main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What the Sea Left - Siriwan, What's in a Name Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: What the Sea Left
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Siri
    Timeframe: Post Secrets of the Jedi
    Summary: Response to What?s In a Name? Challenge, no summary due to spoilers for a book.
    Author?s Note: This contains spoilers for the book Secrets of the Jedi. If you have not read this book and do not wish to have the ending ruined, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER!

What the Sea Left

Obi-Wan was silent as he watched the ebb and flow of the tide. He stood at the edge of a sea, soft blue in the sunlight. He was alone here, having curtly informed the council and his Padawan that he did not want or need any company.

Master Yoda had stared at him and seen too much. But in his wisdom, he had merely nodded and given him permission to do what he needed to do. Anakin had seemed unaware of his Master?s pain, or perhaps he no longer cared. Either way, he had not protested at being left alone on Coruscant.

The thought of doing this under their scrutiny was more than he could bear. He could not tolerate to see their pity or curiosity as he said his final farewells. His grief was his alone.

It was too sacred to be shared with anyone.

There was one he might have turned to in this time of heartache. Only one who might have understood that he felt like a part of him had been ripped out, leaving a permanent void. But she was gone and he was alone ? forever adrift and incomplete.

The wound left by her absence went soul deep.

Being here, at the edge of this tranquil sea, brought him some measure of acceptance. True happiness was beyond his reach now, but he hoped with time he might find that the worst of his pain was dulled, its cutting edges worn down by the passage of long and lonely years.

Each moment that passed without her, each time his heart beat while hers did not, he felt the crushing presence of his grief. Siri was dead?Siri was dead?Siri was dead.

He could not seem to wrap his mind around that reality; nor did he want to.

The galaxy was at war, his Padawan was tottering on the edge of an abyss he could not even identify, and yet all he could feel was this aching sense of loss for what might have been. Standing here at the edge of this sea, he could think only of her and what had left behind in her absence.

The call of a seabird disturbed him from his unhappy musings. Looking up, he squinted against the power of the sun.

Siri had been all the colors of this place, he thought. The blond of her hair was in the sunshine that beat down on him, warming him against his will. He did not want to feel that warmth; it seemed a betrayal of the love he could finally confess. The blue of her eyes reflected back at him in the peaceful waters that were just now brushing up against his boots. Cool and calm, just like Siri herself. But beneath the calm surface of this ocean a lively turbulence seethed. Just like his Siri?

Only now could he claim her, and only in his most secret thoughts.

Forbidden to love and yet compelled to do so, they had been torn by the feelings that flared between them. Dutifully, they had chosen to live as Jedi and not as lovers. Duty above desire, responsibility above yearning, they had bowed to their obligations and remained silent on what their hearts knew.

A sob welled up within him as he opened the delicately carved box. He had carved it himself in tribute to her, one last gift from Obi-Wan to Siri, man to woman. Just this once, they would give homage to their love above their duty.

He turned it over and watched the gray dust and ash fall down to the waves. He sent his Siri back to the sea she had always loved. Raising his eyes to the skies above, he called out her name on a note of longing that roused the seabirds from their solitary flights.

The waves took her ashes out to sea, the soft slap of the water on his boots making him wince. He fell to his knees in the surf, letting the salt sting at his flesh. He accepted the pain and found comfort in its sharp embrace.

Kneeling in the waters on which he w

2. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    First of all...what is up with this thing about the women whom the Jedi love always dying?! I mean, really! Qui-Gon finally has the gumption to tell Tahl what's in his heart, and boom! She's dead. Then Obi-Wan loses Siri. And we're not even gonna talk about Anakin and his little angel....

Word to the wise, ladies: don't let a Jedi fall in love with you! Or you're doomed! DOOMED!!!

*sob* :_| I'm too verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves.

3. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, I haven't read it yet, because I don't have the book over here with me yet. But, I will read this as soon as I know the ending.

I am so glad you wrote a Siriwan. [face_love]

4. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    :_| :_|

That was so beautiful!! So sad and so true to Obi-Wan and Siri.

I had an idea long before the book came out that she wouldn't make it in the end, but it still sucked that she died. Anyway, I think I'm going to be like o_e, who denies that Xan ever died in the series. Siri never died, either. [face_whistling]

Nope, never happened. Instead she manages to run off to Tatooine with Obi and they have a quiet little life together. Yep, that's it...that's the real story. :D

Nice AU you have here, VaderLVR. :D

[face_whistling]

5. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    There was one he might have turned to in this time of heartache. Only one who might have understood that he felt like a part of him had been ripped out, leaving a permanent void. But she was gone and he was alone ? forever adrift and incomplete.

Forbidden to love and yet compelled to do so, they had been torn by the feelings that flared between them. Dutifully, they had chosen to live as Jedi and not as lovers. Duty above desire, responsibility above yearning, they had bowed to their obligations and remained silent on what their hearts knew.

My heart ached for them both in this piece. :_| :_|

Your vignettes are always so lyrical, so poetic, and this one was no excpetion. :D

6. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Being here, at the edge of this tranquil sea, brought him some measure of acceptance. True happiness was beyond his reach now, but he hoped with time he might find that the worst of his pain was dulled, its cutting edges worn down by the passage of long and lonely years.

:_| I read this book and I still don't believe it! Nope, it didn't happen! [face_whistling] I'm with Jedikma on this one. Fingers in ears...la, la, la, la...

7. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

One word...mind blowing

8. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    A Siriwan? VL I'm so disappointed in you. :( ;)

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    obi_ew Jedikma did it! She twisted my arm really hard (I heard something snap, I swear I did!) and then she told me she would give me a wet willy in my ear if I didn't do it! She got that idea from Blindman and she's ruthless! Oh, the agony! [face_praying] I still have nightmares! [face_batting]

10. Siri-Wan-Kenobi

Siri-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2005
    Whhhyy did she have to die!! :_|
    This was really great sum up i think. To me , Jude Watson left the ending a bit rushed and full of holes.
    Viggies like these are great in filling those holes. Soo sad, but i think they are needed!
    =D=
    Great job VaderLVR64! This was very beautiful!

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    agentj The survival rate isn't so hot, is it? ;)

Master_Noi What can I say, it's Jedikma's fault!

Jedikma Yep, definitely an AU! [face_whistling]

Gina Thank you! Now, go write more on Beast! I mean it, young lady! Move it! :p

AnakinsHeir We can sing our song of denial together!

sdhfs One word, THANKS! [:D]

obi_ew Well, I wanted to write one about you. But now she's dead and he's free... For you! [face_devil]

Siri-Wan-Kenobi Yeah, I felt a bit cheated. Not to mention that the storyline got me mad! [face_frustrated]

12. Master_Talek

Master_Talek Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 3, 2005
    I'm going with the denial people here. *Stuffs fingers in ears* Lalalalala.....

13. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    :_| [face_love] =D= ...about sums up my reaction. ;) Beautiful work. I love the melancholy in this story - the ebb and flow of the sea is a wonderful metaphor for such a tragedy. I adored the book (so much angst!), and this story flows so perfectly I could print it and add it into the end. You've captured his reaction so well here... poor Obi. :(

Amazing writing as always - thanks for sharing. :D

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Master_Talek I'll sing, too! And we can ignore canon together! [face_whistling]

Knight_Aragorn Thank you! I love your work SO much and to think you enjoyed this is a big boost to my fragile ego! [face_blush]

15. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh.... Can't see screen. Tears in eyes. World extremely blurry... Must formulate a response...

:_|

This was wonderful!! Gah, so angsty - and I can't help but love it!! There's just something so lovely about a story that makes your heart ache.

Great, great job!! And I'm going to join you all on the "pretending it didn't happen" train. Hope you have room for one more!

16. DarthMousche

DarthMousche Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    :_|

I'm glad this was brought up so I could see it. You tied together his emotions and the sea images beautifully, and I love that he got to give her a sendoff and was able to take this moment away from being a Jedi.

Add me to the ranks of those in denial, though. [face_devil]

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was so very sad VaderLVR, poor, poor Obi-Wan. Someone must really comfort him.

I must agree with agentj about Jedi falling in love only to have the women die. Whsat are they SW extras? And look, it's JW again. Arrrggghh, does she have nothing better to do with these characters then kill them off? It's be so much more interesting to see these character live with the choices they make.

18. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I'm really aching, Kim :_| That was beautifully done! =D=

19. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Aww this is so sad but so good. Poor poor Siri, why did she have to die? And poor Obi-Wan being left. :_| Wonderful job in showing his emotions!

20. salrianna_miller

salrianna_miller Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    oh that was so sad :_|, but it was perfect at the same time!=D=

21. kenobiwanobi

kenobiwanobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    I am flooding the ocean with tears myself..Awwwww:_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.