main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC What the World thinks of America

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarkJediTJ, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Americans bet the Nazi
    Americans became the Nazi?

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Random, but with some actual fact behind it for once. :p

I believe Dubya has been somehow linked to the Nazis...it's tenuous, but I'll try and find the information on it.

3. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    He's stupid and easy to make fun of but is popular among an overwhelming majority of his silly people.

Hitler was stupid and easy to make fun of but was popular among an overwhelming majority of his silly people.

They both Empires.

They both invade other country's without provocation.

They both ignore international (geneva etc) conventions and articles of peaceful conduct in order to have own way.

Both thought themselves to be teh superior race.

OMGOMGOMG!!! It's a correlation111!

4. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Both thought themselves to be teh superior race.

You mean we aren't? :(

5. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I do love how patriotic Americans are.

We lack that here at times.

6. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    It's sickening. It's really, really sickening. We have patriotism for (mostly) all the right reasons and it's not overbearing in society... much, much better.

7. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    America = full o bastards

Simple...

8. __angel__

__angel__ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2003
    Patriotism is fine in small doses, but it can become cloying when people become obsessed. I salute the laid back approach Australians have towards it!

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Patriotism in the American sense and in the "national duty" the Herald Sun espoused we had to go and greet the returned invaders of Iraq with waving flags and hollow platitudes at their bravery at having murdered foreigners on their own land, is sickening, and the most insidious form of mass indoctrination and control since organised religion.

Patriotism in the "cheer your footy team" or the "I'll buy Dick Smith to support Australian Farmers" sense is fine, because it is a THINKING loyalty, it has a solid reasoning and logic to it, and isn't just blind support no matter the legitimacy or truth behind the national interest.

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Patriotism is a virtue of the damned.

And I think it was Isenhower who said:

"Hitler invented pre-emptive war. I wouldn't trust anyone who talks about pre-emptive war."

And i shall gladly add that line to my sig!!!!!

11. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    America is such a proud nation.

Just a pity they are so into waging war everywhere that is not America!

12. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Some wonderful quotes to emerge from the fascinating but all too short documentary.

"To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a Hammer."

Could America's core problem been that through the Cold War, all their major initatives and drives have been military in nature, with most Scientific breakthrough's simply in lieu of better and more efficent warfare.

The problem may be that a nation weened on the teet of War has a culture and attitude so akin to warfare, with their military superiority SO far ahead of any other field: they have nothing else to turn to for a source of pride, or a source of comfort, of superiority.

An interesting notion.

Also, astonishing to see that more South Korean's believe America to be a greater threat then North Korea. Shows what the News ISN'T telling us, especially the story of the American soldiers escaping scot free after killing those two children because of American intervention into domestic and international law. Shocking and disgusting.

The British MP who resigned spoke well, as did Imran Kahn when interviewed.

Another good comparision from the Palestinian negotiator recounting when he was 7 years old, and the Israeli's occupied his home of Jericho.

All those years ago, and the Americans do nothing to end the occupation of Muslim's on muslim land. Instead, they give the Jews tanks, weapons, and funding to continue their occupation.

Yet when the Arab nation of Iraq occupies Kuwait, look at how swift the response was?

An underlying hypocrisy becomes evident. When it is either the Jewish people or Oil at stake, the Americans rush in to help whenever they can.

For Arabs? They do nothing. They are selective about their application of those outstanding morals and ethics Dubya espouses as being so important to him, that he says to justify his trepidations in the middle east.

"We move to impose our values, but we must not impose our culture." - Dubya.

Sadly, everywhere is being Americanised with their culture, but their values are being imposed only selectively. The Jews do as they please with American backing whilst the Iraqi's where smacked down for doing the same to Kuwait

Why has nothing been done to end the suffering of the Palestinian people? Why has nothing been done to help the Chechyans as they are slaughted?

Why?

Because they are Arabs, and racist or otherwise, that makes them less important as Vote winners, and less important to the Zionist Congress of America, and the Oil hungry populace they rule.

13. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The gun is only as dangerous as the man holding it!

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    well said PoT

has anyone even noticed our little sigs?

15. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I hope Arnie becomes President one day despite the fact that the constitution will have to change. He represents the country and freedom/success so well

16. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I think it'd be great, just so that we become one step closer to the utopian society of Demolition Man.

Why would the constitution have to be changed, though?

17. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    The constitution states that the president must have been born in the US.

18. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    ... which is one of the reasons that the majority of American presidents (or bugger me if it isn't all of them) have been white, upper class snobs, completely out of touch with the common man. Clinton was one of the few men to have been elected President of the USA without first being a millionaire (or someone of great wealth given their time). Yet Clinton had huge corporate backing and tended to favour companies who helped him gain office.

It's a sick society, but PoT has summed it up fairly well. What he failed to mention is how violence can be interpreted to be constitutionalised in the states. One can take the violent notion back beyond the Cold War and look at how the country was founded, then how civil war marred it's birth on the world's stage, then further how it indulged itself in both world wars and claimed to be the primary victor in the Second World War. It's people have long been bred on fear and the need to "defend" themselves, by any means necessary. It's a pity they don't put as much of their scientific efforts into disease research.

19. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Arnie is the American success story!!

An imigrant coimng over, hardly speaking English and making it big! A self made man. Why would you not aspire to his success?

20. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    The gun is only as dangerous as the man holding it!

Not true, I have seen a monkey holding a revolver. very. scary. sight.

I never knew it was the once great PoT who came up with the line that is now in my sig!

:_|

21. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Poor America cops it all!

22. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    As an American, I feel the need to speak up here... We aren't ALL dirty. I just took a bath. :p

As a person on 'the inside' (American) I have to agree with most of the views posted here. I do take exception to a couple though. There was a comment about WW2 & our Defense at all cost. There was also the jabs at our 'Patriotism'. Before WW2 & pre 9/11 U.S. patriotism was at (in my opinion) an all time low. After we were attacked at pearl harbor & in NY, patriotism soared to an all time high as well as our feeling the need to defend ourselves & strike back. I supported the Afgan war as there was credible evidence to support that they were responsible for the NY attack. As far as Iraq ... That's another story. I agree that Hussein was another Hitler but he was abusing his own country & not a direct threat to the U.S.

Right after 9/11, every business, home & car had a flag flying from it & most people wore flag pins. Now, unless the business has a flagpole, most flags have gone as well as at most homes. You would be lucky to see a flag on one car in a hundred & most people don't wear their pins anymore.

Is National Pride a big deal to me as an individual? Yes. That is why I was a Military Police officer in the U. S. Army & why I am a Police Officer now. Maybe It's because I was born on the 4th of July. Do I go around attacking & berating people who don't show their 'Spirit'? No. I still believe we are a country founded on the principles of Freedom, Liberty & Justice for All. Does it always work out the way? No. But as an individual, I do my best to work towards that goal every day & try to defend those ideas I personally dislike with as much effort as I do those I agree with.

I honestly didn't mean this to be a preachy thread, just an attempt to bring a more balanced view to your discussions. If I have offended anyone with my comments, I apologize now. It's just that patriotism is just a touchy subject for me. It could bebecause I was born on the 4th of July or the fact that 9/11 is still fresh in my memory. I hope it never happens to you or anyone else ever again, but if it does, then come talk to me & I hope we can be friends.

23. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    ]Do I go around attacking & berating people who don't show their 'Spirit'? No. I still believe we are a country founded on the principles of Freedom, Liberty & Justice for All. Does it always work out the way? No. But as an individual, I do my best to work towards that goal every day & try to defend those ideas I personally dislike with as much effort as I do those I agree with.

This shows you to be that rare bird known as a thinking individual, who understands the world around him. Sadly, you are one of what I have observed to be a damned minority in the States, compared to the plethora of idiots whole be "patriotic" and "love their country" without cause or care. They are the best and don't argue!

If I knew however, how July 4 (hoorah we killed lots of people to get a constitution that like communism, is a great ideas but has been abused in practice) or September 11 (Hoorah we got psychologically scarred a bit so we can legitimise slaughtering another million or so!) are supposed to be excuses for patriotism, which serves no purpose but to silence dissension and prop up a Government's power in War time.

Patriotism is insidious, it is the closest thing a concept to get to evil. Without thinking, people follow blindly, swing to acts of violence and rage, and proudly strut as if they truly ARE superior to everyone else. An obnoxiously arrogant concept to be sure, as humility is purportedly one of the greatest virtues of the superior.

It is never excused and never a good thing, unless your aim is to create a fascist state or to dominate another nation through War.

But hey, as Sinclair Lewis said about his beloved US after the rise of popularist Fascism: "It can't happen here...can it?"

24. Shadow-Knight

Shadow-Knight Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2002
    Dear POT,
    As another American, like Emerald, with so-called 'inside information' I have got to take up just a few points in your last post.
    First, while I agree that patriotism is an insidious force, perhaps as detrimental to the development of a peaceful world as religion, it is a natural condition of humanity. We all (humans) will at times revert to tribalistic forms of organization and response, such as in the wake of immense natural disasters, times of war, famine, pestilence, crisis, and certainly following a massive attack on our homes.
    I do not think you realize the impact of 9-11 on America. Yes, we are fat, lazy, greedy, selfish, pig-headed, and run by a lousy government with a president who illegally gained office, but everybody has problems, right? :)
    But 3,000 civilians killed? Ask yourself how you might feel if it had happened in Canberra or Sydney. It hurt, and not because they attacked the NATION, but because our neighbors, our friends, our family suffered and died for no sin greater than going to work. Our outrage was a reasonable response. Furthermore, I feel compelled to point out, that we as Americans are not responsible for every action of our leaders. I was personally opposed to both "wars" in the Gulf, for one was about oil and money, and the other about a witch-hunt the good Mr. Bush, Jr. has begun to distract us from our real problems and to secure a legitimate electoral victory in the next election.
    Oops, sorry, I just realized how incredibly long-winded (long-worded?) this post has become! My apologies, I shall endeavor to be more brief in the future.

25. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Civilians are an acceptable casualty in true war. The sword must be struck into the heart of the population beyond the military. Fear must be induced everywhere. One does not fight the army, he fights the country

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.