main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What they were saying in 1983 on the internet

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by djslybri, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djslybri

djslybri Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    I found this link a few months ago and wanted to share it with all of you. As you know, the internet was extremely limited back in 1983, and there certainly was no site like this for all of us to go off on Star Wars.

This is a link to a user group that discussed ROTJ at the time it came out in 1983. I think you will enjoy reading the immediate reactions of those who just saw ROTJ. I especially liked the post where the guy talked about going all the way to Atlanta because that was the only 70mm theatre around, not unlike our efforts to see this movie in digital.

In sum, I think you'll agree that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Click here to read the thread

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    "What were they saying on the internet in 1983"

they were probably saying ,"hello, is there anybody home?"

ooops, missed the link., thanks

3. ypsmab

ypsmab Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2005
    This is so cool to look back on...reactions to the last film in the OT sound alot like reactions to TPM, ATOC and now, ROTS (on some boards *cough* AICN *cough*)

Way cool on the ROTS eve.

Thanks for the link!

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    there was no internet in 1983.

5. djslybri

djslybri Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    Duggy,

If you clicked on the link, you'd have seen what they were saying.

The internet was around in 1983. It just didn't have many users, and access was shoddy at best. Heck, I had a Commodore 64 in the 80's, and that didn't have the storage capability that I now have on a USB key.

Besides, there has to be many people like me here who dialed into a BBS around 10 years ago. Things have advanced quite a bit, as we all know.

I thought this would be fun to share the night before. If you don't agree so be it. I have a feeling that many people, especially those my age (33) will surely enjoy it.

6. Darth_Unchained

Darth_Unchained Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2005
    Those have got to be B.S. The internet (as we know it) didn't even exist back then, at least not for public use. The only groups that utilized this technology during this time period were colleges and the military.

7. darkvanvan

darkvanvan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2003
    Are you sure that internet was working 1983
    I really don't think that is possible...

8. DruffMaul

DruffMaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 1999
    There were boat loads of people on the net back then. But almost all of them were accessing it from college campus mainframes.

You people really need to bone up on your internet history. It's been around for more than 30 years. It's just that it wasn't really widely accessible to the public until about 10 years ago.

9. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Duggy,

If you clicked on the link, you'd have seen what they were saying.

Got it. But it was still funny. lol

10. DeePsIx18

DeePsIx18 Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    There was no "internet" per se, but there were message boards on news servers that you dial into, to share data and text, that is such an awesome link, btw...

11. ypsmab

ypsmab Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2005
    Darth_Unchained,

If you read the posts, you'll see that they're posts from people working at colleges, research labs and TELCO's.

12. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    I lived during 1983. I can tell you from experience there was no internet. Atari, yes.

13. Shaak-Fan

Shaak-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2005
    They had the internet back in 83!?

But it very interesting reading what fans said back then. Alot of the questions they were asking are still being debated now.

14. Darth_Unchained

May 9, 2005
    The USSR launches Sputnik, the first artificial earth satellite. In response,the United States forms the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) within theDepartment of Defense (DoD) to establish US lead in science and technology applicable to the military.

Backbones: None - Hosts: None
    RAND Paul Baran, of the RAND Corporation (a government agency), was commissioned by the U.S. Air Force to do a study on how it could maintain its command and control over its missiles and bombers, after a nuclear attack. This was to be a military research network that could survive a nuclear strike, decentralized so that if any locations (cities) in the U.S. were attacked, the military could still have control of nuclear arms for a counter-attack.

Baran's finished document described several ways to accomplish this. His final proposal was a packet switched network.

"Packet switching is the breaking down of data into datagrams or packets that are labeled to indicate the origin and the destination of the information and the forwarding of these packets from one computer to another computer until the information arrives at its final destination computer. This was crucial to the realization of a computer network. If packets are lost at any given point, the message can be resent by the originator."
    Backbones: None - Hosts: None
    ARPA awarded the ARPANET contract to BBN. BBN had selected a Honeywell minicomputer as the base on which they would build the switch. The physical network was constructed in 1969, linking four nodes: University of California at Los Angeles, SRI (in Stanford), University of California at Santa Barbara, and University of Utah. The network was wired together via 50 Kbps circuits.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET - Hosts: 4
    The first e-mail program was created by Ray Tomlinson of BBN.

The Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) was renamed The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (or DARPA)

ARPANET was currently using the Network Control Protocol or NCP to transfer data. This allowed communications between hosts running on the same network.

Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET - Hosts: 23
    Development began on the protocol later to be called TCP/IP, it was developed by a group headed by Vinton Cerf from Stanford and Bob Kahn from DARPA. This new protocol was to allow diverse computer networks to interconnect and communicate with each other.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET - Hosts: 23+

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    more accurately, that is a college intranet

EDIT: I noticed BobTheGoon was around even back then, annoying people with his petty redirections

16. DeePsIx18

DeePsIx18 Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    oh! University of Texas...that explains it!!
    DISCLAIMER:
    Nothing against all the rest of you but if you let this
    idiot loose with a terminal...well...something's wrong!!

These poster are posting to a newsgroup in the early 80's

This is proof enough for me,

: "oh! University of Texas...that explains it!!
    DISCLAIMER:
    Nothing against all the rest of you but if you let this
    idiot loose with a terminal...well...something's wrong!!"

No normal person still calls a computer a terminal...

17. Darth_Unchained

May 9, 2005
    First Use of term Internet by Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn in paper on Transmission Control Protocol.

Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET - Hosts: 23+
    Dr. Robert M. Metcalfe develops Ethernet, which allowed coaxial cable to move data extremely fast. This was a crucial component to the development of LANs.

The packet satellite project went into practical use. SATNET, Atlantic packet Satellite network, was born. This network linked the United States with Europe.Surprisingly, it used INTELSAT satellites that were owned by a consortium of countries and not exclusively the United States government.

UUCP (Unix-to-Unix CoPy) developed at AT&T Bell Labs and distributed with UNIX one year later.

The Department of Defense began to experiment with the TCP/IP protocol and soon decided to require it for use on ARPANET.

Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 111+
    USENET (the decentralized news group network) was created by Steve Bellovin, a graduate student at University of North Carolina, and programmers Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis. It was based on UUCP.

The Creation of BITNET, by IBM, "Because its Time Network", introduced the "store and forward" network. It was used for email and listservs.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 111+

National Science Foundation created backbone called CSNET 56 Kbps network for institutions without access to ARPANET. Vinton Cerf proposed a plan for an inter-network connection between CSNET and the ARPANET.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 213

Internet Activities Board (IAB) was created in 1983.

On January 1st, every machine connected to ARPANET had to use TCP/IP. TCP/IP became the core Internet protocol and replaced NCP entirely.

The University of Wisconsin created Domain Name System (DNS). This allowed packets to be directed to a domain name, which would be translated by the server database into the corresponding IP number. This made it much easier for people to access other servers, because they no longer had to remember numbers.

Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 562

18. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Where the hell are you guys gettin this stuff so fast?

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    That's more of a newsgroup than anything else, but it is part of the internet, and it DID exist back in '83.

20. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    ah yes, the internet in '83. I remember those SW vs ET flame wars well

21. Darth_Unchained

May 9, 2005
    The ARPANET was divided into two networks: MILNET and ARPANET. MILNET was to serve the needs of the military and ARPANET to support the advanced research component, Department of Defense continued to support both networks.

Upgrade to CSNET was contracted to MCI. New circuits would be T1 lines,1.5 Mbps which is twenty-five times faster than the old 56 Kbps lines. IBM would provide advanced routers and Merit would manage the network. New network was to be called NSFNET (National Science Foundation Network), and old lines were to remain called CSNET.

Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 1024
    The National Science Foundation began deploying its new T1 lines, which would be finished by 1988.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, 1.544Mbps (T1) NSFNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 1961
    The Internet Engineering Task Force or IETF was created to serve as a forum for technical coordination by contractors for DARPA working on ARPANET, US Defense Data Network (DDN), and the Internet core gateway system.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, 1.544Mbps (T1) NSFNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 2308
    BITNET and CSNET merged to form the Corporation for Research and Educational Networking (CREN), another work of the National Science Foundation.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, 1.544Mbps (T1) NSFNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 28,174
    Soon after the completion of the T1 NSFNET backbone, traffic increased so quickly that plans immediately began on upgrading the network again.
    Backbones: 50Kbps ARPANET, 56Kbps CSNET, 1.544Mbps (T1) NSFNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 56,000

(Updated 8/2001) Merit, IBM and MCI formed a not for profit corporation called ANS, Advanced Network & Services, which was to conduct research into high speed networking. It soon came up with the concept of the T3, a 45 Mbps line. NSF quickly adopted the new network and by the end of 1991 all of its sites were connected by this new backbone.

While the T3 lines were being constructed, the Department of Defense disbanded the ARPANET and it was replaced by the NSFNET backbone. The original 50Kbs lines of ARPANET were taken out of service.

Tim Berners-Lee and CERN in Geneva implements a hypertext system to provide efficient information access to the members of the international high-energy physics community.
    Backbones: 56Kbps CSNET, 1.544Mbps (T1) NSFNET, plus satellite and radio connections - Hosts: 313,000

22. Drworm2002

Drworm2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2005
    There was no Internet that would allow people to post like that. Plus Google didn't come out till about...what...ten years ago...if even that. I don't even think it has been that long.

23. DruffMaul

DruffMaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 1999
    No normal person still calls a computer a terminal...

They would if they were using a mainframe terminal, which is what those people were using back then. Terminals do still exist.

24. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    those were computers that were connected like the internet, but they dont define the internet as we see it today.

those were black and white computers, with no graphics but all text. much like you see in tron the movie.

that was not the internet.

25. PalpatineisaGangsta

PalpatineisaGangsta Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2004
    Reactor Shaft (SPOILER)
    Only 1 message in topic - view as tree

brt Jun 6 1983, 9:26 am show options
    Newsgroups: net.movies.sw
    Date: Mon, 6-Jun-83 09:26:35 EDT
    Local: Mon,Jun 6 1983 9:26 am
    Subject: Re: Reactor Shaft (SPOILER)
    Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

1. The throne room is at the top of a very tall tower ( we actually get to see
    the tower once ). The elevator ( which DV uses all the time ) runs inside
    ( or at least along ) the wall of the tower . There is plenty of space left
    for the shaft . Why a shaft ? For the Emperor to draw power for those blue
    bolts , of course ! It takes a good deal of power to punch through the air
    ( with the greatest of ease .... there , I just couldn't resist it .... ).

2. The force doesn't seem to care all that much for blood relationships .
    Yes , I know , Luke , Leia and Anakin and all that sort of thing . But
    guess what folks , Uncle Owen is O-W-K's brother !!!!! (read the book
    carefully ) . That tiny bit of wisdom is disclosed by Obi-Wan himself in the
    scene right after Yoda's death , if I remember correctly ....

Now back to my real work....
    Ben Reytblat (...!pyuxvv!brt)

Haha. This is an awesome find. It's hilarious because we know it's not true but it is interesting to see what the the Super Oldbies of Star Wars message boards were discussing.

Obi-Wan is Owen's brother...Palpatine getting the power for his force lightning from the shaft. Wow, I wonder what other crazy things Star Wars fans had to say back then without the Internet to gather information.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.