main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to buy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by mxxs, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mxxs

mxxs Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2010
    I want to buy music from the original trilogy. Which CDs or MP3 downloads are the best to buy? I've seen several different choices when searching.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Depends what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a one-disc edition, this disc conducted by Varujan Kojian is for my money the best choice. A punchy, exciting reading of the music with crystal clear recording. There's also a one-disc edition conducted by John Williams that is very good, but I prefer the Kojian.

If you're interested in the original recordings, it still depends. Do you want a great-sounding arrangement of the scores, each score on one disc plus a fourth disc of extras? If so, the Arista box set is what you're looking for. It's fantastic.

The Sony 2-disc editions offer a complete presentation of each score across 2 discs (the Special Editions, anyway, so there are some changes in Return of the Jedi from the original, with "Lapti Nek" being replaced by "Jedi Rocks" for instance), but the mastering job is not impressive, and the sonics are therefore noticeably worse than they were in the Arista box set. This problem is particularly apparent in Return of the Jedi. For shame, Sony. For shame.

So: if you want the complete scores and aren't an audiophile, go with the Sony Special Edition sets. If you're okay with one-disc arrangements of the scores with better sound quality, go for the Arista box set. And if you can only afford a single disc at this time, go for the Kojian-conducted Star Wars Trilogy.

Hope that helped!

P.S. And while you're at it don't forget Joel McNeely's score to Shadows of the Empire.

3. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The 1993 Anthology (Arista box set) is out of print, and while I'm sure they can still be found used, they may be a bit expensive.

In general, the currently available Sony Special Edition discs (first issued in 1997 by RCA) are the most complete and are probably what most Star Wars fans would prefer.

As far as sound quality, it comes down to how you will be listening to them. On an iPod through headphones or on small computer speakers? You may be content with the downloads from iTunes. Otherwise, I would recommend getting the soundtracks on CD. While it is true that there are sound quality differences between the Special Editions and the Anthology, they will be most noticeable on high-end audio gear and by people with very discerning hearing - "audiophiles".

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Oh, there's also another alternative I forgot to mention: if you are interested in concert arrangements of the material rather than necessarily the film version, Charles Gerhardt has recorded all three scores as part of his classic film music series, and they're all interesting interpretations of the material:

Star Wars (and CE3K)
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

5. mxxs

mxxs Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful info.

6. darkerdave

darkerdave Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2010
    There are plenty to choose from as mentioned above. If you want to be a completist (and for a bit of a laugh) there are plenty of Tv/Film Theme orchestra versions of the SW music, mostly rubbish but it's good to hear other orchestras versions of these.

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Many are not great, but the "Throne Room and End Title" from Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops (available on The Ultimate Movie Music Collection) is an excellent rendition of the piece.

8. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    By the way, if you want to wait, we're beginning to hear rumors, though nothing substantiated yet, that there will be a new SW score collection coming out to coincide with the Blu-Ray release of the films. Fingers crossed!

9. darkerdave

darkerdave Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2010
    Not heard that one Mastadge, will have to hunt that one down- thanks for that.

10. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    If you don't mind downloads, you can buy it individually from places like iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/throne-room-end-title-from/id80887313?i=80887307

11. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    there is???

12. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    There is what?

13. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000

New sw collection coming out next year?? I haven't heard any reports if that is true or not.

14. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Only rumors; nothing has been announced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.