What the Heart Hides. Obi, Ani, Siri - drama, humor, comfort. Complete as of 090208.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ObiWans_Gurl86 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Excellent!! purely amazing. That was a great update, I mean Obiwan is such a good person and jedi he didn't' deserve all that torture he endured, so it was great that he finally learned the truth and he is now able to forgive himself, he truly deserves that. Great Job!!
  2. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    You already know how much I love this post![face_love] You have such an incredible knack for writing such a believable chemistry between Obi and Siri. They truly are meant to be together. I'm so looking forward to more! Don't keep us waiting too long! [face_praying]
  3. tallie_tachi Jedi Padawan

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...:_| :D8-}

I have to tell you...you couldn't have wrapped that birthday present for me any better! (my bday is in fact tomorrow hehe) [:D] This is exactly the kind of emotion I want when I go to a movie or read a book. It was like the climax of a movie when the 1 character reveals his pain and the other helps him through it...and then of course realize their true love for one another and express it in the perfect passionate kiss. This mixed with ObiWan...phew it can't get any better!

This is the way I like Siri...tough love but still gentle. I really liked seeing her vulnerability, how she had to struggle to keep herself together for his benefit.

What a great picture of our Obi Wan! His poor little ole sweet heart...worrying about what he thought he did when it wasn't that way at all. I really thought for a bit that he did in fact reach that dark point. But then I felt the same relief that he did when she told him the truth.

So happy with the end of this chapter...enforcing that he is still the same Jedi we LOVE...only bruised on the outside. I almost feel that the story could end right here because I feel a bit of closure...wait...maybe that's euphoria! But of course I want to keep reading because you are so awesome! hehe [face_dancing]

PS - my favorite line:

In this moment, he had the Force and yet he still reached to her.

and to clarify my earlier 'concern' over consummation...let's just say this chapter is enough for me, perfect in fact. [face_love] it would take a lot for me to let go of my 'concern' so I shall continue reading at my own risk. ;)
  4. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Veloz: I have no further words... wonderful job with this, simply wonderful. I guess that means you like it.

Lolly_Tolly: Thanks. [face_blush]

Kyana-Morgaine: Thanks for reading.

Charie: I?m glad you liked it.

nada_smith I don't know how you manage to make the emotional subtext seem so vivid to me, yet still keep Obi-Wan very much in character as a reserved Jedi but it definitely works! Luck, I guess.

How horrific this must have seemed to him! Since he thinks he did the unexpected once and he doesn't really know how he overcame it, he doesn't seem to trust himself anymore, and that's a terrible thing. The mask was, obviously, horribly traumatic and made him ?think? he enjoyed suffering. It ?switched? his perceptions around.

earlybird-obi-wan: I?m glad that ?revelation? played well.

Raptor517: All is explained! Awesome, awesome concept. So, it made sense? Whew, <wipes brow>

Dianethx: It was a risk, but it was a ?necessary? risk to get beyond it. And the relief is ? well ? Obi-Wan can finally start looking ahead now that he?s risked looking back.

Gkilkenny: Siri has to break down that stubborn wall of his, and make him see her as a woman not a Jedi. Oh, but he has, when that nightmare brought her to his side during the night. But just because he loves her doesn?t mean he has to act on his love ? he may not want to, ultimately, and he?s aware that taking such an irrevocable step has be a step chosen when both are healthy and thinking straight ? rational decision not just an emotional one in the heat of any moment.

ObiWans_Gurl86? he didn't' deserve all that torture he endured, so it was great that he finally learned the truth and he is now able to forgive himself, he truly deserves that. He has found he has nothing to forgive himself for?that?s a huge load off his shoulders.

Jedidas3: ? a believable chemistry between Obi and Siri. They truly are meant to be together. Unless written by Jude Watson...true love cannot triumph.

tallie_tachie Happy Birthday! (I waited ?til midnight to post this, just for you!) I almost feel that the story could end right here because I feel a bit of closure...

I?ve actually thought of that ? I am ?this close? to pulling the plug for various and sundry reasons, some of which may be valid and some not.

If I do, I will continue the next phase of the story as a much shorter sequel (um ? 10 chapters?), but starting fresh. That won?t affect ?the? sequel, though; it?ll just be a sequel to this sequel or join it.

Still am considering it, but the next chapter 1st ½ belongs here, not the beginning of another story, but logically the 2nd ½ could easily and logically start with the still-healing but practically recovered Obi-Wan.

In some ways, it might even be preferable to do that ? a bit of recapping by Obi and Siri to the rest of the gang to set up the ?rest of the story.?

So, what do you ever-dwindling but still-loyal readers think? Is the story losing everyone's interest or is it the seasonal doldrums that make me think it's time to cut my losses and get out? ;)

I have more story to tell, obviously, but perhaps it would be best to do so in a new story, where the number of pages don't look so daunting to others.

Maybe interest in the boards in general will pick up a bit after Labor Day....

Oh, by the way, there's a thread in Resource - a "post-mortem" as it were relating to the awards. Some of you may have some thoughts - here's the place to post them. Subjects include increasing participation and visibility. If any of you are interested in putting your two cents in re: visibility, etc. pop over to:

Post-Awards Discussion

5. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fantastic updates!

?Oh, you poor, mistreated, foolish man ? you never once thought to talk to Alpha afterwards or read his report? You want to know what you did ? really did? You cried, Kenobi, when it got too much to watch, you cried for him no matter what the mask tried to make you think you were doing to him. Foolish, foolish man ? you?ve been hiding from a delusion, not the truth. Tears, Kenobi, not laughter. The tears of a Jedi.?

Obi-Wan you are really way too hard on yourself, listen to Siri!

This kiss, however gentle it started, deepened into something far more akin to passion than affection, though with a little laugh Obi-Wan broke it off, far too soon for her liking. She would have liked to see just far it would have gone.

Aww...how lovely. [face_love]

Nothing was beyond reach now, for they would face it ? together.

Fantastic chapter ending! =D= =D=
  6. charie Jedi Knight

star 2
    I want to read anything you write in any way,shape or form you wish to write it. I'm there.I know you have many readers who feel the same way. We love your stories. I hope you feel better soon.[:D]
  7. obsessedwithSW Force Ghost

star 4
    Telli Tachi wrote and to clarify my earlier 'concern' over consummation...let's just say this chapter is enough for me, perfect in fact. it would take a lot for me to let go of my 'concern' so I shall continue reading at my own risk.

I take whatever I can get [face_batting] and I can never get too much of SIRI/Obi thank you!
  8. smoke20ts Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry I've gotten behind (changes at work and family issues have kept me busy the last few weeks).

?No, I don?t think you do; though you spoke of how they work, you didn?t listen to yourself. You poor man ? you believe a delusion forced on you by that mask. It twisted the Force: it took what was inside you and twisted it. That damn mask created nothing, it exploited nothing; it reversed impulses and thoughts, Obi-Wan. It took what was good in you and tried to make it dark ? the darkness was never there to start with, existing Light was perverted into perceived Darkness. I don?t know how you defeated it, but you did it by reclaiming the Light that was within you.?

This is a really great explanation of exactly what the Sith mask did -- that it basically was an opposite reflection of the truth.

?And have you forgotten that you?re also a man? A human being with very human feelings? You?re more than a man, but no less than one, either. You?re never going to be that perfect Jedi you wish you were. There is no such thing. Every single one of us is gifted with the Force and highly trained ? but we are still sentient beings, fallible and imperfect.

?Of course the man you are felt dark side emotions ? but you didn?t give in to them. You?ve mastered your hate, Kenobi, what lingers you?ve directed against yourself. You?re the very last person you should hate or fear. Let it all go, Obi-Wan, forgive yourself if you think there?s need. No one else does. You?ve forgiven her, haven?t you? Then why not yourself??

Wonderful advice from Siri. I think you did a very nice job of having Siri try to find the balance between pushing Obi-Wan to face what was haunting him and her concern to not push him too hard and cause more pain.

After a few moments of blissful peace, he opened his eyes and gently cupped her face in two strong hands, a smile playing around his lips. His eyes searched hers, for what she wasn?t sure, but apparently found what he sought. When he leaned forward and kissed her ? after a quick glance around to be sure no one was within sight ? she met his kiss with her own.

This kiss, however gentle it started, deepened into something far more akin to passion than affection, though with a little laugh Obi-Wan broke it off, far too soon for her liking. She would have liked to see just far it would have gone.
    [face_love]

I, like Siri, would have liked to see just how far it could have gone. (By the way, I'm definitely for consummation.)

As for whether to continue the story as one big story or as a sequel -- all I can really say is that regardless of which route you choose to follow, I will continue to read (even if real life sometimes forces me to fall behind). You have crafted a wonderful story and I thank you for sharing it.

Well done!
  9. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    LilyHobbitJedi Obi-Wan is rather hard on himself. But he hasn?t been thinking straight, understandably.

cheri and obsessedwithSW AW, thanks. The Siriwan is building up to whatever climax the story demands.

Smoke20ts:I?m still trying to come up with a pseudo-scientific explanation of how the mask worked. I?ve thought of contact poisons, cellular critters, and all sorts of things.

As for Siri and Obi ? they move tentatively forward, but just how far they go ? depends on a lot of things: does Obi-Wan revert back to the emotionally self-contained Jedi he was before ? can he think himself honorable entering into a relationship ? will he be pursuing personal desires rather than honoring his determination to subvert personal desires to the service of the Force or can he find a way to reconcile the man and the Jedi?

I don't have to make a decision quite yet on whether to continue this story here or as a new story; this chapter and the next part of the one following "finish off" the Jabiim after-effects other than getting the Force to flow again. The last 2 chapters were the "emotional climax" of the Obi-torture and we're shedding that for the moving forward part of the story.

@};- Chapter 62. What Kisses Hath Wrought?@};-

Anakin Skywalker liked to think that few things surprised him. He found out just how wrong he was when he rounded a corner and came upon the unexpected sight of his master and Siri together on a bench. Find the two sitting together was not a common sight, but it was not unheard of and was by itself unworthy of remark. No, what was so surprising about it was the way they sat so close together, with Obi-Wan leaning into Siri?s shoulder and her head resting upon his.

At first he thought they were holding hands as well, but it was merely Siri?s hand atop one of his master?s, even if her fingers were laced through his, the clasped hands lying loosely in her lap. Her other arm was supporting the Jedi, the fingers gently combing through his hair.

It was a perfectly innocent and yet quietly intimate scene. Anakin raised an eyebrow in open question of what he might have interrupted, a soft cough indicating his presence.

He knew Siri was aware he was there, but she merely whispered a short phrase into his master?s ear. At the same time she patted his hand, a nearly unconscious gesture as far as he could tell.

The young man almost smiled, then nearly frowned, not sure what to think as the Jedi turned her attention to him as if it was the most natural thing in the galaxy to be so openly affectionate with another person ? another Jedi ? his master here in public.

Had that kiss he?d dared Siri to give Obi-Wan led to ? well ? this, something he had never expected of his straight arrow and oh-so-perfect a master when it came to following the Code? It was one thing for he himself to violate the Code ? an archaic and outmoded rulebook in his not-so-humble opinion ? but Obi-Wan wouldn?t, would he? Anakin relied on his master to be the example he didn?t live up to.

He had never quite realized until now how much he relied on that steadiness, that certainty of purpose and steadfastness to duty. It was the stable foundation he could rely on regardless of the shifting sands he normally walked, blown hither and yon by the currents of the Force and the pull of what he had yet to understand within him. The possibility of his losing that was strangely unsettling.

He wet his lips and took a deep breath. Ah, don?t be stupid, don?t make something out of a little closeness, he admonished himself, wishing at the same time his stomach would settle down.

Another thought intruded, one even less comfortable to contemplate as he suddenly realized Obi-Wan had not stirred or acknowledged his presence in any manner.

Obi-Wan hadn?t had another near emotional breakdown had he? The sight of his ever calm, ever serene master so silently crying in Siri?s arms not so many days before had just abo
  10. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    Excellent.
    Siri and Obi-Wan seem to fit well together.
    Anakin's anger is quite dominant. It controls him and I can see why he would end up turning. He can?t control it.

Nevertheless, our Obi-Wan is getting better and he and Siri are growing closer.

Wonderful story.=D=
  11. Lolly_Tolly Force Ghost

star 4
    Anakin relied on his master to be the example he didn?t live up to.

That line cracked me up!

This chapter was so odd. It went from sort of light-ish, to horribly ominous. (The true mark of a good author. ;) )

Thanks for the PM!
  12. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, that's Obi-Wan, pure and all light inside.

And Anakin thinking about revenge, that's just Anakin being corrupted from the time he saw Palpatine and maybe even earlier when he was a slave.

Superb writing =D==D==D=

And nice to see that humor between Siri and Obi-Wan[face_love]
  13. Kyana-Morgaine Jedi Knight

star 2
  14. Veloz Force Ghost

star 6
    Well whatever u decide keep me on ur pm list, specially if u go to another fic with it... i'm interested in where u would go with this side of the story :D

Lovesd this chapter as usual :) ... wonderful, wonderful job =D=

Had that kiss he?d dared Siri to give Obi-Wan led to ? well ? this, something he had never expected of his straight arrow and oh-so-perfect a master when it came to following the Code? It was one thing for he himself to violate the Code ? an archaic and outmoded rulebook in his not-so-humble opinion ? but Obi-Wan wouldn?t, would he? Anakin relied on his master to be the example he didn?t live up to.
    He had never quite realized until now how much he relied on that steadiness, that certainty of purpose and steadfastness to duty. It was the stable foundation he could rely on regardless of the shifting sands he normally walked, blown hither and yon by the currents of the Force and the pull of what he had yet to understand within him. The possibility of his losing that was strangely unsettling.

This is very interesting, specially coming from Anakin [face_thinking]

?I?m not asleep, Padawan, just resting. Siri insisted I use her shoulder as a pillow.? His voice was slightly slurred and heavy with exhaustion.
    ?Are you sure that?s my master?? Anakin asked Siri, a crooked grin crossing his face. He had never known his master to so openly lean on another, physically or emotionally ? and continue to do so in the presence of others. Obi-Wan was not known for physical gestures of affection ? oh, a hand on the shoulder, a playful tweak of a braid, a rare and occasional hug ? but nothing like this, especially not in a public space.
    ?If you?re my padawan, I?m your master.? Obi-Wan still hadn?t moved or opened his eyes. ?Don?t stare.?
    The admonishment carried no sting, only amused affection; it prompted the same in response.
    ?Oh. Well then, since I?m not about to give you up, my master, I guess you are who I think you are.?
    A slight chuckle greeted this, warming the padawan?s heart even more. Something had loosened within the Jedi, some hidden knot of closely guarded pain that had sullied what little Force presence he had. Even the barely visible lines of tension that had never been obviated, even while the man had been under sedation, had smoothed out. This was the Obi-Wan that was most dear to him: relaxed and in a teasing mood.

Loved this part, because that's the Obi-Wan i love most too :)

Despite Obi-Wan?s groans of protest that he was a grown man, Anakin made sure his master removed his footwear and lay down for a while as soon as they got to their quarters.
    ?Save your energy for disciplining me,? he said brightly, a small smile playing over his lips. Oh, it felt good to be teasing Obi-Wan once more, treating him as he usually did rather than this wounded being he had tried to be so careful around.
    ?What have you done now, Padawan?? Obi-Wan didn?t even bother to open his eyes, yawning instead.
    ?Nothing, but I?m sure I will.?
    ?Ah, I?m sure you will, too.? Obi-Wan managed a cheeky grin at his padawan, who did his best to look affronted. With his usual logic, he added, ?You were the one to bring it up; live with the consequences.?

[face_laugh] it's great to see these exchanges =D=

?Hey, now, Obi-Wan?s back and going to be fine, you said so yourself.? What Ventress had done to his master was really bad if a seasoned knight could barely talk about it. He rubbed Siri?s hand between his own, wishing he could do or say something. Apparently what he was doing was enough, for Siri managed a gri
  15. Raptor517 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, evil should be punished. But we're not often the ones to do i. Wonderful chapter...

Raptor517
  16. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Aww, I loved that chapter. [face_love] And the two before it that DRL kept me from replying too. [face_love]

I'm so glad that Obi-Wan is at last truly on the mend, thanks to Siri's insight. [face_love]

After a few minutes, he turned and grinned at Siri. ?Yes, he?s really going to be all right. Thank the Force. I can hardly wait for his first sour comment or reprimand.? The look she gave him made it clear he was going to be reminded of that if and when he complained; he returned a look of injurious innocence upon the knight. [face_laugh]

Looking forward to more! :D
  17. Magier Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am so glad Obi-Wan has let it all out. I think he can really heal now.

So sweet that Anakin did not know what to make of seeing Siri and Obi-Wan so close. I am glad he could at least admit to Siri that he was jealous that Obi-Wan confided in her instead of him. Now Anakin, though, still having these ideas of revenge is not good.
  18. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    Gkilkenny: Anakin's anger is quite dominant. It controls him and I can see why he would end up turning. He can?t control it. Nevertheless, our Obi-Wan is getting better and he and Siri are growing closer.

It?ll take a while for Anakin to control his anger but he?ll eventually ? well, let?s just say the ?heart? aspect of this story is crucial to all the characters, if not now, later. As to Obi and Siri, they?re about as close as they can get at this point, emotionally, they really have nothing left of themselves not open to the other.

Lolly_Tolly: This chapter was so odd. You scared me at first with that ?odd.? [face_shame_on_you]

Anyway, as I referred a number of chapters back, I think Obi-Wan is Anakin?s "ground." I didn?t want to use the cliché ?wind under my wings? analogy, but being down to earth, practical, and dependable; Anakin knows there?s someone to pull him back if necessary. Palps knows that too, which is why he tries so hard to distance the two once Anakin is close enough to be ?grasped.?

earlybird-obi-wan: Anakin thinking about revenge. To his (partial) credit, Anakin is thinking of justice (consciously), but he?s itching for revenge (subconsciously). Too bad he didn?t say something in front of Siri; she?d bring him down to reality.

Kyana-Morgaine: Thanks.

veloz It is so fun to see Obi and Ani teasing each other isn?t it? It's great that Anakin understands why Obi-Wan was evasive with him... but knowing Anakin part of him will still have issues with it for a while Well, of course, he can?t ?mature? all that fast without ruining parts of the story I wrote a year ago ? but he is maturing. He just needs to ?be Anakin? a time or two yet to set up ? hum, his redemption, perhaps? His turning into the greatest Jedi ever? [face_talk_hand] Stay tuned.

Raptor517: Justice can be a fine line, and not necessarily equal to mercy or laws, and may differ in the eyes of various beholders ? but the justice the Force wants for all beings is not the same as Anakin wants ? he wants to punish Ventress as well as prevent her harming others. The first is ?legal consequences,? the second ?laudable? but his heart would be far more satisfied if the consequences were more along the lines of ?a tooth for a tooth.?

The horrible consequence of the latter in real life is usually the escalation of violence as we?ve seen throughout history ? not just the dehumanizing and demonizing of ?others,? but the need to take 2 of theirs for every one of ours, leading to 3 of theirs for 2 of ours ? until one day there might be no one left.

Bastet: Essentially, Obi-Wan is all but well now ? he?ll get the Force back in a while, and he?ll still have the occasional and mild flashback (enough for the story purposes & to keep him in the Temple) but comparatively speaking ? yeah, he?s recovered. This will allow me to go more lighthearted with Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan & Anakin, while Anakin?s struggling to rise above his anger.

Magier So sweet that Anakin did not know what to make of seeing Siri and Obi-Wan so close. I am glad he could at least admit to Siri that he was jealous that Obi-Wan confided in her instead of him.

The point is to have Anakin actually begin to internalize that Obi-Wan has emotions. He won?t connect the dots for a long time ? right now, there?s few dots to connect anyway, but his inner perception of who his master is changing ? but enough to prevent Darth Vader?

Admitting his jealousy is a HUGE step for him in his maturation as well. Face it, admit it ? now release it like a good Jedi.

Anakin, though, still having these ideas of revenge is not good. He hasn?t progressed as far as he?ll need to. Keep in mind that I had this story all written (hah!) months ago with a totally different (i.e. canon) storyline than I?m now going.

Instead of junking chapters, I?m keeping them by having Anakin flip-flop a bit between canonical behavior and the behavior he?ll exhibit much later on
  19. snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Master

star 4
    Amazing update!

I love the metaphor of "veils" here; it ties in so well with the mask.

Another thing I've really enjoyed about this fic is the imagery that keeps popping up. Touching has gone from being something that Obi didn't do, to something he was scared of to finally something that he is comfortable with- I really like how this turned out.

This was a really great story, and I hope you continue it! Anytime I hear about the battle of Jabiim now, I will be thinking about this, lol.

Keep up the great work!

20. Lolly_Tolly Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, Valairy! This chapter was truly spectacular!

And don't worry when I call something odd, it's usually a good thing. :p
  21. jedidas3 Jedi Master

star 3
    Wow! That'll teach me to take an extra long weekend. Wonderful updates my friend. You know how much I love this story that you're weaving. My friend, once again, I'm in awe! I'm not sure where to begin. I'm going back rereading these two posts and I'll come back and edit.
  22. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow, you update fast! But I'm caught up again. :)

Despite his very real exhaustion, Obi-Wan?s head was high and his back straight, for the weight of his burden had been lifted at last. Whether his master knew it or not, the Force was again dancing in his presence.

Aww...I'm so happy to see that Obi-Wan is start to really overcome what happened to him.

I swear, Master, Ventress shall not go unpunished, upon my word as a Jedi. Soon, Master, soon.

Anakin, you need to let it go. Anger is not good.[face_shame_on_you]

?I do what I must.? His smile was a bit strained, his concern for her real even as he tried to tease her. He winced theatrically as Siri lightly smacked him on the arm.

I love this little teasing moment between the two. [face_love]

?I?m free.?

The worst was behind him ? and the future beckoned.

Fantastic! Such wonderful updates! =D==D=

23. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful chapter. [face_love]

I'm so happy to see our dear Obi-Wan really and truly on the mend. [face_love]

Now Obi needs to get the Force back, and help Anakin deal with everything that's happened in these past several months.

So however you decide to continue this story, please keep me on the PM list! Thanks so much! :D @};-
  24. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sorry, I've been on vacation and catching up slowly with my PMs, emails and other RL things.

These last two chapters were wonderful, full of emotion and yet so very satisfying. I can't really pick out one thing that I liked above the rest because it was all so lovely. I'm just glad that Obi-Wan - and Anakin - are able to understand the emotions that were keeping Obi-Wan from releasing his pain into the Force and get beyond it.

Great job.

If you start up a sequel, please send me a PM. Thanks. @};-
  25. General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm here! Hurricane Gustav knocked out our power for a week, so I've had no internet access. But please, keep me on the PM list. I love this fic, even when I can't find time to review.:D

Great chapters, great story, and I am looking forward to whatever you do with it. :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.