What the hell is going on??

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by George Mezori SCIFI 3D, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSithLord89 Jedi Youngling

Well im just going to say what I am going to say.I have looked up to this site and thought to my self that its one of the best because of how well everyone here gets along and shares their knowledge of modelling.I have not been that "involved" with this site because I my self am not that great of a modeller but im getting their.But when I first came to this site back about 2 1/2 maybe 3 years ago, I thought it was a really awesome site.Alot of the art work and models and stuff was beyond me at the time because I was a new born to the CGI world. Ever since I first visited the Scifi 3D, I always wanted to do the same kinda things that all the other modellers and artist did.So I practiced on my program, came to this forum,asked questions,watched other peoples WIP and etc, and learned most modelling skills.I use to be excited about whats new in the forum,but now its nothing but (no offence to anyone) very stupid threads.
    I myself try not to ask stupid questions or make dumb threads, but most of the question and stuff have been asked over and over.I remember awhile back coming into the forum and seeing new WIP models,or atleast progress of those WIP.Now I see nothing but dumb stuff.
    Whats the best program?
    Where do I find this?
    Can you make that for me?
    and so on and so on,and these questions repeat over and over by many differnent people.I think that the purpose of this site is:

1.Display WIP (scifi WIP) because this site is for scifi art and models (good or bad),not for superheroes or anything eles.(no offence)
    2.Share info on where to make improvements on a WIP.
    3.Give help for people that are stuck and dont know what to do with a WIP.
    4.Interact with other users about 3d WIP and etc.

Thats my view of the site.I dont think this site should be about dumb questions or a bunch of request and stuff.I agree with zoo,it was smart he made all that stuff spicifically for Request,Tutorials,and everything eles.But I dont think he should of jumped on ScaPaCamem about his Bryce model.I mean he was only displaying what he had at the moment,he isnt even finished.This site has always had people come into it and show their models from beginning to finish.Zoo when you told ScaPa back on the closed thread,you said,"Is this is blender model?I think there are other more appropriate places to post stuff like this if you insist on sharing it somewhere." I got the impression that you dont except members that use other programs besides Max,lightwave,or maya.I mean it looked to me that you dont want anyone sharing blender or bryce models into this forum or site.This site is for Scifi models,no matter what program its in.Its for scifi. The name of the website is "Scifi 3D",not Scifi MAX, or Scifi Lightwave.Its scifi 3d.A place for anyone that has a good model to share no matter what program they use.No model should be looked down upon,like you looked down on ScaPa's.This place is to help and improve upon,not to smash or turn people away.Thats what makes this Forum and site so great,because were not like CGTalk or any of those other forums.And if we turn people away and close their threads because its a bad model,we are no different then those forums.And these new born artist will never learn or be helped like they need to be.Alot of good artist on this website have started out like ScaPa,and they improved.I started out like him and i improved by asked "smart questions" and looking at what other members here do.I agree with some of the things your doing zoo,but we shouldnt turn down members or close their links just because its model that full of primitives,especially a WIP model.Now no one can help ScaPa improve and no one can share what they think and tell him what they think he should do.So lets not dismiss a bad model or newborn,but help them with their model and give them advice.Now we dont need questions flooding the forum I do agree.So maybe another forum should be made for help and questions and awnsering,and not dumb stuff like "how do I rotoscope a lightsaber" people that have those questions can go somewhere eles.But I think
  2. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    I've already addressed this. That's not true. Here we go again... there is a Blender model on the site, there are gallery images of BRYCE work, and I've been trying to acquire the Bryce model of the Jedi Hallway. So it's really a matter of quality.. not which app you use. I still think that WIP thread was not worth sharing. That's my opinion on the what the standards should be. The program doesn't matter. I've seen worse stuff made by a noob using MAYA.

I've really already explained myself on this. Outside of the obivous like requests and stuff that don't belong... the standards of WIP threads need to be higher. I don't want to see silly simple stuff... most of the people in the community don't. Wait till you have something better to share before you post simple boxes and stuff. That's all.
  3. Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I still think that Spa's model was beyond simple prims. I think that thread should be unlocked and the posts that could have turned it into THIS thread should be deleted. Personally I would have commented on his model. But now... I can't.

Sure, it's simple. But that doesn't mean that it always will be. And it's fun to watch things grow!

So, I'll side with the Sci-fi only theme. And keep the necessary, non-stupid questions in the stickies. And WIP input and showing off is the purpose of the board. But I would have to disagree that only WIPs nearing completion are acceptable. I think Spa's WIP was the perfect point to present a WIP.
  4. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    You can reply when he comes back with something a little better than that. SCIFI 3D is not a newbie site. There are plenty of places to post beginner level work on the net.

And somebody, maybe you, said we're only SCIFI and not "super heroes" or something. That's not true. I said tv/film, some original work, etc. There is a SPAWN image on the site and I have come close to taking some BATMAN, and other things too.

And I didn't say a WIP has to near completion. Whatever I said, or however it might be taken, that's not what I meant. I said over and over it's a question of standards.
  5. ScaPaCamem Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ok i am going to put this so you can understand. WORK IN PROGRESS. The key words being IN PROGRESS. You could also say it isnt near done. So where is your 3D work? Let me see how good it is. None of the fanfilms mods have ever said your fanfilm isnt good enough and lock the thread. None of the fanart mods have ever said that is a terrible drawing and lock the thread. Seeing the trend? In other words you are the only one who cannot except the fact some people are not as skilled as others.

Thanks for sticking up for me Jyro
  6. George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum

VIP
    star 4
    One thing about life I've learned... emotion, irrationality, illogicalness will never get you anywhere but in endless arguments. If you look beyond your weakness in these three areas you'll see the truth in what I'm saying.

SCIFI 3D gets critized, namely SOTS, all the time. I'm sure if I took our trailers to CGtalk they'd tear it up. Especially now that those are like 2-3 years old. But... I'm "rational" enough to realize there are and aren't places I'd post something. Depends on what it is and how good it is.

It's a fact of life that people have different skills. That's why you are not socializing with and part of a group of professionals. That's why most of the people around here are semi-pros, students, etc. And that's why people at CGtalk have their own circles of people made up of some people like us, and other circles that are just pros. It's not about elitism... it's about the facts of life. We congregate where we feel comfortable... where other people feel comfortable with us. I've never been a really great artist. That's why I only know a handful of pros and have never really been accepted in some groups that are strictly artists. And that's ok. It probably should be that way. I think we all fit in right where we should. And I've always been an idea man, who does a little editing and other bits of work.

ANYWAY. I'm basically saying for the umpteenth time.. I don't know who told you that this is a place where you can post whatever you want. They lied to you. I'm telling you now what the standards are and there's really nothing to debate. This is what we want this forum to be.

And with the rest of your statements... I feel we have just gone backwards a few steps with you. So with that I think I've said everything I have to say, every point that needed to be made was made, and I've adequately explained myself. I think I will retire this thread now. Thanks for those who understand. Good luck with whatever your goals are. See you on the other side where hopefully some decent work will be posted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.