Xbox will be getting the best version of "Enter The Matrix" with online support. And I'll grab SC:Ghost for my Xbox. The way I see it is that the Xbox gets the best version with multiplatform games, so why settle for the weaker version.

I think the previous article had these titles listed.

Zelda
    Animal Crossing 2
    F-Zero
    Mario 128
    Pokemon
    Hal project
    Mario Kart
    Pikmin 2
    Starfox Armada
    Mario Tennis
    Mario Golf
    Camelot RPG
    Too Human
    Silicon Knights secret project
    Zoonami Game Zero
    1080 Avalanche
    NST Secret Project
    Wario World
    Final Fantasy:CC

Pre-ordered Zelda and I'll grab FF:CC for the multiplayer. After looking at the video of F-Zero on the Zelda bonus disk I think I'll pass. I still don't understand why the fanboys cling so tightly to To "Too Human" this game has been in development since the N64 with very little info.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

5. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    well then what do you think is a better rpg series?

Take your pick. Most of the FF games are good games, but they have slowly crossed format. They are now a sub genre. Boarderline adventure game/interactive movie. Plain and simple, if you think FF is superior to, well any true RPG, then my friend you are not an RPG fan.

While RPG's have strived to add freedom, the FF series has strived to take it away.

Anyway if we want to go into this further it should be in a seperate thread.

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Unlike on many other gaming boards, where it's just a shouting match...

Ever been to the Xbox forums? They behave like a mass of feral, underfed animals there. When last I checked, they had a 9 page thread on what color the Xbox was. I really have to hand to the people who run them - I haven't seen anything that poorly managed since IBM in the early 80s.

I haven't been to the GC forums, but Sony's own PS boards are quite well managed, save for the daly occurance of the 'When is the PS3 coming out?' threads.

7. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Plain and simple, if you think FF is superior to, well any true RPG, then my friend you are not an RPG fan.

What kind of a statement is that? I've played tons of RPGs throughout my life. It's my absolute favorite genre. Yet because I prefer the Final Fantasy series I'm not an RPG fan? You don't have to like the FF games, but please refrain from commenting on the people who do.

8. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    "Quite a few of the titles that IGN listed aren't even exclusives"

That was the whole point of article 2.

9. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Plain and simple, if you think FF is superior to, well any true RPG, then my friend you are not an RPG fan.

*looks at massive stack of RPG's*
    It is supperior to all because I have gave all console rpg's that have come to this country a try. And none have been as strong as the FF series.

10. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>>Oh, and RBE I'd like to drag up an incredibley old chat we had. Splinter Cell, a perfect port of the xbox version, is coming to GC. . I recieved an e-mail from Nintendo Of Europe with a release date of March'03.<<<

SC On TheCube.

Sanchez my old friend, I figured I'd wait till the screens where up so I could back myself up with proof. Instead of just saying "your wrong." :D Dosen't look like a perfect port to me. looks better then the PS2 version so thats a start. :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

11. KOS_MOS

KOS_MOS Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    *looks at screenshots for each version of splinter cell*
    The X-Box version is easily the best looking version. But that should have been predictable since almost every multiplatform game released the X-Box version is the best looking.

12. Nudist_Jedi

Nudist_Jedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    Teh Xbox is best. :D

13. KOS_MOS

KOS_MOS Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2003
    I wouldn't go that far...

14. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    "Sanchez my old friend, I figured I'd wait till the screens where up so I could back myself up with proof. Instead of just saying "your wrong." Dosen't look like a perfect port to me. looks better then the PS2 version so thats a start."

If it looked anywhere near as poor as the PS2 version I'd have to resort to playing only ArmyMen games to show my intense disgust.

Anyhow, I don't think the finished product will be that far behind the Xbox version, if at all. Although I do concede the chance of a perfect port is slim.

Anyway, Cube gets sticky bomb and mini-map so that more than makes up for any graphical short-comings 8-} .

15. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    ahhhh! i accidentally voted xbox instead of the GameCube!

16. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Silly banana ^.

OFF TOPIC: Celtic lost the CIS Cup Final coz of bad refereeing. That makes me a saaaaaaaaad panda. Now we have to settle for the UEFA cup :(

BACK ON TOPIC: Can someone please get a hold of screens for all console versions of splinter cell? Just out of interest, no big deal.

17. AnthonyMorrow

AnthonyMorrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2003
    XBOX SUCKS BIG TIME

18. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I think Mario Kart is the most underrated game ever. My friends and I have been playing the N64 version for years, and we still aren't tired of it.

In fact, almost all of the 4-player nintendo party games have kicked major ass. The gamecube has been a disappointment so far(Smash Bros. rocks, but I figured they'd have more multiplayer games by now), but I'll vote for it. If the release lists are correct, this year will bring Mario Tennis(great), Mario Golf(not bad), FX Zero(also great), and Mario Kart(videogame perfection).

I'm a little bit skeptical, though. If all these games are coming out, you'd think they would make a bigger deal about it. I don't think I've seen a single screenshot from the Mario-themed games. But if it's true, I'll be in videogame heaven.

Call me a fanboy if you want, but nothing else really seems to interest me, on any console(except for maybe the Star Wars games).

19. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Is there going to be another Super Mario brothers game, I loved them games on the NES and the super NES.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a Super Smash Bros game on GCN too.

>>The gamecube has been a disappointment so far(Smash Bros. rocks, but I figured they'd have more multiplayer games by now)<<

Try the Super Monkey Ball games- they're a blast. I've heard the Godzilla: DAMM game is really fun in multi too.

>>I don't think I've seen a single screenshot from the Mario-themed games.<<

Mario Party 4 came out a few months ago.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    None of the above.

PC.

Lionheart, Tron 2.0, Age of Mythology Expansion, KotOR, Galaxies, Greyhawk: Temple of Elemental Evil (3rd Edition D&D by Tim Cain of Fallout/Arcanum)...

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>There's a Super Smash Bros game on GCN too.<<<

Yeah I know, I have it. As I said before, it rocks...but I wish they had more 4-player party games.

>>>Try the Super Monkey Ball games- they're a blast. I've heard the Godzilla: DAMM game is really fun in multi too.<<<

Thanks. I've heard of Super Monkey Ball, but never really thought about getting it. I'll rent it the next time I'm out.

>>>Mario Party 4 came out a few months ago.<<<

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in my previous post. I'm not a huge fan of that...I think the Mario Party series needs a rest. The first one was great, but the sequels have all been the same.

With the new DVD-ish medium, you'd think they could cram a million minigames onto one disc(you know, collecting all of the Mario Party 1-3 minigames, and adding new ones). But Mario Party 4 has the same amount, if not less games than previous versions. And they mostly suck! How many "tap A as fast as you can" games can they throw at us?

But maybe I'm being hypocritical. Here I am, complaining about too many rehashey sequels for Mario Party, while at the same time complaining that they aren't releasing Mario Kart/Tennis/Golf/etc. sequels fast enough. I guess the trick is balance. Each system should recieve one massively updated version of each game. They had the right idea with Super Smash Bros. Both N64 and Gamecube had the same basic gameplay, but the gamecube version had so many new characters/levels/modes that it was well worth buying.

P.S. I could also use a good four-player FPS. I have Bond: Agent Under Fire, which is pretty good, but it's no GoldenEye. (where's Rare when we finally need them? stupid Microsoft)

Is TimeSplitters 2 any good?

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I ahven't had the chance to play Timesplitters 2, but I've heard it's pretty good- mainly due to it's similarities to Goldeneye (same programmer team) and the level editor for multiplayer.

24. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I vote "Other" too.

The PC is the best this year (and every year IMO). Adding on to the ones already listed for the PC: Jedi Academy, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, and BF1942 Expansion Pack (Secret Weapons I think it will be called).

Any others we forget?

25. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Bomberman is also always great for multi-player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.