main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC What the World thinks of America

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarkJediTJ, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Straight out of The Beginner's Guide to Terrorism. ;)

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Common military way. A war is to be won, not just to be fought.

3. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    But 3,000 civilians killed? Ask yourself how you might feel if it had happened in Canberra or Sydney

Invasion of another country that may or may not have been behind the attacks is not an acceptable way to take out grief.

4. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Is there an acceptable way to wage war in which people of both sides die fighting for a cause?

In true war civilians are acceptable casualties and their targeting causes terror amongst the general population (Terrorism) and thus undercuts the strength of the opposing nation.

5. Shadow-Knight

Shadow-Knight Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2002
    Boogie Man,
    Are you referring to the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan? Because I agree wholeheartedly with you if you are talking about Iraq. The fact of the matter is; however, that reason did not enter into the conversation. Pres. Bush used a tactic known as "look at the monkey" which confused most Americans into believing that Iraq did have both WMD and connections to Al-Qaida. I sincereley regret that my countrymen can be so easily misled.
    And as to Sith Lord Mixo's repeated admonishments that terror and the breaking of a nation will being intrinsic to war, I agree. However, that does not make the deaths of civilians any easier to stomach. And I would be remiss if I did not point out that the tactic failed to accomplish much of anything. It will take long, endless years of that kind of tactic being done on a near-continual basis to demoralize our country.
    You have to understand that the whole "fear" thing doesn't work well here if it is a one-shot deal. We just get really, really p*ss*d off. If they had run continual attacks against our interests since 9-11 AND utilized sleeper cells so that we were always suspicious of our neighbors, then it would work against us.
    But a one-off attack against one civilian target and one military one, followed by nothing works against them, they have given us time to gain momentum. They also didn't really expect us to show up in Afghanistan, but here they must have forgotten Pearl Harbor. We may be lazy, rude, and seemingly unable to fight, but if attacked, we often respond with overwhelming force.
    Sorry, I'm prattling on again. :)

6. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Hey i do not support war.

7. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Pres. Bush used a tactic known as "look at the monkey" which confused most Americans into believing that Iraq did have both WMD and connections to Al-Qaida.

[face_laugh]

Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, I agree with you completely. It's just that "look at the monkey" fits the situation so well. ;)

8. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Shadow-Knight, i was mainly referring to Afganistan. Although Iraq does fit in nicely with my comment too.

And in regards to your civilian argument, i should probably mention now that i am a pacifist, and therfore do not support any war.

hmm....perhaps bush thought he was the monkey - anyone seen bush-or-ape.com? (or something like that, i can't remember the address)

9. Shadow-Knight

Jun 5, 2002
    No, Boogie, our illustrious President wasn't confused about being a monkey (though it is one of the few things he isn't confused about, but that's what happens when your oil-baron family buys you and Ivy League diploma that you have trouble reading because of the funny letters). Look at the monkey, or LATM, is the single most effective tool of governance ever divised. It worked well during the World Wars, the Cold War, the OJ Simpson War, the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty...hey, wait a minute, maybe we should just declare War on the darned Monkey and have done with it!
    And to Sith Lord Mixo, I never meant to imply that you support war, just to argue against the interpretation of acceptable collateral damage.

Off to Kill the Monkey,
    Love and Kisses, Shadow-Knight!!!

ps--If the monkey makes contact with this board, lull him into a false sense of security by looking at him, and PM me immediately. I and a select force of American WarsGeek Commandos will respond ASAP. He will Pay!

10. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Will there still be Pie and importantly, Beer after this Monkey is killed?

If so, I'm all for it.

11. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Sounds to me like Shadow Knight was offering to buy. :D

12. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    We need proof of ID to drink here, so if you're underage, please obtain fake IDs before returning. Thank you for your cooperation.

13. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I'm tired of people picking on one of the better presidents the United States has had. Any president that continually cuts taxes is OK by me. As to Iraq, anyone who says that this war was not justified is not even worth of being debated, IMHO.

14. Shadow-Knight

Jun 5, 2002
    Get over it, all Presidents get smeared, it is part of the job. I'm tired of people smack-talkin' bout Clinton, dude, he was the best black president we ever had! And as to continually cutting taxes, umm, how's you gonna pay for stuff? Republic Credits? There no good here, we need something more real. And as to Iraq, I never said I didn't support the removal of Saddam, 12 years ago in the original war, but IMHO, this sequel war was based on a load of bantha poodoo. WMD's my white, pasty a**! If the CIA says, "Sir, we think this report is bull**it." That means it is.

15. DarthSikle

Oct 29, 2000
    Clinton, OMG...where do i start?? He set in motion a whole country where lying is the norm

Wall Street scandals, his fault...recession, his fault.. Dude needs to keep his snake in his pants and stay out of politics...damn hillbilly

16. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    As much as we like visitors, there's an entire forum dedicated to debates. It's called the Senate. This is forum is for FF-related discussion, and acts as a community for its members. You're welcome to post here, but please bear in mind that political debates are not the intention of this forum. :)

17. Shadow-Knight

Jun 5, 2002
    Sorry, Hawk, didn't mean to do that, just thought I'd rib him a little for the reaction. Now, can I pick on Aussie leaders for awhile? :)

18. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Can you do it in a fair and objective manner?

...Because if you can, then we don't want you here. :p

19. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2003
    I hate Howard.

20. HandOfThrawn01

HandOfThrawn01 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2003
    There is a simple solution to the worlds problems.

If Australian armed forces were to invade New Zealand (and install a government that would rival Palpatines'), the entire world would unite with dancing in the streets and festivites that lasted several weeks.

You see, it is the unwashed savages that are the Kiwis that cause all of these horrible worldly problems and if we invade their country and put them all in camps, the world would be a better place

;-)

21. EMERALD_GREENE

EMERALD_GREENE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    My fellow Americans. I come before you today to ... Oh my Goodness, what's THAT!?!? LOOK AT THE MONKEY! Sorry for the distraction folks. As I was saying, I come before you today to inform you that, while you were looking at the monkey, we invaded New Zealand for all their many atrosities around the world & installed a more World Friendly Government in the hope of promoting World Peace. The New Zealanders put up a fierce resistance with many killed to no losses of our own. The New Government voted unanimously to rename the country ... THERE'S THAT MONKEY AGAIN! Jar Jar Land & will forever be a Bastion of peace for the Empire er, Republic er, World Order. Yeah, that's it.

(scratches head) I thought the UN was gonna get RID of that monkey ...

22. DarthSikle

Oct 29, 2000
    sorry guys

23. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    They were, but you idiots voted him in as President anyway.

I'm tired of people picking on one of the better presidents the United States has had.

Then please run home and cry about it, but your being "tired" is no sanction on the truth that those without blind ignorance or incompetance can fathom. Your opinion holds no truth value with which to assert Bush Jnr is "one of the better presidents", whilst a plethora of FACTS I can present to you at your discretion, can.

Any president that continually cuts taxes is OK by me.

Then you sir, are a fool. For tax cuts are the lowest common denominator of appeasement for the masses, and you've been suckered in. They do little but deny funding to Health, Education, business and other integral facets of the economy in a desperate and shallow bid to rescue a few votes and retain the incumbents current reign in office. This is the information age, and your on the bloody internet. Get informed, or get out.

As to Iraq, anyone who says that this war was not justified is not even worth of being debated, IMHO.

You have insofar as pertaining to that last post, made two overtly fallacious assertions and ended with the conclusion that anyone able to assess the validity of such assertions to be false as "not even worth of being debated", in of itself a grammatically incorrect statement with a syntax as twisted as your much vaunted Presidents.

Please go and find yourself an education, and whilst your at it an opinion of your own. Uncle Sam posters can teach you only so much.

Until such a time, you can take your meaningless tripe back to your neighbourhood of infidels and tell it to them. We are not interested in propaganda or hollow, shabby rhetoric here.

24. DarthSikle

Oct 29, 2000
    Protege-of-Thrawn:

[face_laugh]

Maybe when you grow up and enter the real world you'll understand a litlle better. Or was that too twisted a syntax???

Any country that taxes a worker's income over 50% needs to slash taxes as this stiles innovation and produces a deflated work ethic.

As to health care?? Get a job and work for it like I do. i do not want to fund a penny in health care for the poor.

As for Iraq? I am PROUD that my president had the guts to do what was right not just for the US but for the whole blasted world.

As for my education, don't go there. Being 18, I'm sure my level of education surpasses yours and probably will your entire life.

This bad attitude you have when people don't agree with you?? You didn't play with others well in the playground did you??

25. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Let us steer away from the war at the moment (it's PoT's pet topic) and focus upon exactly what Sickle is raising: Liberalism, in it's truest form.

From what I can gather, his ideology is simple: I work for it, I pay for it, I can afford it. If someone else can't afford it, that is their problem, go out and get a job because I'm enjoying my money over here. Essentially Sickle, it's a really good theory (as with most political theories) and tax cuts are more than appeasement as PoT puts it, they make sense. Why shouldn't you enjoy the money that you earnt? Why should the government take my money?

The problem that you fall into, however, is that if you are an American, like Sickle, you live in a country founded upon the Christian principles. Good liberalism is not good Christianity. Whilst Mr Bush may give you a tax cut, it means that your fellow American (be they living in the slums of Chicago, the poor rural areas of Alabama or the Ghettos in Detroit) is denied basic access to medical care, a decent education (which may enable them to change their fortunes and those of their children) or a basic standard of living.

If you are to live as "a good American", should you not follow Christian values first? I'm confused Sickle... Did Jesus not give to the poor, feed the hungry, teach the masses and heal the sick? Does your country not pride itself on being the one true light of Christian democracy in its most powerful form? Enlighten me, then, how you can be a good American (and indeed have a good American president) if you enjoy tax cuts that undermine your giving Christian spirit and deny basic facilities to fellow Americans?

... or maybe it's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.