main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What this TV series cannot.... must not... be.....

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vacantlook

vacantlook Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2004
    Sci-fi wouldn't need a deal with fox- they're owned by USA.

Well, The SciFiChannel, USA, Bravo: they're all owned by NBC now.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the point is really that TNG was never first-run on Fox, Fox was essentially showing reruns. That doesn't count, people are looking at first-run genre shows on Fox and the network's track record with those, as opposed to already-successful shows they are just rerunning like TNG or Stargate.

3. Jade40291

Jade40291 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    I think the point is really that TNG was never first-run on Fox

Actually, what started the debate was that where I lived when ST:TNG was in production, the episodes were aired on our local Fox affiliate. They were first run episodes at that time, the show was simply owned by Paramount and licensed out to networks across the country for airtime. Where I lived it was Fox and where the other poster lived it was NBC. But these were the first run episodes at the time. The re-runs came later.

But like I said, it doesn't matter...this is the SW forum. And as far as Fox's track record...they did have success with the X-Files but other sci-fi shows were indeed short lived on that network. Begs another question....should Lucas go the ST route and have Lucasfilm own the series and distribute it as a syndicated show? Hey, its worked for other shows in the past.

4. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    OK.

Before the latest incarnation of "Battlestar Galactica" on Sci-Fi, were any of you on the opposite side of making that series a parasite of the original?

You may say that the Prequels were Parasitical of the "Originals", but Lucas really didn't the "Originals" change all that much, he just added to them, in the Prequels, if you ask me.

Maybe, the guy who "remade/destroyed" Battlestar Galactica took the idea that Luke was, at some point, a female character, and did the same thing with "Starbuck/Stardyke", but I hope there's NO CONNECTION.

5. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>but I hope there's NO CONNECTION<<
    You mean like your post is to the topic at hand?

Aside: For the record, I applauded the coming of a revamped Galactica. That series is great. The original -- not so much.

6. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    I tried to like the new Galactica...I really did. I watched it faithfully almost all season. But in the end I just found it...boring.

But, by the way...what does this have to do with this topic?

7. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Nothing.
    I was just replying as an aside for the heck of it to the guy who wandered in like a street bum with tourettes.

8. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    Nothing.
    I was just replying as an aside for the heck of it to the guy who wandered in like a street bum with tourettes.

ROFLMAO!!!!! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

9. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Remember Young Indiana Jones? Think that only SW.

!snap

10. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    /\/\/\I think that's what most of us are afraid of.

I myself am a little too young to remember the quality of the Young Indiana Jones TV show (it was on when I was like 8 I think), but there are A LOT of fans who don't speak highly of it.

11. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    It will not be first run on the Sci Fi channel. The Broadcast networks can afford to pay a lot more then the Sci Fi channel can. It's a no brainer: Lucas will not sell the show to the Sci Fi channel if he can place it on one the major networks . Even HBO/Showtime could pay a lot more then Sci Fi Channel.
    IMHO Lucas will shop this show around, and take the best deal. There is no love lost between him and 20th Century fox.

12. Jade40291

Mar 4, 2005
    IMHO Lucas will shop this show around, and take the best deal. There is no love lost between him and 20th Century fox.

I agree. In fact when it was announced that TPM was in production, 20th Century Fox was not guaranteed distribution rights, Lucas made them negotiate with other studios. It just happened that they won.

13. JediKink

JediKink Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2005
    Most likely, Fox will give him the best deal, but it all depends on what kind of ratings the company thinks they can get out of it.(not to mention misc, etc., etc., ...)

14. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    Question is if Fox is going to see a Star Wars TV show in the same light as they did the prequels. Fox almost had to get the prequels or suffer a major loss of prestige and credibility in the film business. I don't think that the stakes are quite that high with a Star Wars TV series.
    But I guarantee that the Sci Fi channel will NOT get the series on a first run basis. There is no way the Sci Fi channel could generate the ad revenues that a broadcast channel could. Even HBO could probably not equal that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.