main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What the kark happened to Daala and Lecersen?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Revanfan1, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    One more thing that I have to say about Ben that I forgot before: he's super overprotective of Luke ever since Mara died. As I remember, in Conviction, he basically skewered a guy with a look that said "If you mess with my dad while I'm gone, you die." It wasn't a threat coming from the dark side of Ben, it was an honest statement based on his feelings for his father.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Perhaps Ben is better fleshed out than Anakin, but Anakin is simply easier to get a read on because of Jacen. It was not a brilliant idea to put Luke and Ben alone on the Jade Sabre for the first three books of the series, especially since nothing relevant actually occurred in the first two books, and Luke really compromised Vestara-Ben in a way that could have worked like Jacen-Anakin, operating as foils.

It's not as well written for sure.

3. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

This, this, and this again. I've said it before and i'll say it to the day I die. All the problems with Ben Skywalker's character, I honestly believe, could have been prevented or fixed with his own YJK series. There hasn't been nearly enough time or detail put into the character to make him interesting to me, or even really his own person separate from his father.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Even though I don't agree there are all that many problems with Ben, you're right. He needed his own YJK series. Maybe they should've gone with that instead of Last of the Jedi.

You mean the Jade Shadow? /jk ;)

Nothing relevant may have happened in the first two, but they and the third and fourth were far better than the rest of the series put together. Ves-Ben could've been good, but there was too much of Ves being a loyal Sith daughter and not enough of her being Vestara. When Ben interacted with her, he dropped the Jedi stuff so he could be the Ben to the Ves-Ben relationship. She never dropped the Sith bunk.

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I can't keep up with these Jade ships.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Here's the catch. You can remove Daala, but only by eliminating the entire EU. That's the deal Disney is still trying to decide on.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Daala is a war criminal and insane. And that's why I love her. Yes, it was wrong to make her CoS, but I enjoyed her character up to the end of Revelation.

8. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Has she ever actually won a battle against an opponent that wasn't a civilian target, or that could actually shoot back? Simulations don't count, and we'll pretend that Fondor was also a simulation.

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think Death Star officially retconned Daala to have brain-damage and was a brilliant Admiral but crazy after her battle over Despayre.

10. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    She skillfully manages to defeat and hold hostage her own commander in Darksaber; does that count?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what is a Jedi? A diplomat? A warrior? An idealist? A pragmatist? A monk? A sheriff? An investigator? A philosopher? A person of the world? A person of the Foce? Etc., etc.

12. The Compeer

Jun 12, 2013
    They're obviously sheriffs. Why do you think Anakin and Obi-Wan were constantly chasing Cad Bane during TCW? Dressed like that, the guy was obviously a space-cattle rustler, and the Jedi were law-men trying to bring him in. It all makes sense!

Gamiel likes this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    We don't ask those kinds of questions in the post-NJO.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Force Cops in essence I'd say.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First role of Jedi Order.
    Don't talk about Jedi Order.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That's not too surprising. Ben already lost his mom and he's not exactly close to his aunt, uncle or cousin. His dad's really all he's got left.

Plus Ben knows that his dad loved Mara as much as Ben did and that Ben's all Luke has left too. That's why the Son of Skywalker sticks so close to his father. Without Ben, Luke probably wouldn't have the strength to go on. Poor guy's already lost so many loved ones.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That's why I don't mind Ben being in Luke's shadow for the moment; he's doing it as much as for Luke's benefit as for his own. When he finally does come out (assuming the EU continues) it'll probably take a big thing to bring him away from Luke.

18. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    It's pretty bad when the only constants in your supporting characters' lives are the only characters who can't be killed off due to marketing reasons.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't understand why, when writing DNT and LOTF, Denning didn't realize Ben would need friends. Uh...was Denning a 7-year-old or a 14-year-old at one point? Maybe he didn't have any friends and that's why he wrote Ben without any...nah, that was just mean. But there has to be some explanation for him not giving Ben a single friend...right? Right?

Right?

Anyone? :oops:

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He wasn't writing with the mindset of Ben being a focus character. But... it's my speculation that in writing Dark Nest and Legacy of the Force, in the back of his mind after Legacy of the Force, Anakin Solo was going to be the main character to take over for Luke -- and he would be the same age as Ben.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh Ben have plenty of friends (like Ken jr., that red robed jawa, and what's-her-name [face_thinking] that half-bothan) it is just that, like Brakiss or what's-his-name in the Jedi Academy, they are just not mentioned

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah, Ben has plenty of friends, they just aren't at the Jedi temple and thus not in the story.

23. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    *ears perk up*
    Someone say something?

Barriss_Coffee, Vialco and Gamiel like this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Hej, don't you remember Ken jr.? He was hanging around the temple all the time, just like is father and that Tigris (spelling?) fellow

25. The Compeer

Jun 12, 2013
    You know, with much more of this thread's three pages being devoted to talking about Ben and his characterization, and very little of it about the two characters in the thread title, I think I can definitively say that my one silly suggestion from page one has thoroughly derailed this thread.

Is there some sort of medal for this?