main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What things about the Sith should be Explored in Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by nld3, Aug 24, 2013.

?

What things about the Sith should be Explored in Episode 7?

1. Sith History

78 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Sith Temple

46 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. Sith Army

25 vote(s)
    17.4%
  4. Sith Training

45 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Origin of the Red Saber

26 vote(s)
    18.1%
  6. New Sith Order : Eliminating the failed Rule of Two.

68 vote(s)
    47.2%
  7. Other

27 vote(s)
    18.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    It wasn't about refraining from killing each other. It had more to do with their inability to actually win a particularly war against the Jedi, during Bane's time, and his belief that they were pretty much a dumb group...except for him, of course.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The reason for the Rule of Two, according to the TPM novelization, was infighting:

Darth Maul shifted impatiently. The younger Sith had not yet learned his Master's patience; that would come with time and training. It was patience that had saved the Sith order in the end. It was patience that would give them their victory now over the Jedi.

The Sith who had survived when all of his fellows had died had understood that. He had adopted patience as a virtue when the others had forsaken it. He had adopted cunning, stealth, and subterfuge as the foundation of his way- old Jedi virtues the others had disdained. He stood aside while the Sith tore at each other like kriks and were destroyed. When the carnage was complete, he went into hiding, biding his time, waiting for his chance.

When it was believed all of the Sith were destroyed, he emerged from his concealment. At first he worked alone, but he was growing old and he was the last of his kind. Eventually, he went out in search of an apprentice. Finding one, he trained him to be a Master in his turn, then to find his own apprentice, and so to carry on their work. But there would only be two at any one time. There would be no repetition of the mistakes of the old order, no struggle between Siths warring for power within the cult. Their common enemy was the Jedi, not each other. It was for their war with the Jedi they must save themselves.

The Sith who reinvented the order called himself Darth Bane.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    ROT doesn't prevent infighting. See proof in Darth Plagueis and the OT.

I like Mercury's explanation: He thinks that the ROT was invented to manipulate pupils into not attacking their master and not taking secret apprentices.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    True- that's simply evidence that the Rule of Two didn't do its job. The point being- that TPM gives the reason why the RoT was created.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Indeed. But who knows why it was kept? Some Sith might've actually believed in it while other abused it for their own purposes.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Quite possibly. Plagueis at least believed that the rule was obsolete, in the Darth Plagueis novel.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The ESB commentary explains that the Rule of Two was created to prevent groups of two Sith from ganging up on a third.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    ESB is actually the best proof that Palpatine and Vader didn't really believe in the ROT. Vader would never tell his master that he plans to overthrow him with his new apprentice Luke.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Revan holocron Bane studies in Darth Bane: Path of Destruction gives this as a reason why a Sith should never train more than one student:

"By its very nature, the dark side invites rivalry and strife. This is the greatest strength of the Sith: it culls the weak from our order. Yet this rivalry can also be our greatest weakness. The strong must be careful lest them be overwhelmed by the ambitions of those beneath them working in concert. Any Master who instructs more than one apprentice in the ways of the dark side is a fool. In time the apprentices will unite their strength and overwhelm the Master. It is inevitable. Axiomatic. That is why each Master must have only one student."

10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    What about all the prior Sith who had red sabers before that time? I think they are shown with red sabers, no?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They are in The Old Republic, at least.

I think some are in the Knights of the Old Republic games, as well.

Works set before those, however, have had Sith with lightsaber colours besides red.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I think the rule of two works because Sith let their hatred flow. There is a jealousy issue between the students, kind of like how some children are liked better by one parent over the other. I don't think Sith like to promote favoritism, just effective Sith.

kainee and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    The rule of two is dead and gone. Sidious had Vader, Dooku, Maul, and probably a few we don't know about.

I would love, love, love to see Korriban and the temples with some holocron/sith ghost action.

In addition, an army of Sith would, IMO, be kick-***!

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Something I like about the Rule of Two is that it makes each and every Sith special. Something else I like about the Rule of Two is that nothing's more badass than a a group of only 2 people manipulating a whole galaxy!

15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Under the likely scenario that the new films involve a new Sith threat, I would love to see a group of hero's explore the Sith Temples on Korriban (or whatever "Sith Planet" the writers might use).

I think it would be a great way to expand upon the cave scene from ESB. If a group of young, impressionable Jedi enter into a dark Sith temple, we could get a terrific psychological horror sequence, with different characters seeing visions, or even being breifly "converted" to the dark side. Obviously it wouldn't get too scary, this is Star Wars after all, but it could be a cool, memorable sequence that uses the mythos in interesting ways.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    You can have few Sith without the ROT.

Dra--- and darklordoftech like this.
  17. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I’d like to see an evolution of the Sith in the new trilogy. We’ve seen the stealth, the power, the manipulation, etc.

We’ve seen the crimson swords, the lightening, throwing stuff.

What is the new motivation for the Sith 40 years hence?

What are their reasons to exist?

Galactic domination? Power hunger? Though these are core characterizations, they’re a bit old hat by themselves alone.

What is a direct, imminent threat to the heroes and the galaxy as a whole?

I’ll give you one I’ve been thinking about lately:

Creation of life.

The unnatural ability to create midichlorian rich beings (by misuse of the Force) to be trained as neo-Sith Lords.

Anakin’s very existence is hinted at as being from this source.

What if this knowledge and use of this power is what is the major threat in the ST?

Just look at what one single being of this type was capable of…
    Can you imagine 10?

This would also be a philosophical paradox for any of Anakin Skywalker’s offspring. Luke and any family owe their very existence to this detestable practice that must be stopped. It would make them question their own existence, motivations, and actions. Do you destroy the thing that indirectly made you? How can you condemn something that caused your own birth?

I’d like to see the Sith offer a more complex and advanced threat to the Skywalkers’ and the galaxy as a whole.

(Sorry for overuse of the conjunction “and”. I am at work, lacking the time to self edit for print quality!!)

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You bring up some intriguing ideas, although I'd like to mention that Anakin's existence wasn't a direct result of Plagueis consciously making the decision to create a single being with a spectacular midi-chlorian count. Anakin's birth was a result of Plagueis' unnatural meddling in matters of life and death, the Force's way of responding to the Sith's growing dominance of the Dark Side that lead to the imbalance. But RotS never really elaborated on the specifics of Plagueis' experiments or his actual abilities, outside of his ability to manipulate midi-chlorians to create life, and save others from death. So it could be a reasonable goal of the new Sith to expand on Plagueis' unnatural experiments, to the point where they can perhaps create a super-being of some sort, powerful in the Force and under the new Sith Lord's control (or so they think). It could actually make for an interesting story idea, come to think of it.

The philosophical paradox for the Skywalker line is another great point. I'd like the ST to possess some moral ambiguity, if only a little, and to make the protagonist(s) question the reason for their very existence could be a very tasty plot point. It isn't such a simple black-and-white conflict like in the other six films.

19. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks...

Agreed. In the novel, if memory serves correctly, Plagueis was unsure if he made Anakin or the Force did as a counterbalance to the meddling. Thus Plagueis following around little Ani on Coruscant like a teenage girl at a One Direction aftershow party. He himself was unsure why he was created. He too was looking for answers.

Interestingly enough, Palpatine alludes to the fact that his old master did in fact create Anakin. Palpatine believed he did do it.

This knowledge could be honed to legitimate use by the time of VII. Thus the evolution of the Sith I would like to see. Going to the next level as it were.

Episode Swag and Dra--- like this.
  20. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    In the novel Darth Plagueis, it is pretty clear that neither Plageuis nor Palpatine knew that Anakin was conceived by the Force. In ROTS, Palps was purposely vague on the point, but he knew.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    So true!

22. nld3

nld3 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I agree somewhat. But if you are going to have this ROT in your storyline. There seems to be no one for this mass of Jedi to saber duel with. I think the ROT would work much better if the Lightsaber was widely used by most and a standard weapon with blaster. Like in Lucas's early drafts. The Sith and Jedi are the best at using them. In fact the new comic book The Star Wars is based on Lucas's early draft had many Sith & few Jedi left, but the Saber was a common weapon for all.

23. L0RD VADER

L0RD VADER Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Sith Force(d) coloscopy

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The PT had plenty of Jedi and only two Sith and there was no problem with that.

25. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    It would be great to see Dromund Kaas.