main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate What the hell happened to the police?

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Here's what we do:

1. decriminalize drugs and most non violent vice and
    2. re-institute the draft.

Have every able-bodied American male and female between the ages of 18 and 21 serve in either the military or in an unskilled civil service corps. Kids unable to complete a high school education by the age of 18 would be sent to boot camp with an incorporated equivalency degree program. Crime is mostly a pastime of the young anyway. Incarcerate all of them into basically beneveloent, training-oriented slave labor camps after they finish high school until their brains finish developing. It would be a fantastic federal job program and would come with health care and some kind of universal GI bill to help pay for vocational training or higher education, some of which could happen during their military/civil service.

2. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    sting didn't "quit" as much as he just dumped stewart copeland and that other guy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    TheAvengerButton

there are people getting shot by the police of every race, including white people, because they "look bad" or because they are "lower class" so people don't care as much. take for example a case i remember where a homeless man was filmed being shot by the police while running away.

I don't bring this up in the other thread because this guy was not profiled for his race, and that thread should focus on race relations. I bring it up here to show that not only is racial profiling bad, but that police brutality extends into other areas as well.

white people defend the police when less well off or 'scary' white people are shot, but then they conveniently bring up those deaths when they are trying to downplay racial profiling (hey look white people get shot too shut up!). and then they want to talk down to black people for 'black on black' crime. give me a break. :/

4. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    The problem is if you send them to the military their brains will be broken before they are finished developing.

Some kind of civil service program would be good though.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Not if they don't go into active combat. Most countries have a draft, yet they very rarely are engaged in any operations to use the conscripts in. It's more of a preparatory measure, should they ever be needed. Oh, that's right. You're the US. When are you not engaged somewhere? My mistake. Okay, but even if the US reinstated the draft, all 18-21 year olds would not be needed in combat operations. I figure most of them wouldn't, and just like it already is, the volunteers would be the ones serving in active duty, no?

6. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    If there's a mandatory service period who is volunteering?

Also, even without combat operations, the military will **** you up.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I kind of like the idea of civil service just cause of the educational value it could bring plus it's basically free work experience.

I would not like to join the military for moral reasons (no, I'm not an anti-soldier edgelord) but the idea of being given all sorts of training is enticing and i think many societal problems could at least be reduced (though not eliminated since every country with compulsory service, even with a civillian alternative, isn't free from problems and this only works for places like singapore and finland. compulsory service is not helping russia lol)

Rew likes this.
  8. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    We have conscription here, but only volunteers are sent to Afghanistan to assist in NATO operations. Or people who have applied for military career and/or education programs. Regarding the latter, those people should and do know that service comes with the territory.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Terence Cutcher. The officer(s) said he was reaching into his vehicle. Going around facebook right now is video showing the window rolled up via the helicopter. You can see it and the blood running down the window past the 3:38 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw5HzCTclnU
    Ramza Edit: Please link graphic content offsite

10. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    My question is why would anyone even want to be a cop these days? To me the whole thing isn't worth it

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Because every little thing they do is magic.

12. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    don't stand so close to me.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Every step you take, every move you make,
    Every smile you fake, every breath you take,
    I'll be watching you.

14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I thought that was the NSA's slogan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Corruption and racism don't run uphill. When the street level cops are bad, look at the people above street level. They foster an atmosphere of turning of corruption, illegality and cover-ups. Hard to reform on the ground level when the people at the top don't change their behavior.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. And the police department would not release the footage from the body cam. Law in place Oct 1 says they don't have to.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Good news! This one doesn't end in death!

They just turned off their body cams and when they found a we bit of marijuana in this kids car they made him eat it.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I understand that video footage is providing important context to these discussions but owing to our terms and services please link to it offsite rather than embedding directly. This is the one threadwide warning and I apologize for that not being made clear sooner.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000

Most of their brains are crap either way.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    We don't normally hear much about the U.S. and human rights abuses. The right wing hates the UN, as it tends to be science based in their dealings.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought it was because the UN evaluates all countries by the same standard as opposed to giving the US a pass because we are "different" and superior or something.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I first heard about it as a conspiracy mentioned on Beck about how the UN is trying to take over the world and have a One World Government. Part of the reasoning was some fear about enacting climate change sanctions and education policies compatible with science. This would mean less religion in schools and no stopping those oil companies. But that is all for another thread i guess.