main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What to do about Bullies?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi_Xen, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I'm just alerting you to the fact that I made them. Don't read anything into it.

-P!-

2. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Then you forfiet the argument.

3. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Then you forfiet the argument.

I never said that. I'm just going to move in when someone dares me to do something. There is a differnce there.

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, he dared you didn't he?

5. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Sorry not getting into that with you. ;)

6. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I dared you to do what? ?[face_plain]

Stacky, I think he just could not address my points in any concrete way.

-P!-

7. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    We're in agreement.

8. Eagle888

Eagle888 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2000
    UPPERS!!!

9. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    Can we PLEASE get back to the topic!!?? Thank you.

10. Special_Fred

Special_Fred Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Bullies are never going to just disappear. It would be a travesty and a disgrace to punish a child simply for practicing his or her God-given right to self-defense.

11. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Accept for the god given part... I mostly agree.

I hate violence in all forms really. But sometimes it is necessary.

-P!-

12. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Most bullies cannot be reasoned with. The best way to deal with bullies is to read about the life and times of people like Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. and follow their lead.

13. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Bullies are never going to just disappear. It would be a travesty and a disgrace to punish a child simply for practicing his or her God-given right to self-defense.

How many school fights are life-threatening?

How many result in broken bones?

How many result in cuts that need stitches?

How many end in a bloody nose or a black eye?

Obviously, violence in schools is a bad thing, and bullying is not to be tolerated, but it is rare that a fight will escalate to the point of hospitalizing one of the students, and is even rarer in cases where the intended victim avoids confrontation or refuses to engage the bully in fighting back.

In cases where the physical danger to the victim is apparent, the teachers probably should exercise some discretion in punishment, but I think it is good for the official school policy to be punishment for anyone who engages in a fight.

14. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hello? I've been saying for that last 2 pages..IT'S NOT JUST PHYSICAL. I've been left a crying wreck because of some insults thrown at me, some of the stuff they say is so bad.

15. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    I have to agree with those of you who think that fighting back is only a solution if there is an iminent threat of serious harm to you. If they're calling you names, walk a different way, walk into a store. In the 9th and 10th grade, I had to deal with a bunch of jerks who would throw me down a hill behind my school. I'd cut through a mall near my school, the one time that they followed me in trying to insult me, security was on their *** for harrasing customers. If I was having rocks thrown at me, I can understand wanting to fight back, but really you throw a rock back at'em, you've given them justification for throwing more rocks at you, and if you hurt one of them, the others are just gonna want to hurt you more, escalating the situation.

16. Wonka

Wonka Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2004
    The reason I brought this up is because I recently witnessed a man beating his girlfriend in the street and nobody helped her. I felt probably like everyone else, absolutely terrified as this man was clearly tough and would have battered ANYONE that tried to stop him. I called the police and I don't know what happened after that and I just hope the police got the bastard.

Later that day, myself and my friends were in the pub discussing what happened and I called the man a coward. One of my friends then raised what I am raising now "WHY ARE WOMAN BEATERS AND BULLIES AUTOMATICALLY CLASSED AS COWARDS?" my friend then pointed out that everyone in the area of this vicious attack were frightened which made us the cowards.

It then struck me suddenly and I said "You are correct, this man was anything BUT a coward" The conversastion went on for a while and we all had an interesting debate on woman beaters and bullies. We all explained our experiences and we all come to the conclusion that although woman beating and bullying is wrong, the people that do these things are normally very tough.

Yes, it's cowardice to beat a woman in my opinion and I think it's also cowardice to beat people who are weaker than yourself. However, it doesn't mean that the people doing these things are infact cowards because they tend to do other stuff too that is not cowardice like armed robbery and other violent natured crime. It is now obvious to me, and it's obvious to most of us I'm sure that woman beaters and bullies are generally tough people.

I would say most woman beaters and bullies are low lifes, scum bags, idiots, and many other things but coward is not realistic. Although there are always exceptions to the rule, bullies and woman beaters are normally very very tough who are not afraid of anyone despite the cowardice things they might do. I also do believe that the victims of these people are normally cowardice because most of us don't do anything about it.

When it comes to bullies we all like to kid ourselves that they are cowards and only pick on people weaker/smaller. They do pick on people smaller/weaker but bullies often pick on people bigger and they do things that do take alot of guts too which means they are not cowards. Bullies will not run if you stand up to them, they will infact kick the krap out of you if you try and defend yourself.

It's now obvious to me that woman beaters and bullies do the things they do because they are violent natured aggressive people. Most violent prisoners for example have history of bullying and woman beating but the crimes they do prove they are anything BUT cowards. Armed robbery for example is a typical act of a woman beater/bully and although it's a nasty crime, you can't say it's an act of cowardice.

Get angry with my comments if you like and threaten me all you want I don't care. You can all state how you would all beat a woman beater or a bully if you see them in action but you and I know that doing so may well be a completely different story. I'm not praising these people for heavens sake, I'm just stating some truth that is obviously quite painful to admit for most of us. The fact is that woman beaters and bullies are anything BUT cowards.

17. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    but it is rare that a fight will escalate to the point of hospitalizing one of the students,

Sometimes the damage isn't the type that needs a band-aid...mental scars can't be bandaged, they last for years if not life...and that's NOT rare.

You can all state how you would all beat a woman beater or a bully if you see them in action but you and I know that doing so may well be a completely different story.

Who says you have to beat them? Maybe if you had just cried out "HEY STOP! CALL THE COPS, SOMEBODY!!" The guy might have quit. Scream, yell, pick up a stick, do something.

18. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Sometimes the damage isn't the type that needs a band-aid...mental scars can't be bandaged, they last for years if not life...and that's NOT rare.

True, BUT - does retaliating with physical violence help in that situation?

19. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Later that day, myself and my friends were in the pub discussing what happened and I called the man a coward. One of my friends then raised what I am raising now "WHY ARE WOMAN BEATERS AND BULLIES AUTOMATICALLY CLASSED AS COWARDS?" my friend then pointed out that everyone in the area of this vicious attack were frightened which made us the cowards.

It then struck me suddenly and I said "You are correct, this man was anything BUT a coward" The conversastion went on for a while and we all had an interesting debate on woman beaters and bullies. We all explained our experiences and we all come to the conclusion that although woman beating and bullying is wrong, the people that do these things are normally very tough.

Yes, it's cowardice to beat a woman in my opinion and I think it's also cowardice to beat people who are weaker than yourself. However, it doesn't mean that the people doing these things are infact cowards because they tend to do other stuff too that is not cowardice like armed robbery and other violent natured crime. It is now obvious to me, and it's obvious to most of us I'm sure that woman beaters and bullies are generally tough people.

I would say most woman beaters and bullies are low lifes, scum bags, idiots, and many other things but coward is not realistic. Although there are always exceptions to the rule, bullies and woman beaters are normally very very tough who are not afraid of anyone despite the cowardice things they might do. I also do believe that the victims of these people are normally cowardice because most of us don't do anything about it.

When it comes to bullies we all like to kid ourselves that they are cowards and only pick on people weaker/smaller. They do pick on people smaller/weaker but bullies often pick on people bigger and they do things that do take alot of guts too which means they are not cowards. Bullies will not run if you stand up to them, they will infact kick the krap out of you if you try and defend yourself.

It's now obvious to me that woman beaters and bullies do the things they do because they are violent natured aggressive people. Most violent prisoners for example have history of bullying and woman beating but the crimes they do prove they are anything BUT cowards. Armed robbery for example is a typical act of a woman beater/bully and although it's a nasty crime, you can't say it's an act of cowardice.

Get angry with my comments if you like and threaten me all you want I don't care. You can all state how you would all beat a woman beater or a bully if you see them in action but you and I know that doing so may well be a completely different story. I'm not praising these people for heavens sake, I'm just stating some truth that is obviously quite painful to admit for most of us. The fact is that woman beaters and bullies are anything BUT cowards.

I will answer this whole thing. Any man who rises his hands to hurt a woman for no reason is a coward. Any one you goes to hurt someone weaker then them is a coward. Because when it comes down to it they will only hurt those that are weaker then them.

But when someone much strong comes along they run and hide. The rob a bank. There a coward because they are not man enough to go out and get a job like a really man would (or woman). Bullies woman beaters, robbers, men who force women to have sex. They are strong people. A strong man does not beat on his wife. A strong man does not beat on someone weaker then him. A strong man does not rob others. Cowards do that.

20. Darth_Jeremy

Darth_Jeremy Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2002
    Hey, anidanami, let's say that two guys are attacking you in a dark alley. One of them holds you down and the other takes out a knife and is about to cut your throat. You try to be non-violent and yell for help but no one stops to help you. What would you do? Keep yelling for help or take matters into your own hands and fight your way out the situation?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What to do about Bullies?

Just keep on handing over your lunch money and we'll be fine... ;)

22. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    One of them holds you down and the other takes out a knife and is about to cut your throat. You try to be non-violent and yell for help but no one stops to help you. What would you do? Keep yelling for help or take matters into your own hands and fight your way out the situation?

And that has what to do with bullies in a school? Oh wait it has nothing to do with bullies in school. Do you think people are bring kinfes to school?

On the street it's a whole other ball game. In school is different. The school yard is not the streets of New York, or Det, or LA.

23. Special_Fred

Jul 30, 2003
    Do you think people are bring kinfes to school?

Yeah, actually...happens all the time...

24. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Yeah, actually...happens all the time...

Well if that is happening here's what you do. You go to a teacher and tell them. You don't handle it yourself. Your in school let the teachers handle it.

25. Special_Fred

Jul 30, 2003
    That's what happens...how do you think I find out about it? There are always stories in the local paper about how kids get busted for carrying weapons on campus. I for one would like to see the faculty armed, but that's an argument I can win in the gun control thread. 8-}

EDIT:

And that has what to do with bullies in a school? Oh wait it has nothing to do with bullies in school.

I think Darth_Jeremy's point was that when you are attacked, it's quite unlikely that help is going to be there for you. Sometimes you must take matters into your own hands and fight for your own safety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.