main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What the Heck is Chewy Saying ?!?!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by episodenone, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    so last night on A&E the SW documentary "empitre of dreams" was on.

i noticed the scene when chewy grunts and han says "where did u dig up this old fossil" [or something like that] that peter mayhew actually utters the line "where did you find this crazy old man" [or something like that].
    it was hysterical to see chewy speak actual words!

now, ignorance being bliss and all, i never really gave much thought to that. since it was usually obvious what chewy's intent was, i agree subtitles were totally unnecessary.

however, i am sure GL had dialogue for chewy and i was wondering where i could find it !!!

ideas? a little help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    No clue. Probably on some site on the internet might have it. Try google or yahoo. You can also ask someone in the Empire of Dreams Offical Thread. I'm sure you are not the only person asking this question.

3. Handmaiden-

Handmaiden- Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    My guess is that Lucas never intended for Chewie to speak, but he had to have the actors reacting to his gruffs and howls, so he had Peter speak actual English so the actors could react better to what he said.
    In other words, maybe Peter never had to memorize any words; on set, Lucas would just tell him, "all right, now say this line so Harrison can react to that."

4. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    i disagree

i think the lines were wrote initially - i mean wayyyyyy back in the firest draft.

i believe it was later on that he realized chewy would not be speaking basic and that there would be no subtitles.

so i believe the lines always existed -- and that they were substituted later -- the same way all the characters speak Huttese.

difference being - huttese is actually trasnslateable [sp.?]

5. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Actually, I think he says: "That old man's mad!" or something like that.

6. Cheebo86

Cheebo86 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 1, 2003
    The first draft didn't even have Chewie I thought? It was way differnt. We have access to all draft's of the scripts online somewhere. I forgot where now though. NONE of the drafts had Chewie speak english.

7. Overwhelmed_Jedi

Overwhelmed_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2004
    Guys, its simple what Chewie is saying, he is yelling in Wookese! LOL! Well, I've had my fun, bye!

8. MASTER_JEDI_AS_REK

MASTER_JEDI_AS_REK Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    Heres a good Chewie question. Why would he even make a wise crack about a Jedi Knight like Obi-Wan anyway. Chewie was around during the Clones Wars, and the name Kenobi is as famous as bill gates. Chewie had a conversation with him at the cantina in Mos Eisley and saw him use his Lightsaber. Why would Chewie a wookie a race of warriors make such a smart ass crack about a Jedi Master like Obi-wan? Riddle me that Batman.

9. episodenone

Jun 13, 2001
    good point - but it doesn't necessarily mean that obi-wan didnt come off a little nutty when he decided to head off all by himself on a battle station manned by a bazillion imperials !!! to shut down a tractor beam.

still - it makes sense to me that in order to write a story, [be it book, play, movie, comix, whatever] - i would guess most authors at least in their own heads know what the characters are saying even when its spoken in wookese in order for the story to flow properly.

it just makes sense - especuially to a stickler for detail like GL.

so i still think the lines exist somewhere.

or at least if we cud see the rough cut scenes just like the one in "Empire of Dreams" we would at least see what peter mayhew said to help the other actors with their lines.

10. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I'm pretty sure GL hadn't delved that deep into the back story at that point, not that specific anyway. Looking back now know more, but in the '70's I don't think that had been established.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.